Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses

Go down 
+32
Bowersk
Garret
nebstewart07
BlownRiv
bullseye-shawn
AA
LaFlare
flyineagle96
Rickw
robotennis61
95rivy
KillaKeninaRiv
albertj
1998 Riv
Eldo
L8-2BNGO
ZEP
Mr.Riviera
captshiner
palermocorey90
1wickedninja
TonySmooth89
brmcm15
texasfan010
turtleman
Shintsu
DEMonte1997
Snowdog
ewolfe0050
97 park ave
curious riv
ghost88
36 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
ghost88
Enthusiast

Name : Abe
Merit : 6

Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses Empty
PostSubject: Can you blackout headlights on a Rivi like on a Regal??(Pic)   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 11:08 pm

The regal GS crowd (including myself) are in love with the idea of blacking out headlights by taking them apart and painting the non reflective surfaces black. Makes the front end look mean and was wondering if it can be done with the Rivieras lights.

Can the lights be taken apart with a heatgun or are they one piece?

Link
http://www.regalgs.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45003&hilit=headlight+write+up

Comparison on my last car
Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses 1-3
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:47 am

looks cool...
dunno bout the riv tho
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 2:06 pm

i believe that its the same concept as the regal, which is how i did my park avenue. if both the regal and PA can do it im sure its the same with the riv, its just that you might have to use your imagination because youre the first. IIRC the riviera has alot of surface on the light like the PA's which gives it a different look than the regals.

Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses Parkavenue030-2
Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses Parkavenue027-1

i personally like the look, i got my lights apart with a hair dryer and patience
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 2:12 pm

I did all my corners and tail lenses and had considered it for the front but decided against it... just one more thing for the police to give me hell about.
Back to top Go down
ghost88
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 2:29 pm

tyler your PA has def been one of my favs...im tinting out all my sidemarkers/tails, getting 18% tint and want to finish off to black look with the headlights. Im definetely gonna tackle this and post pics. I dont mind being the first to try lol
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 2:34 pm

ewolfe0050 wrote:
I did all my corners and tail lenses and had considered it for the front but decided against it... just one more thing for the police to give me hell about.
thats what i thought about when i did mine but i looked closely to the laws, im not sure how it is where you guys live but in MN it says that you arent aloud to have headlight COVERS. which if you paint the inside reflective material and it doesnt effect light output i dont see what the problem would be.

ghost88 wrote:
tyler your PA has def been one of my favs...im tinting out all my sidemarkers/tails, getting 18% tint and want to finish off to black look with the headlights. Im definetely gonna tackle this and post pics. I dont mind being the first to try lol
thanks! yea i was also the first from what i know for the park ave lights, and theres only 1 other right now so im sure youll like it. what color riv do you have?
Back to top Go down
ghost88
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 3:30 pm

its the dark teal color
http://www.regalgs.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=60940

Plans for the outside are tinting all the lights, windows, 8k HID lo/hi beams, led sequential tails and some nice 20" rims
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 1:58 pm

ghost88 wrote:
its the dark teal color
http://www.regalgs.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=60940

Plans for the outside are tinting all the lights, windows, 8k HID lo/hi beams, led sequential tails and some nice 20" rims

thats a nice lookin car, its going to look sick after youre done. i recomend the 3bspecialties.com HID's, they are a little spendy but were easy to install, and look great. they also have great customer service if you have any questions.

http://www.regalgs.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60634
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 2:34 pm

buy the hid's from ebay. they cost there from 40-60$ shipped.
i have buyed 3 kits from there. one has been on my other car for 2 years and still works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/hid-kit-xenon-conversion-H1-H3-H4-H7-H11-9005-9006-9007_W0QQitemZ200317092986QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Electronics_Parts_Accessories?hash=item200317092986&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 5:40 pm

Damn, looks like you beat me to it. Oh well. Hope it comes out good. I'll be second in line. LOL Tinted headlights on a black Riv will look good. happy
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 7:48 pm

