Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod

Go down 
+40
bigdave
matt270avian
highwaywarrior
charlieRobinson
Jamax
J. Chris Davis
robotennis61
GMFreak8
helodown66
VJD2
Eldo
KillaKeninaRiv
99prixgt
Snowdog
98riv
vendetta
Rickw
SuperRiv07
Supercharged
TonySmooth89
Shintsu
'96reese
albertj
Kustom Kreationz
ewolfe0050
Buickman104
palermocorey90
jax95riv
turtleman
dreww
Jack the R
RivMan
deekster_caddy
T Riley
AA
racinfan
oldsman105
Mr.Riviera
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 6:08 pm

OK I'm kind of stuck.

I ordered the banjo bolts for the F-body calipers from WBS on 10/7/08. I emailed to see If they had gone out about a week later. Mike replied telling me that they had gone out of stock on them and had to switch suppliers and that he would get them shipped out to me immediately. About a week ago, now, I emailed back asking about the status of the order and Mike replied telling me that the order went out a couple weeks ago...
Still no bolts or messages... Still have brakes on the car that are turning my wheels black and noise thats compteting with my exhaust for being louder and I'll now be doing this in 30F snowing weather. Not happy.

Any ideas? I can't find these bolts anywhere else!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 6:13 pm

I just got some from ZZP. They had them in stock and i had a pair in two days time. Email zoomer and he will sell them separately as opposed to the whole Kit.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 6:27 pm

Surprising to hear that from Mike. I'd tell him you've waited long enough, and now it's time for a refund.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 12:19 pm

"I'm not sure what to do and unfortunately we're out of stock now. I'm happy to have ZZP fulfill this order for you (we work with them on certain items). If that's acceptable please let me know and we'll get it done.

Mike Kopstain"

If I were Mike, I probably would have tried doing this a couple weeks ago but we'll see what happens. If he does what he says, I should have these bolts in 1-3 days easy. ZZP usually gets my order to me next day or maybe the following.
Back to top Go down
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

Name : Nick
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Ls1 Brake Swap + More   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 4:28 pm

I see all you riv guys posting up about yur Ls1 Brake Swaps, Well Im swapping to Ls1 brakes too, on my Firebird.

My firebird a 94 formula, and it has 10.9" Rotors with cast single piston calipers.
I just bought the entire brake and spindle setup locally for a mere 100$!
For the f-body lt1 to ls1 brake swap you need to swap to the newer spindles....

I have the pads, rotors, hubs, spindles, brake lines, sensors, ETC.
he even took it apart as one peice so that I dont have to assemble it all.
the LS1 brakes have aluminum calipers, with dual pistons (I think) and a 12" rotor.

After I get this brake setup on my car the plan to swap out these calipers for the corvette calipers, and then buy the 1" larger rotors, and the Swap brackets they sell for 150$. Then ill be running 13" rotors and they require 17" wheels (Luckily I bought my 18's last summer)

the brakes are sitting in the riviera's trunk until I have time to do what I gotta do.

also, I can sell the LT1 brakes for over half the price that I paid for the Ls1 brakes, I sure lucked out.

so I could potentially have a corvette brake setup for 2-300$, or just ls1 brakes for almost free!

pics soon
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 5:18 pm

if you happen upon another set let me know wink
the 95 and 96 rivs have to change out spindles too. (and i believe we need to swap struts out too, which mean changing upper and lower spring seats, and strut mounts...kinda sucks, but it would be well worth it IMO.
defiantly on my x-mis list. ("#2- new front end" -$900 lol )

Back to top Go down
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 5:38 pm

did you know, the calipers on the Lt1 fbody's are the same as the Riviera 95/96....

interesting factoid....

Why did my own personal thread get merged into this thread? I was about to post up progress pics and what not of my own personal situation?

the work was being done to a firebird, not to a riviera... therefore it belongs in the everything else section  no
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 6:56 pm

vendetta wrote:
did you know, the calipers on the Lt1 fbody's are the same as the Riviera 95/96....

interesting factoid....

What size rotors do the LT1s have? Aren't they 2 piston calipers too?
Back to top Go down
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 7:06 pm

TonySmooth89 wrote:
vendetta wrote:

interesting factoid....

What size rotors do the LT1s have? Aren't they 2 piston calipers too?

they are single piston and 10.9" rotors I beleive.... and its a steel caliper, ls1's have aluminum calipers

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d801cfc38.gif

^ Single piston

"V8-powered F-bodies had marginal 10.9-inch diameter rotors up front, and they were clamped by over-worked single-piston calipers made of cast iron. It wasn't until the LS1-powered cars were introduced in 1998 that GM wised up and increased the front brake rotor diameter to 12 inches. On those earlier LT1 cars, however, you could find yourself in trouble really quick if you had to slow down in a hurry from a buck twenty!"
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 8:21 pm

Quote :
Why did my own personal thread get merged into this thread? I was about to post up progress pics and what not of my own personal situation?

the work was being done to a firebird, not to a riviera... therefore it belongs in the everything else section

I'll try to explain this the best I can. I know it's not easy to digest, considering how some other forums operate, but please hear me out.

At our board, when it comes to tech issues, the threads are primarily for the benefit of every member here, so the pride of ownership (being "your" thread) takes a back seat. Anything tech-related, it may be merged to a similar thread so that we have more info focused in a one area. Please don't take it personal, it applies to everyone, myself included. This way, we don't have 3 dozen F-body brake threads scattered randomly around the board.

