Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses

Go down 
+32
Bowersk
Garret
nebstewart07
BlownRiv
bullseye-shawn
AA
LaFlare
flyineagle96
Rickw
robotennis61
95rivy
KillaKeninaRiv
albertj
1998 Riv
Eldo
L8-2BNGO
ZEP
Mr.Riviera
captshiner
palermocorey90
1wickedninja
TonySmooth89
brmcm15
texasfan010
turtleman
Shintsu
DEMonte1997
Snowdog
ewolfe0050
97 park ave
curious riv
ghost88
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 2:50 am

DEMonte1997 wrote:

Depending on the paint area conditions, you can also spray the floor down with a little water to prevent dust particles from becoming airborne. I do this when I'm painting because it's in a garage that is almost impossible to get completely dirt/dust free.

An incredibly simple but often overlooked idea... thumbsup
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 11:16 am

ZEP wrote:
Thanks for the help though, it is very straightforward.
no problem thumbsup , let me know how it works for you
Back to top Go down
LaFlare

Name : G
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 6:42 pm

97 park ave, can i get some input on the tinted lights/lenses?

your car is definitely clean man. my riv is that same color, and that's the theme i'm gonna go for. smoked lights + tint + black rims.

https://2img.net/h/oi55.tinypic.com/v446ci.jpg

but i don't wanna go too dark on any of the tint. i don't want a complete blacked out theme, i want the lights/lenses to match the level of the window tint, just perfect not too dark not too light.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 7:47 pm

LaFlare wrote:

the tail lights are done with VHT nite shades, apply coats until you like the darkness and then clear. i did the turn signals and side markers the same way, but "mr. riviera" got some vinyl tint for his turn signals that i might try the next time around.
the headlights are a whole different story, you dont touch the lens for any of it. what you do is seperate the clear lens from the black plastic housing, and paint the non-forward facing reflective material black. this causes the light itself to look darker without effecting the light output by putting something over the lense. let me know if you have any questions.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 1:58 am

97 park ave wrote:
LaFlare wrote:

the tail lights are done with VHT nite shades, apply coats until you like the darkness and then clear. i did the turn signals and side markers the same way, but "mr. riviera" got some vinyl tint for his turn signals that i might try the next time around.
the headlights are a whole different story, you dont touch the lens for any of it. what you do is seperate the clear lens from the black plastic housing, and paint the non-forward facing reflective material black. this causes the light itself to look darker without effecting the light output by putting something over the lense. let me know if you have any questions.

Can't really add much to what Tyler said but that I did use one light coat of niteshade followed by a few coats of clear after I tinted the insides of my headlights (just to make them a hair darker). Everything else I sprayed with niteshade until I got the level of tint I wanted and cleared over that for gloss and protection. I like Nason brand clear. Seems to hold up almost as good as professional clear (shot out of a gun). I've used Duplicolor and Rustoleum clear before and neither have lasted longer than a year or two. Nason has held up well for me.

Any other questions, ask away. smile

Thanks for the compliments smile
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: temp   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 8:23 am

i cant personally recommend nason, but its what im going to try next time. ive had too many bad experiences with duplicolor getting milky. either way OP, dont use duplicolor and i trust rick so i would give nason a try.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 1:33 pm

Whoa... looks like some crazy post sorting and condensing went on in here. lol smile
Back to top Go down
LaFlare

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 8:46 pm

foreals tho.

i really just wanted a thread full of everyone showcasing their tint, just so happened i had a few other questions. but i guess my thread was deleted and parts of it were sorted here and there and into different threads. :/
confused the hell outta me. in the window tint FAQ thread there's hardly any pics of rivs w/tint. i doubt ppl would post their pics in there seeing as that thread has been around for awhile. opposed to the separate thread i made. neutral
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:10 am

None of your posts were deleted, just reorganized. Don't take it personally; the same rules apply to all members. It's a simple concept: whenever you post on 3 entirely different subjects in the same thread, you can count on your post being split and merged to the correct locations. Rest assured, unless it's inappropriate material, nothing gets deleted here.

Our "old" threads don't die like some boards, they are kept current because the info is not time sensitive and still relevant - our cars are all at least 10 years old. Something posted 3 years ago is not any less useful now than it was then, and this info has helped many a Riv owner with their problems. I know it's confusing at first, but trust me, when you take the time to contribute something useful to the board, like a write-up, you'll appreciate that it wasn't buried or 'pruned' as is the case at some boards.

The board is intended to benefit the membership as a whole first, as individuals second. Hope you will understand. Thx. cool

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
bullseye-shawn
bullseye-shawn

Name : shawn
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 12:17 pm

AA thats one thing I love about this board. I was a member at HTTECH and D-series.org and pmfi.org and many others and if you posted something that is 2 months old you'd be flamed everytime. It got to the point I just quit posting cuz of the people. This forum just seems to be full of decent poeple that arent pricks. This has been my favorite board ive been on all cuz of my purchase of my riv.
Back to top Go down
LaFlare

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 2:45 pm

yeah, no problem. i was just confused at first. and this indeed is a great forum. been checking this place before i bought my riv, and once i did i just had to join happy
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 3:17 pm

AA wrote:
The board is intended to benefit the membership as a whole first, as individuals second. Hope you will understand. Thx. cool

you do a good job with it aaron! as said this board is very well kept, keep it up thumbsup
Back to top Go down
BlownRiv

Name : Name
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 6:40 am

If your going to nightshade your tail lights and like the finish on mine (pic below) follow these steps exactly. This is the way I did it on my T/A in the summer. 90% of nightshade jobs I see around here have a flat hazy look. I got pure gloss with this method. I will do the same to my riv in the spring.

