Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Center Console Removal

Go down 
+20
BMD
flyineagle96
albertj
charlieRobinson
stan
1998 Riv
98buickriv
turtleman
agrimm34
Rickw
krazyfish
palermocorey90
Chicken
'96reese
97rivman
97Riv-Jon
Jack the R
99Rivman
AA
BIGAL1128
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 9:51 am

I guess I should have started this from the beginning?

I have figured out a little different way to do this so I figured I would start it from the first thing that needs to be removed.
Aaron if you want to adjust/move these posts, feel free.
With these additional items there should be NO questions about removing and disassembling the console of our Rivieras … well I hope anyway?

I will start by editing this post and go from here …

The Service Manual reads as follows:

This would be the first step:
Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3710
Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3711

Last edited by 99Rivman on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
krazyfish
Enthusiast

Name : Jerred
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Awesome this helps alot. looking at the diagram it states to remove the shifter trim plate. how do i remove this.

The best i can tell is that the 4 screws on the trim under the armrest are attached to the same panel so those have to come out. but what about the rest of the shifter trim plate? is it just clipped in or are there more hidden screws?

With it in the way there are 2 screws i cannot remove.

Thanks abunch for the info you have already given!
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Next item to remove:
Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3910
Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3911
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 8:23 pm

Then remove this:
Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3510
Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3511
Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3512
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 8:24 pm

Then back to the original post:
Console (Buick)
Figure 44
Remove or Disconnect
1. Shifter trim plate, refer to procedure in this section.
2. Nuts (3), bolts (2).
3. Electrical connectors from console.
4. Console (5).

Install or Connect
1. Console (5) to vehicle.
2. Electrical connectors to console.
3. Nuts (3), bolts (2).
4. Shifter trim plate.

Pictured below:
There are 4 bolts (2) in red, 2 going into the front of the console, and 2 going into the bottom, near the shifter.

There are 2 nuts (3) in green, under the access cover near the rear of the console.

Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_4410

Hope this helps. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast

Name : Jerred
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 11:56 pm

thanks alot! i believe i shouldnt have any trouble doing this tomorrow. i really appreciate the help.
Back to top Go down
agrimm34
Amateur

Name : Andy Grimm
Merit : 0

PostSubject: wood trim (gear shifter)   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Anyone know how to remove the piece of wood trim that surrounds the gear shifter? and also how to remove the whole center console piece?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 11:18 pm

The wood trim itsself is glued to a metal plate which is secured to the top of the center consol with pushnuts. You have to remove the top piece of the center consol which is pretty easy, then remove the pushnuts un the bottom.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 3:09 am

Randall, thanks for all of the diagrams and info, this was really helpful!

For all reading this write-up, also reference Jack the R's write-up for wood dash install here:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/interior-f20/write-up-bd-trims-wood-dash-kit-install-t1341.htm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
98buickriv
Special
98buickriv

Name : AJ Gee
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 12:04 am

ok i seriously cannot find the clip to take the shifter knob off can anyone help me or put some pics on of where it is real pics instead of a diagram
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 12:17 am

As I recall, it's on the front side of lower handle grip, the side that faces your dash. May need a needle nose pliers to pull it? Pull your shifter all the way back and you should be able to get a good look at it.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 8:30 pm

98buickriv wrote:
ok i seriously cannot find the clip to take the shifter knob off can anyone help me or put some pics on of where it is real pics instead of a diagram

Slight delay but ... as requested:

Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Shifte10

Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Shifte11

I use a pocket screw driver to get the clip loose from the shifter knob, something very small because it is usually into the leather wrap pretty tight, then I use some plyers to finish the removal.

Hope this helps thumbsup
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 8:45 pm

ohh thanx for the pics Randall,i myself knew where the goddamn clip is but never looked to see for myself now i know the exact location.Thanks.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 7:36 pm

I am trying to take the console out but I am having some screw problems. They keep turning but not rising. they just spin in place. Anyone have this problem? How do you get a screw out that won't rise!?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 9:20 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
I am trying to take the console out but I am having some screw problems. They keep turning but not rising. they just spin in place. Anyone have this problem? How do you get a screw out that won't rise!?

Try putting a magnet on the screwdriver. Try using pliers (needlenose maybe dep on screw) to grab it by the head and ease it out. Try a little wad of sticky-tak or strip-calk to stick to the screw head and pull it out. Try pulling back on the screw while turning if it's just the case that the speednut the screw is in has stripped from its mounting.
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 9:31 pm

I wish i knew there was a clip their,i put mine in first gear and pulled that handle off,after words i was wondering where all the blood was coming from looked at my hand,o shit i cut my fingers right to the bone right across the seams.that sucked bad ever time i would open hand rip more blood I crazy glued them all better!!! rolleyes
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 10:00 pm

albertj wrote:
charlieRobinson wrote:

Try putting a magnet on the screwdriver. Try using pliers (needlenose maybe dep on screw) to grab it by the head and ease it out. Try a little wad of sticky-tak or strip-calk to stick to the screw head and pull it out. Try pulling back on the screw while turning if it's just the case that the speednut the screw is in has stripped from its mounting.

