Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Fuel Filters

Go down 
+33
TonySmooth89
palermocorey90
Chicken
1wickedninja
97chargedriv
dreww
jordynarz
oldsman105
racinfan
1998 Riv
albertj
Jason
deekster_caddy
ewolfe0050
xxsupergman25xx
turtleman
ibmoses
TType_Riviera
jimmyriv
RhinoFLA
jonly
SpaceBar
Brad95Riv
HirohataMerc
Mr.Riviera
SoCal Riv
robertwolf86
AA
NO 4 EVR
98riv
T Riley
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 1:29 pm

Well, on the "IN" side of the filter, debris and sediment have been collecting on that side of the filter surface. When gas comes back out that way, I imagine a certain amount of that crap comes out with it. But if there's a lot of it in the outflow you see, I imagine it means your filter was getting pretty dirty.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 4:55 pm

Yes, fuel will look very dirty pouring out the 'in' side, or pre-filter side of the filter. That's where all the crap is saved until you replace the filter...
Back to top Go down
aerosurfer
Special

Name : Nick
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Fuel Filter Rusted On... advice....   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:38 pm

Hey people,

Just found this website and enjoying reading about all the good info.

I have a 99 Regal GS. Yesterday I was attempting to change the Fuel Filter, got the Clipped on line off no problemo, but the part that screws on is quite rusted. Hit it with PB Blaster and a good effort with my Vice grips. Still no sign of getting it off. Whats involved with simply taking off the line along the under carraige? Or any other suggestions for working it off? Man I wish it was like my F150, clips on both sides!

Thanks
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:50 pm

Use the wrenches that are made for the fuel line fittings. I think they are called flare nut wrenches. Otherwise you may round them off and ruin everything, if you have not already done so.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
aerosurfer
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:53 pm

Thats why I stopped, it was starting to wear, I'll look into that, but there was so much rust on the coupling, even if I get it to spin off, Im not sure I'd be able to get it clean enough to get back together. Had the car 2 years, but FF looks original.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:56 pm

aerosurfer wrote:
Thats why I stopped, it was starting to wear, I'll look into that, but there was so much rust on the coupling, even if I get it to spin off, Im not sure I'd be able to get it clean enough to get back together. Had the car 2 years, but FF looks original.

If you have a shop you can trust you might be better off to let them change it this first time. Once they get it off, without ruining the fitting, it wont be so bad next time.
I would think you could get a shop to change it labor and filter for less than $40.00. You will spend that much rounding up the tools, and gas money...
Bert
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

Name : Don
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 1:40 am

Bert is right. The one on the Riv was really hard to get off. I used a metric open end and a fuel line wrench. Penetrating oil would help when you spray it on the fitting needs tapped a little to help the oil work. Also tighten it a little then try to get it off. It will sooner or later. But unless you are having a performance problem it probably will not matter.
Back to top Go down
aerosurfer
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 10:55 am

No performance issues... just trying to update what hasnt been done in awhile. I'm gonna go look for the flare nut wrenches. Is it possible to just remove the whole line, filter and all, and replace it with new? Cant seem to find anything about fuel lines on a part search
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 6:58 pm

1. Unclip the line from filter.

2. Soak threaded fittings with PB Blaster for 20 minutes (do NOT heat).

3. If line (flare) wrenches are not available, or if stripped, use two pair of vice grips to break the nuts lose.

4. Change fuel filter frequently (every year or ~20k miles) for easier removal.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 7:08 pm

The larger auto parts store sell a kit that includes the special tube end and fitting that screws into filter. This allows you to cut line with a tubing cutter and use compression fitting to replace section of line cut out.
All necessary parts are in kit as this is common.
Get kit before any cutting!!!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Rusty fuel line at filter   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 12:19 am

So I'm replacing the fuel filter tomorrow. I was going to do it today but saw how rusty the line and fitting was and decided to hold off. I did soak it down with pb blaster, we'll see what happens in the morning. I'm thinking at this point my best approach is to hold the line still and try to spin the filter instead.

Does anyone know if it's just regular 3/8 line, or if they used a metric fitting?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 7:01 am

I had the same problem when I changed my filter the last time.
I soaked it and got it free using vise grips. Figuring I would re visit the issue of replace the section of metal line coming from the filter and going forward.
I've since forgotten about it till now.
The problem I remember is the metal fuel line comes off the filter and makes an abrupt 90* turn and then another 90* shortly thereafter.
This section will need to be cut out and duplicated then use a compression fitting to connect the repair to the existing line.
If you figure out the solution and get the proper sizes needed please record what you got and let me know as I will have to do this soon myself.
I try and replace my filter every year before the winter.

