Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses

Go down 
+57
IFallsRon
h20man
joshuadalegrimes
Sir Psycho Sexy
llamalor2112
matt270avian
charlieRobinson
ALR37115
HeartBeatRivi
c0reyl
Jelorian
gmann3001
96riv
BMD
jlaw
ghpcnm
IBx1
nebstewart07
bigdave
GMFreak8
Steve98
robotennis61
steve s
1wickedninja
#1BearsFan
woggy
dnyce200
DEMonte1997
Eldo
Rickw
ibmoses
albertj
Sweepspear
sburch23
curious riv
deekster_caddy
KillaKeninaRiv
TonySmooth89
Shintsu
manofmany
nothincame2mind
palermocorey90
Jack the R
jimmyriv
Buapo
SpaceBar
97Riv-Jon
turtleman
Rivgirl06
Mr.Riviera
99Rivman
Andysdorm
jax95riv
1998 Riv
AA
xxsupergman25xx
T Riley
61 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Name : Kenneth
Merit : 6

Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2008 5:21 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
1998 Riv wrote:
What kind of "cleaning" are you trying to do to the inside? Are they dirty? I wouldn't think they'd get dirt inside.

But they yellow on the inside... I've cleaned the outsides with all kinds of stuff, but the insides are still yellow. frown

yeah..and ive gotten a bit better results cleaning inside more than i did on the outside. im going to pick a pair up from the junkyard to experiment on since they are only a few bucks.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2008 11:47 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Hey Dave, I though somewhere in this thread you had posted the GM part numbers for the cornering lenses. Do you still have the numbers, or remember where they are?

Couldn't find the full list here, but they are on the rivfaq site:

w/o cornering bulbs:

95-96R 5976456
95-96L 5976455
97-99R 16524980
97-99L 16524979

w/cornering bulbs:

95-96R 5976414
95-96L 5976413
97-99R 16524978
97-99L 16524977
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2008 3:42 pm

I've heard diesel fuel works really good. I havn't tried it yet. So I don't know if it will do more harm than good.(u've been warned)
I'll try it soon and get back w how well it works, for how long and if it can be trusted not t do nodamage
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2008 4:21 pm

I wouldn't think it would be very effective. Seems more like it would remove grime from the surface, not the actual yellowed layer of plastic. Let us know how it goes. What I like about the sanding kits is this includes a coating substance to protect the new finish. I'll have to go over mine during the winter, ran out of garage time this fall.
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 4:44 pm

mine are actually holding up quite well from the brillo pad and brasso scrubbing i gave it. they look damn good
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 10:16 am

I tried the deisel fuel and it worked for about 2 days. They looked alot better- now they look alot yellower. DON'T USE DEISEL TO CLEAN YOUR CORNERS. Unless you like them yellow, then it will work just fine.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 8:44 pm

I bought a Permatex kit at AutoZone today and plan to try it out this weekend. Stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 9:32 pm

sburch23 wrote:
I bought a Permatex kit at AutoZone today and plan to try it out this weekend. Stay tuned.

I had noticeable results with it. I felt like if i had been more patient i could've done better too.
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 11:09 am

c-taylor-6 wrote:
I tried the deisel fuel and it worked for about 2 days. They looked alot better- now they look alot yellower. DON'T USE DEISEL TO CLEAN YOUR CORNERS. Unless you like them yellow, then it will work just fine.

lmfao lmfao
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 11:19 am

oops bonk
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 22, 2008 10:48 am

Buapo wrote:
Final picture is in. I know that it's kind of dark, I've been taking all of these with my cell phone.

You can see that the corner is very close to the color of the headlight, if not dead on. Thank god the headlight isn't plastic, this would have taken even longer. And I took 10 minutes PER lense, not for the whole job... lousy lyin' packaging...

I'm quoting an old post here, but the headlight lenses on my '96 are plastic.
They were yellowed along with the cornering lamps.
Should they be glass?

I cleaned mine up using Meguiar's clear plastic cleaner and polish I have on hand and a power ball or whatever it is called.
(1st thing I have found it is actually worth a damn for.)