Thanks for the reply and I wish it was that simple. They are still threaded in there. I have 3 on the top console hatch and 1 on the ashtray that WILL NOT RISE. puzzled

I got the top left one but the other 3 just spin in their threads without moving up. I've dealt with stripped screws but I have never seen a screw that does this! And 3 of them!?
Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 CenterConsoleHatch

Same thing is happening here.. Screw on the left of the ashtray came out like a good screw should, but the one on the right? It just spins! I push from the back of it, try to help it out, but it won't rise through the threading. I don't want to break the stupid thing but jeez. I dont even need an ash tray and I would like to get a 10" touch screen in there anyways. so the option of breaking the thing out isn't out of the question.
Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 FrontCConsole
And here is all the treasure I found behind the cd holder thing. bank receipts from the guy I bought the car from.. I wish I had as much money in my account! and coupons from, what must have been the original owner, 1998.
Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Reciepts
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 10:42 pm

Sounds like the head of the screw has detached from the rest. I would carfully try to drill into those screws and see if the heads will spin up onto the bit.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 10:59 pm

BMD wrote:
Sounds like the head of the screw has detached from the rest. I would carfully try to drill into those screws and see if the heads will spin up onto the bit.

good idea! I have been collecting tools for the last few years and I have the perfect bit to use for this. I will try again in the morning with the screw driver and try to macgyver it but if that doesn't cut it I will try the drill.

Also, the heads are still on the screws, they turn with pressure and don't turn freely
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Ok, so let me get this right. The screws holding the console down are:

2 under the 'secret' hatch in the armrest compartment and
4 under the shifter, which you have to pop the laminate wood off to get to?

is that correct?
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 11:35 am

charlieRobinson wrote:
Ok, so let me get this right. The screws holding the console down are:

2 under the 'secret' hatch in the armrest compartment and
4 under the shifter, which you have to pop the laminate wood off to get to?

is that correct?
Probably too late to help you but that is almost correct, two at the front of the console and two near the shifter.

As stated in this post:
99Rivman wrote:
Then back to the original post:
Console (Buick)
Figure 44
Remove or Disconnect
1. Shifter trim plate, refer to procedure in this section.
2. Nuts (3), bolts (2).
3. Electrical connectors from console.
4. Console (5).

Install or Connect
1. Console (5) to vehicle.
2. Electrical connectors to console.
3. Nuts (3), bolts (2).
4. Shifter trim plate.

Pictured below:
There are 4 bolts (2) in red, 2 going into the front of the console, and 2 going into the bottom, near the shifter.

There are 2 nuts (3) in green, under the access cover near the rear of the console.

Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_4410

Hope this helps. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 2:13 pm

So my cup holder lid just dis-engaged and dropped back under the ashtray, so I am trying to remove the trim plate, but after removing the four screws, it still fees fastened down around the shifter and cup holder area. Are you just supposed to pull up on it at this point?
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 12:08 pm

BMD wrote:
So my cup holder lid just dis-engaged and dropped back under the ashtray, so I am trying to remove the trim plate, but after removing the four screws, it still fees fastened down around the shifter and cup holder area. Are you just supposed to pull up on it at this point?
Late once again but yes, you just pull up on it.

There are four clips that hold it in, two at the front edge of the wood trim and two that are around the middle point of the trim.

The instruction are here:
99Rivman wrote:
Then remove this:
Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3510
Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3511
Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Fig_3512
And, you can see where the clips go in this picture:

Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 _99_sa26

The clips are where the felt is at in the picture.
Back to top Go down
RivieraParadise
Amateur
RivieraParadise

Name : Todd
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 2:10 pm

hey 97Riv-Jon... thanks for the EXPLODED view, i'm chasing down creaky squeaky noises, and this was a big help !
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 4:29 am

Well, I waaas thinking of adding a leather shifter boot from a regal to my shifter but I guess this whole surgery is required to do so?

More importantly, you suppose it'd even fit in there??

Bah...I'm going to fab up a retention ring to line the base of the leather boot I just pulled off of a regal so I can top-mount it in that first ledge of the shifter opening above the plated gear covers. This way it'll be less invasive and I won't have to disassemble the whole beast. Getting to the one in the regal today was more than enough of that fun for one lifetime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Center Console Removal   Write-Up: Center Console Removal - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Center Console Removal
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next