EDIT: I did recently see a GM fuel line repair kit at Advanced Auto in the "HELP" section of the store that contains a 3/8" Diameter by about a foot long section of flared tubing with the nut that is supposed to fit the fuel filter. I would tear the bag and make sure it fit our fuel filter first then all you have to do is bend the fuel line to match the original and put a compression fitting on the end, the kit may even come with the comp fitting I can't remember.
Rick

Last edited by Rickw on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 8:06 am

Derek,
Look above for edit.
I forgot about the repair kit I saw some time ago.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 11:06 am

Thanks Rick. I ended up with the vice grip to hold the line still and turning the filter. The line nut is rusted solid to themline, I don't dare try to turn it.

It's not a normal 'old' style 3/8 flare nut fitting, but I do think it's 3/8 line. If the repair kit has the right fitting it would certainly help. I took a couple pictures while I was under there, will post em up later.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 1:39 pm

I had to go to Advanced Auto for something else but while I was there I pulled a fuel filter to fit our car and found the
Fuel Line Repair Kit - Dorman # 800-153 is the correct kit for our car.
It consists of tube 18" long by 3/8" dia. with proper O-ring fitting swedged end with O-rings and compression fitting for $13.00.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 11:57 am

The fuel filter showing the rusty line:

FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 Web

The line. See how it goes back to un-rusty as soon as you get away from the fuel filter pocket? Must be moisture trapping in that raised area, or something. frown

FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 Web

sorry about the large size pics!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 12:23 pm

Pics aren't too big. Vertical images are great because they don't stretch the page left/right. Thanks for posting the photos!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 7:15 pm

Shit. Trying to replace my filter and u get the new one on and it's leaking after I start and pressurize the car. Wtf oring or gasket do I need to seal this thing shut?
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Leak is on quick disconnect side. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:08 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
Leak is on quick disconnect side. Any ideas?

If you still have the old filter, try to hook it back up and see if it also leaks with the old filter. If it doesn't, there is something wrong with the filter you bought. I know you probably already checked, but make sure sure that you have it pushed in all the way.

Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks, 98riv. It was an oring issue. I wasn't having any issues previously, just preventive maintenance stuff as I didn't know the last time it was replaced by a previous owner.

Anyways, I couldn't tell if an oring was supposed to be in the female side of the quick disconnect part of the fuel filter. I would get it connected, then turn the car on to pressurize and BLAST! Fuel everywhere! shit!

I assumed it was a gasket or oring issue. After finally deciding that had to be it, I found a ring in the oring part of the parts bin that fit nice and snug. Clicked it on tight and blamo, im good to go.

Thanks, team!
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:49 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
Thanks, 98riv. It was an oring issue. I wasn't having any issues previously, just preventive maintenance stuff as I didn't know the last time it was replaced by a previous owner.

Anyways, I couldn't tell if an oring was supposed to be in the female side of the quick disconnect part of the fuel filter. I would get it connected, then turn the car on to pressurize and BLAST! Fuel everywhere! shit!

I assumed it was a gasket or oring issue. After finally deciding that had to be it, I found a ring in the oring part of the parts bin that fit nice and snug. Clicked it on tight and blamo, im good to go.

Thanks, team!

Did you make sure to get one that is rated for contact with fuel?

Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:51 pm

No, I did not. I probably should do that, huh?
Are those kind of orings considered a specialty part? I mean, can I find it locally or do I have to order it?

I found it at Rockauto. Should I order or can I pick a set up tomorrow at the store?
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 9:58 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
No, I did not. I probably should do that, huh?
Are those kind of orings considered a specialty part? I mean, can I find it locally or do I have to order it?

You might be able to find it at the dealer or you might get lucky if you bring in the old one to an auto parts store and match it up. I noticed Rockauto has some o-rings under the section called "fuel rail o-ring". I don't know if they would happen to be the same size, but you can check it out.

Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 10:03 pm

Shoot. you're right, theyre under that category and under fuel injector oring but no fuel filter oring. dang.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fuel Filters   FAQ: Fuel Filters - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Fuel Filters
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next