I know it seems that a write-up on a Fire-bird would belong in the "Everything Else" forum, but we don't put any tech posts there because Everything Else is one of our Discussion forums. Your write-up goes in the General Tech section, under Brakes & Suspension, and it fits right in with our F-body thread, which several members have contributed to, including yourself.

I'd suggest posting whatever you have in this thread. Your info might teach us more about the F-body brakes. If it starts looking like your posts need to have their own thread, I'll split the topic and move them back. If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM. Thx.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 5:38 pm

Pointless....

how are Fbody pics going to help you guys out at all?

here is my photobucket account link....

https://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/9StreetGhost0/

I took detailed pics of all the components and measure out the rotors and what not....

next Im going to finish cleaning and then paint the calipers and paint the rest of the parts nice glossy black

Yesterday I cleaned and Painted Everything, Hunter Green (Racing Green HiTemp) for the calipers to match my Polo Green Metallic Firebird.  and Gloss Black for the spindles to hide behind my nice black wheels.

Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 P1010336ux9
Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 P1010338cs2
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 7:28 pm

Finally got the banjo bolts on Wed. so I've started getting those calipers put on. Everything up until now went very smoothely. I just did the right side and everything is bolted up but I can't get pedal pressure back. I bled it by myself by hooking a catch bottle up to the opened bleeder and pumped it. I filled the bottle about half way with old fluid and then refilled the master cylinder with new fluid. Now, with the bleeder shut, I've been pumpinghte pedal for a while and pressure is not coming back and fluid level at the master cylinder doesn't change.

I'm about to go to work and grab a vacuum pump and rebleed it and see what happens. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Vacuum pump worked fine.

bracket & rotor on

bighead 10.9 bracket bolts

I never thought to get bracket bolts until I tried to put the new bracket on. I took a trip to Ace and got 4 grade 10.9 oversized head bolts (12mm x 1.75pitch). I'm kind of proud of those..

brake sandwich

brake sandwich

pads on

ceramic pads with the two grooves in the lining

good shit

grease

all on

calipers bolted up

caliper

wheel on

good clearance

clearance with s/c wheels is A-ok
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 2:48 am

Nice job! I think it was mentioned early in this thread, pumping the brakes to bleed lines is not recommended with ABS systems, and can actually damage parts of the system. I use a vac pump - makes it so much faster and easier, imo.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 3:05 am

DAM! that looks NICE! wonder if i could ever find somethign like that one day from here :/
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 7:59 am

Nicely done! Those are some big pads!

Thanks for sharing. Looks really nice.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 12:21 pm

Turtleman,
Did you use Caliper paint or plain high heat paint?

Just curious as I'm doing a couple of set's now, myself. Have bead blasted, cleaned, rebuilt and prepped for paint.
Will have a completely rebuilt set up for sale soon.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 1:33 am

Rickw wrote:
Turtleman,
Did you use Caliper paint or plain high heat paint?

Just curious as I'm doing a couple of set's now, myself. Have bead blasted, cleaned, rebuilt and prepped for paint.
Will have a completely rebuilt set up for sale soon.

rattle can caliper paint
I tried using the brush on caliper paint on a test caliper and FAIL (at least for me)
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 5:10 pm

I used duplicolor brake caliper spray, still holding up after 6 months +.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 5:12 pm

Thanks for the input.
The reason i asked was that Duplicolor also makes a High Heat Paint that has the exact spec's, 500* Ceramic, as the paint marked specifically for calipers.
I thought I would save some money and buy the high heat stuff but I don't want skimp on this project now and chance early failure of the paint.
Back to top Go down
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 1:10 am

did sum researching and it appears that inorder for this mod to work on my 96 i will a 97 or newer steering knuckle, lower control arm, hub bearing assembly, strut assembly, and maybe outer tie rods. good news is i have located a 97 riv with all of this on there. i just have to make it over now to get the parts....but its tooooooo damn cold -5 wind chill is not fun weather.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 8:50 am

Reese,
When your ready, I still have one pair of rebuilt F-Body LS1 dual piston caliper kits for sale if your interested.
Check the "For Sale" section on this site.
Rick
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:55 am

'96reese wrote:
did sum researching and it appears that inorder for this mod to work on my 96 i will a 97 or newer steering knuckle, lower control arm, hub bearing assembly, strut assembly, and maybe outer tie rods. good news is i have located a 97 riv with all of this on there. i just have to make it over now to get the parts....but its tooooooo damn cold -5 wind chill is not fun weather.

97 steering knuckle & strut and spring assembly. I didn't change the control arms when I did it.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 10:24 pm

is this all i need for the lower part of the swap on a 96?
**see #10 below**

it show the knuckle being 10.40. that's seems too cheap. the 96's hub,LCA,and everything (except for the strut) will bolt up allowing the f-body caliper brackets to work right?

Last edited by Mr.Riviera on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 10:30 pm

Don't know what your looking at, but the Steering Knuckles on that site are priced $188.45 for left and $201.82 for right side.
I looked up 1997 Suspension Components.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 10:37 pm

Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 AD95116
#10 is called steering knuckle right for $10.40
your price sounds about right though

after looking some more, it seems the #10 is just the bolt for the knuckle :/
boo
the actual knuckles price seems to be $278.72 each.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod   Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: F-Body Brake Mod
Page 8 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next