Snowdog wrote:
buy the hid's from ebay. they cost there from 40-60$ shipped.
i have buyed 3 kits from there. one has been on my other car for 2 years and still works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/hid-kit-xenon-conversion-H1-H3-H4-H7-H11-9005-9006-9007_W0QQitemZ200317092986QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Electronics_Parts_Accessories?hash=item200317092986&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
thats the route i was thinking on taking until i heard about the relay harness that you need so your ballasts dont burn out, which is included in the 3bspecialties kit. i have yet to hear bad things about ebay hid kits, but at the same time have not heard recommendations either. i would much rather spend a little more to know im getting a name brand product that the company actually made instead of buying wholesale from china and then distributing on ebay. just my .02
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 9:07 pm

Hey, do those 3b's work on our cars with the Plug and Play or do you have to use the relay? I heard about some people having issues with their HID kits and they're all $100 and sound like the ones off eBay, ZZPerformance and other places...
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 10:27 pm

97 park ave wrote:

Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses Parkavenue030-2

That reminds me of a new charger with a billet grill or something.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 10:48 pm

turtleman wrote:
That reminds me of a new charger with a billet grill or something.
Hey, what's with the insult!? PAs look good, don't compare it to an ugly tacky and overdone Charger.
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:09 am

So how exactly do you black out the headlights? i was considering buying used headlights and trying this but i dont want to fail.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 8:13 am

There is tinting paint which allows you to control the darkness of the tint but is permanent or a tinting film (which I used) that is very similar to the tint on windows. You can heat it up to bend and form it around corners.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 10:11 am

You crack open the housings and paint all non-forward facing chrome pieces either flat black or gloss black.

Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses Regalsiggg6
Back to top Go down
ghost88
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 10:43 am

[img]https://2img.net/h/i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/regalpimpin/Buick/DSC00196.jpg[/img

Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses 156-5619_IMG

Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses 156-5623_IMG

Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses 156-5617_IMG

Kind of gives you all a better idea of whats involved. You take a hairdryer or heat gun and slowly go around the silicon sealent between the lense and the housing and once its soft enough all you have to do it have a couple flathead screwdrivers to pry it open and pop the clips.

If anybody tries getting to this before me just know you dont want to sit there and heat one section for to long or else you'll melt/deform the housing.

Heres a more direct comparison
Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses L_76d7ca7555dc272ddf29c5dabe1409ea

Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses CIMG1699

Looking at all these old pics of the Regal is making me miss it more than ususal lol Cant wait to start the Rivi Project smile
Back to top Go down
ghost88
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 10:44 am

BTW rick just curious but have you ever really considered powdercoating your rims? With the look you got going now that would be the cherry on top lol
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 10:51 am

I would, but they are SLPs and pretty rare so I'm trying to keep them original.

Funny you mention it though because I've been wanting to do it for a while. smile Maybe if I get another set of rims, I'll try that out. You never know. wink
Back to top Go down
brmcm15
brmcm15

Name : Brandon
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 11:29 am

used the spary on tint off of ebay and looks really bad a$$ at nite with the ultra white lights.. shocked

_
Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses DSC00613
Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses DSC00610
Back to top Go down
brmcm15
brmcm15

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 11:30 am

except for the front lights i did not take them out i just put newspaper and tape around them but the taillight was easy to take out
Back to top Go down
ghost88
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 1:53 pm

brandom you got any more front or side shots of the tinted headlights?
Back to top Go down
brmcm15
brmcm15

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:13 pm

ghost88 wrote:
brandom you got any more front or side shots of the tinted headlights?

not right now cause im cars in the shop for a new engine and trans but ill post some more pics when i get it back..... i think it really only took like 45 mins to an hour
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:34 pm

Shintsu wrote:
Hey, do those 3b's work on our cars with the Plug and Play or do you have to use the relay? I heard about some people having issues with their HID kits and they're all $100 and sound like the ones off eBay, ZZPerformance and other places...
get the relay harness, ive had my kit for almost a month with no problems what so ever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next