Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security

Go down 
+74
llamalor2112
ZEP
Setton
chitown_riv98
matt270avian
gunmetalRED
Lenrapkins
sniperdude
GreenJeanS
mkarr
rivieray
c0reyl
nvsteve
dpmeeks
SuperRivL67
DEMonte1997
riviera90
dtrumbo
denim
BatMobile
97 park ave
98riv
Mikel
bigdave
canada
Derek
BMD
jonly
lamluca
flyineagle96
slacker2620
black shadow
Jack the R
Abaddon
AA
LARRY70GS
billythekid7
moldymac
rivren
Eldo
robotennis61
Jason
jp8240
pearlwhite91
Ash
Roberta
Mr.Riviera
rivparadise
tomc
dscott2000
1995 Riv
98RiviSC
Rickw
jenkkijussi
KillaKeninaRiv
SToP
Ryan from Ohio
96RIVMANN
albertj
Fuzzy
'96reese
lionfish
Chicken
deekster_caddy
ibmoses
BillBoost37
TType_Riviera
heyzelchi
jhodges
mcgusto82
SpaceBar
RIVIGIRL1
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 3:27 pm

I don't know about a '95, but as far as I can tell, from '96 onward the radio
has its own security system, and nothing to do with the VATS.

The only thing I can think of is if pulling the radio interrupted a serial data line that
was shared with the VATS... but that would be pretty stupid.

WAIT A MINUTE!! When I had my tape player replaced, I drove my '97 without any radio at all!

Last edited by Eldo on Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 4:49 pm

Deek - no, stock ignition switch.

RickW - Thanks, I found an old post of yours linking to this site - Link - about bypassing VATS.

Incidentally, you also asked AA to add the link to the write-up section.

AA, how about we add the link this time hi There are a bunch of threads about this topic.

RickW again - assuming this is the problem, will changing the ignition switch or getting a new key made solve it too?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 5:26 pm

I personally prefer to do one thing at a time and see, and like to do the least expensive first, especially when it could be the real problem.
A mech that worked at the dealership I did, would do this repair or by-pass for the customers quite frequently, with their acceptance and knowledge, and would save them a bunch of money all the time. We had a Radio Shack just a few minutes down the road.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 7:34 pm

Jack the R wrote:

- assuming this is the problem, will changing the ignition switch or getting a new key made solve it too?

Jack, your problem could simply be a normal, worn-out ignition switch, it depends on how the Security light acts.

Also, you can check out your key pellet with a multi-meter. Read my post at the bottom of this page...
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

Name : Paul
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 8:32 pm

You have to be kidding me afraid . All you need like albertj says is a 10 cent resistor. Just ohm your key and presto your done after a little bit of soldering.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 8:46 pm

It can be that simple. And has been that simple for many people that aren't concerned with the security system being partialy disabled.
If some people, not saying you, would bother to read what has already been written in this forum, there is a lot of knowledge and money to be saved.

I think my next entrepreneurial endeavor will be to make and market these plug in boxes for a Discount price of $100.00 and sell them on SleezeBay .
Hopefully Admin will remove this self serving advertisement off the board ASAP.
Back to top Go down
slacker2620
Special

Name : Thomas
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Security light causing issues   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 9:03 pm

Recently my 95 supercharged riv has been cutting out and generally feeling like crap. I have replaced the plugs, wires, harmonic balancer and crank position sensor. I did the balancer to get rid of a nasty rattle. I have no service engine light. The security light will stay on after it starts for a random period of time.
If I wiggle the key sometimes the light will go out. Any help on this issue will be helpful. I have had new keys made for the car. Thinking I may need to replace the ignition switch?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 9:06 pm

slacker2620 wrote:
Recently my 95 supercharged riv has been cutting out and generally feeling like crap. I have replaced the plugs, wires, harmonic balancer and crank position sensor. I did the balancer to get rid of a nasty rattle. I have no service engine light. The security light will stay on after it starts for a random period of time.
If I wiggle the key sometimes the light will go out. Any help on this issue will be helpful. I have had new keys made for the car. Thinking I may need to replace the ignition switch?
Yeh, that would be the next logical thing to do.

