Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

ZZP PCM Question

Go down 
+2
TonySmooth89
gotboost?
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gotboost?
Amateur

Name : Brandon
Merit : 0

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 2:04 am

Hey all. I just bought a 96 riv. I want to do the zzp pcm upgrade. I think they call it version 1.0. I want to upgrade to a 3.4 pully size to up the boost, will this pcm work for my application? Thanks.

Brandon.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 10:48 am

No and No!

And welcome!

The only option for a 96 riv PCM is buying a used DHP powrtuner and having someone send you the 96 riv .bin file.

Second , you don't want to drop to a 3.4 without supportive mods in place. You should at a minimum have a 3" downpipe and an intake ( or gutted air box), AL104 spark plugs and a 180* tstat, And for many that isn't even enough. You should also have a scanner before you drop pulley sizes. Some cars have knock in stock form , so you'll wanna be safe. If you're knocking believe me you'll be slower with a 3.4 than you are now.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 1:04 pm

I couldn't run the 3.4 until I put 1.9 rockers in my car. I should have started with a 3.5. I strongly recommend an MPS with a 3.5 to start. Get the extra airflow mods in place before dropping pullies any further. I also strongly recommend scanning for KR BEFORE and after the 3.5 install. I've seen stock pullies running with KR at WOT.
Back to top Go down
gotboost?
Amateur

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 5:54 pm

alright. Good info. I do have a gutted air box, but great information. Is there a site I can visit that can help me with my pcm tuning? Thanks, and sorry for the n00b questions.
Back to top Go down
EASHER
EASHER

Name : ERIK M. ASHER

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 10:46 pm

Intense Racing has pcm programming available and you can choose your options for the mods you have in place.
Back to top Go down
http://snardfarker.ning.com/profile/ERIKMASHER
gotboost?
Amateur

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptyFri Nov 21, 2008 11:48 am

Thats great. Thanks all for the help.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptyFri Nov 21, 2008 12:09 pm

EASHER wrote:
Intense Racing has pcm programming available and you can choose your options for the mods you have in place.

again though, it doesnt work on 96 rivs, only 97+ 3800 cars.
you could check around and see if someone can dyno tune it for you if
you dont want to drop the $$ on the DHP unit. you can get a scanner
easy, but actually tuning a 96 riv is difficult. sorry

another option is to find someone on clubgp that is close to you and have them tune it once you send them the .bin for the 96 riv.

Back to top Go down
gotboost?
Amateur

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptySat Nov 22, 2008 9:21 pm

Fuck it, ill leave it stock. This car wasn't ment to be fast anyway.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 8:55 am

This car has a lot of potential to go faster. It's not that hard, with a few bolt-ons, but you need to choose them with care, that's all. When it comes to PCM tuning, the basic PCM from Intense will crisp up your shifts and open up quite a bit of potential, even though it's not a complete 'custom' tune... To do more, you need a programmer of some kind.

I started with an Intense PCM as one of my early mods and was very happy with it.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 1:39 pm

Why get so discouraged? I've managed to do a decent bit of mods on my 96 , and i'm still going. ( though stopping soon because i've spent too much money already). With just a few bolt ons these things can really be much more fun than stock. And still drive like stock too.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 7:40 pm

B.S. my friend.
as with anything n life-if ur goin t do something, do it right. if you want t do it fast and cheap, ask shintsu's dad how to do it. if you still want t drive ur car- listen to these guys, read, study, take youre time and do it right. these cars were meant t b fast. but fast is not cheap. register t regalgs.(something) there is some good info, but u will still have t find, read and study how.

good luck & dont give up on ur riv- it really does have great potential.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 7:48 pm

my previous post was directed at gotboost?'s fuck it post. (i tried quote, and for some reason it posted my post twice and didnt quote you)
Back to top Go down
gotboost?
Amateur

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 8:27 pm

Thanks guys. What exactly is the difference between the 96's and the rest of the rivs?
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 8:40 pm

got boost?,
help us out, figure out how t put up a sig.the FAQ section will tell you how
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 8:55 pm

The main difference is the transmission - it does not have nearly the computer integreation of the '97 and up. The engine is still the same, and the same mod info applies. There are those who say the '96's tranny can hold up to quite a bit though.
Back to top Go down
gotboost?
Amateur

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 12:42 am

Ok, so what is the most cost effective way I can run a 3.6 pully and still run a safe tune? I am not made of money, so I am looking for a inexpensive way to do this. Can I use a scan tool? What are other members doing for tuning with this size pully? I do plan on doing a downpipe in the near future. I can't justify spending 200+ on 2lbs of boost. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ZZP PCM Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZP PCM Question   ZZP PCM Question Empty

Back to top Go down

ZZP PCM Question
Page 1 of 1