3 coats of nightshade and 4 coats of duplicolor clear. I went with the idea of laying thick heavy coats to keep it glossy which just settled and died down to a flatter typical VHT look , so I took clear and applied heavy wet coats the key is to keep the clear wet looking without leaving drip marks same as if your painting a car with single stage paint. The only thing I did to prep these was wash them with dish soap and scrub them with the finest steel wool. I actually used the same soapy water while I did this which dulls them out and makes for a good surface for paint. The trick is to not get runs.I tore the car itself down and repainted it in pieces the previous year so I got plenty of practice with the keeping it glossy with runs method happy

Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 Tatinttails
Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 Tatintrear
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

Name : Ben Stewart
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Headlight Tinting   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 5:26 pm

I am wanting to make the headlights dark but I do know that you cannot use nightshade or tint them because for one you wont be able see anything and two i think it mught be illegal. I have heard of some people taking their headlights apart and painting the insides black which wouldnt take away light at all. are we able to do this with our headlights?. Can you do this with the corner lamp too? and I am just going to night shade the blinkers on the bottom along with the tailights and bottom side lights on the back
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 5:44 pm

painting the insides black takes away reflected light, which you need to see.

if you did a projector conversion and had a clear sheet vacuum-formed to take the place of the current lens that might work nice.

I do not know if these come apart BUT typically composite headlamps are put together with a glue that melts between 200 and 225F. Problem is the headlight plastic itslef begins to melt not much warmer like 240F. So I imagine it acn be done but might be smart to get a pair of junkyard composites, not the ones on the car right this minute.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

Name : Ben Stewart
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 4:10 am

ok guys is it possible that the search function is messed up on this sight because before this i searched for headlights and notihing came up about tinting them. I have noticed this several other times when searching for stuff too!
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Mine have a light coating of VHT over the outside, which did decrease light output somewhat. However, painting the non-forward facing pieces of the chrome housing did not decrease light output alone. I VHT'd the outsides because I wanted them to be a little darker. HID install brought the light output to way better than stock even with the tinted lens/painted housings.

Taking the headlamps apart is easy with a heat gun or hair dryer (lens and housing is glued together). I wouldn't go with the oven method.

The corner lights, on the other hand, are plastic welded and impossible to take apart without a dremel or other cutting tool. They are a pita to deal with. Lot of work went into those to make them match the headlights. frown
Back to top Go down
Garret
Rookie

Name : Garret
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Headlight & Tail light tint   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 1:42 pm

How much would this cost if I were to get my headlights and tail lights tinted black?
Back to top Go down
Bowersk
Enthusiast
Bowersk

Name : Bowers
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 3:27 pm

~$15 for a can of spray tint here. You just buy the spray tint from the local auto parts store and follow the write up in this thread.

That doesn't include the $ for the wax/grease remover. ~$5.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/kellybowers79
Garret
Rookie

Name : Garret
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 3:33 pm

So getting a can of tint spray and using that wouldn't make a difference in look? and does the car look better with the headlights and tail lights tinted? I think the paint job on my riviera is factory and a siliverish beige.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 6:09 pm

If you get VHT Niteshades (tint) at the local store, also pick up a quality clearcoat to go over that. When you spray the VHT on the lens, do a light coat. Wait 15 mins and then do a light coat of clear over that. Wait anothr 15 mins and repeat. Finish 15 mins after that with a wetter coat of clear to make the surface glossy (be careful not to overload so you don't get runs). You may or may not have to wetsand and polish the tinted piece when you're done to make it shine. Depends on how heavy you sprayed the last coat of clear.

HTH

Last edited by DEMonte1997 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BlownRiv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 4:51 pm

You shouldn't have to wetsand or polish anything if the clear is laid fast and thick. The surface should be kept as glossy looking as possible from the start of you applying clear. You also don't need to waste money on wax and grease remover you can use dish soap. Some body shops swear by dish soap as a remover before paint. One coat of VHT wont make it much darker then stock. You need several for a proper tinted look. Depending on how you want to go. 99% of VHT jobs are trash. I see them all over town and they all look terribly flat then you get people constantly waxing the tails to make them look good. Do it right the first time and you will be happy with the results.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 12:00 am

I just want to clarify that when I mention only putting a light coat on in my message above, I meant that for the headlights. For the tails I used three lighter coats and it came out quite dark.

HTH
Back to top Go down
BlownRiv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 11:05 am

Does anyone have any pictures of their results? 2 posters have posted results in here. At 7 pages long nearly full of text we should see photos of everyone who's done it by now.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 11:43 am

BlownRiv wrote:
Does anyone have any pictures of their results? 2 posters have posted results in here. At 7 pages long nearly full of text we should see photos of everyone who's done it by now.

page 3 has my pictures of the tinted blinkers and the video with the blinker on.

after a year on the car they still look good but i have noticed that it will eventually chip off due to bugs and washings every week.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses   Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Tinting Headlights, Turn Signals, & Tail Lenses
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next