Unless of course you want do what some dipshit did and install a non-existant $180.00 box that will solve all your problems.
If you should see the post, dis-regard, it is a rip off.
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 9:36 pm

Rickw wrote:
slacker2620 wrote:
Yeh, that would be the next logical thing to do.

Unless of course you want to do what some dipshit did and install a non-existant $180.00 box that will solve all your problems.
If you should see the post, dis-regard, it is a rip off.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 11:36 pm

slacker2620 wrote:

Try cleaning the ignition keyway with a q-tip dipped in dry gas (alcohol). Clean it carefully, observing especially that the metal paddles in the switch get thoroughly clean .

Albertj
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 11:44 pm

Rickw wrote:
It can be that simple. And has been that simple for many people that aren't concerned with the security system being partialy disabled.
If some people, not saying you, would bother to read what has already been written in this forum, there is a lot of knowledge and money to be saved.

I think my next entrepreneurial endeavor will be to make and market these plug in boxes for a Discount price of $100.00 and sell them on SleezeBay .
Hopefully Admin will remove this self serving advertisement off the board ASAP.

AA: no kidding - This whole thread should be deleted.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
billythekid7
Amateur

Name : billy

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 11:57 pm

yes i have....thanks
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:04 am

Have you tested your key-pellet resistance?

http://www.thirdgen.org/vats_passkey_system
Back to top Go down
billythekid7
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:08 am

yes all checks good...will an after market alarm or remote starter disable the stock security system?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:10 am

billythekid7 wrote:
yes all checks good...will an after market alarm or remote starter disable the stock security system?

Depending on your definition of "disable", I'd say no. It can, however, definitely screw it up...
Back to top Go down
billythekid7
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:12 am

i mean bypass the stock security system?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:16 am

Well, they could be installed either way, depending on the manufacturer... Are you asking because you've already got an aftermarket gadget, or as a way around the problem?
Back to top Go down
billythekid7
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:16 am

way around the issue as well as i belave i am having a pericedic drain from it as well....
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:40 am

I went out and started it - no problems this time. The security light goes off about a second after ignition.

I've got this thing -

Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 MM

But no idea how to use it.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:46 am

Just for a trial as to how to use your multi-meter.
Turn it to ohms (X1K) and touch the two probes together and see if you get a zero Ohms reading on the scale. That will tel you if the batteries inside are still good.

I've got to go but I'll be back, if not tonight tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
rivren

Name : Ren Bortignon
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:53 am

It doesn't sound crazy to me to lose a defective security system that can completely disable your car at any time. I read many suggestions that all take money and time. How much time does $180 buy. I spent it and now have a car that works and I did not have to worry about the radio (which is stock) or the ignition switch or any other possiblities. A well placed kill switch is cheaper and more effective than what I removed. Just trying to give another viable option.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 1:00 am

I think most of the guys would say that using an aftermarket system to get around the problem is more difficult than just fixing the problem.

Also, with all the constantly-on modules in these cars, from the PCM to the RFA to the Radio, to the VAT, the odds that this particular item is causing an unusual parasitic drain are probably slim...

Do you have an FSM?

(Also, a gentle reminder: Please fill out your signature file, so we always know what year & engine we're talking about.)
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 1:27 am

Jack: Sorry, but that meter won't help... You need a digital meter to measure the resistance of these pellets. confused

As I said in one of these threads, these are very accurate resistors: you have to be able to measure a 4% difference...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 1:41 am

I'm sorry JR, Eldo is correct.
It will take a Digital Multimeter (DMM) to get an accurate measurement on the resistor that is in your key. Some call it a pellet, or chip or other things. But all it is is a resistor. But as has been mentioned, they are of a very specific resistance per vehicle, that you will need someone with a better meter than what you have to measure the resistance of the key accurately.
Then you can but the correct resistor at Radio Shack that would allow you to by-pass the Pass-Key by soldering this known resistor in the wire.
I'm sorry i didn't pick up on that sooner. Your meter is good to have around for most things, just not this.
I do wish i lived closer to come over and help with the correct tools and teach some. But since that isn't going to happen soon we'll have to figure out another way.
Sorry,
Rick.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 4:47 am

How good a DMM does the job need? Google can find them from $8 to $188.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security
Page 5 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next