I have been thinking, why does the plastic used for headlights etc. on all these newer cars yellow like they do? suspect
Clear plastics used on older cars such as the turn lenses and cornering lamps on my '70 Riviera are as clear as the day they were molded 38 years ago.
You never saw this until the last 10 years or so.

Seems to be surface oxidization since it can be cleaned off.

scratch
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 22, 2008 12:30 pm

My experiences have been that the yellowing happens on the INSIDE of the lens, not the outside. There is no amount of work I can do to the outside of my lenses that takes the yellowing away. I can see that the outside is polished clear, and there is some depth to the yellow part, about 1/4 inch below the surface. That's why these are such a pain to fix. You have to take them off and do whatever cleaning/polishing to the inside.

I have seen many headlight lenses from the late 80s that yellowed over, or the seal was bad and the chrome/reflecitve stuff inside rusted, there have been many poor designs of composite headlights before they seem to have gotten it right in the last few years.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Dale: how much tme does/has your '70 RIv spent parked in teh sunlight?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 22, 2008 3:26 pm

albertj wrote:
Dale: how much tme does/has your '70 RIv spent parked in teh sunlight?

Albertj

It's been garaged since I bought it 13 years ago.
It was a Texas anf the South Dakota car before then.

Why do you ask? My comment on the lenses still being clear?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 22, 2008 4:43 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
My experiences have been that the yellowing happens on the INSIDE of the lens, not the outside. There is no amount of work I can do to the outside of my lenses that takes the yellowing away. I

Did you try the Crystalview?

There is definitely massive oxidation happening on the outside of the lenses.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 22, 2008 5:30 pm

Jack the R wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:
My experiences have been that the yellowing happens on the INSIDE of the lens, not the outside. There is no amount of work I can do to the outside of my lenses that takes the yellowing away. I

Did you try the Crystalview?

There is definitely massive oxidation happening on the outside of the lenses.

No, I've tried a whole bunch of different things and the outside of the lenses looks very clear. You can see that the insides are yellowed when you are up close to it.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 22, 2008 5:52 pm

i removed them and let the wife clean them. She sprayed em with some of her household stuff and then put them in the dishwasher a few times...

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 22, 2008 7:00 pm

That's the smartest thing I've heard yet.
A long time ago I got caught cleaning my spoked hub caps in the dishwasher, did an excellent job!!!
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 22, 2008 11:12 pm

You know, I really didn't have any "yellowing", they just weren't clear anymore. No yellow to it at all though, just foggy. I still haven't cleaned my originals with the CV kit, maybe this winter.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 5:59 pm

Hey guys, about the Crystal View - what does it cost to get shipped? I've looked on their site and they won't tell you the cost of shipping when you go to checkout and I can't see anywhere to calculate it without entering all your billing info and then just paying whatever they tell you it will cost. It says n/a next to the shipping but no where does it say free so I'd like to know the cost before buying. I looked everywhere locally and no one has any idea what this stuff is so I'm just going to have to order it.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 8:07 pm

I don't remember the exact price but it was a normal S&H fee. Of course that could have changed by now with the recession/depression and all.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptySat May 16, 2009 12:03 am

jax95riv wrote:
Off topic...How was the audio clip attached to this thread???

Personally, I think he used a transparent script to embed a clip from the "Mad Max" Boattail Riviera parody... thumbsup
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 3:37 pm

I used brasso and a degreaser to remove the oxidation, which worked, but now they are cloudy. is there any way to make them clear without buying any of this cleaner stuff? removing the headlights is a PITA too!
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 4:22 pm

Huh? They come out easy on my 98. What was the problem?

The products that seem to work best/last longest, include a sealant to apply after the outer layer is removed. I still have my CV kit and original lenses on the shelf, maybe this summer I'll put the stuff to use.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 4:22 pm

might b getto,,, but im gunna get rid of the yellow by painting them black bonk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses   Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Yellowed Corner Lenses
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next