Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower

Go down 
+18
matt270avian
charlieRobinson
Snowdog
robotennis61
DOHCZ34
Supercharged
TonySmooth89
Jason
EASHER
palermocorey90
oldsman105
Mr.Riviera
dreww
T Riley
Rickw
AA
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 11:03 am

69GSColorado wrote:
Pics of polished Gen V?

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t7085p135-abaddon-s-

Scroll through for pics. More on Page 9 and previous
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 11:05 am

I tried using flap wheels when I was messing with the manifold. They didn't work too well. I don't know the correct term for the bit I used, but it was shaped like a marble and was somewhat rough. For the tighter areas I used one shaped like a cone.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 1:59 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Flap wheels aren't gonna cut it yo. Trust me, I've done it. I bought "flap wheels" for that purpose. I didn't even use them. Using those sanding wheels, you're going to sand ruts and grooves into the flat surfaces. You won't notice them until you get to the final polish. Then allllll the imperfections and dimples go HEELLLLOOOOO!!!!!!!

Just buy my already polished GenV  happy 

WTF Codith said he used an 80G flap wheel!!! CODITH, WTF !?
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 2:10 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:

Abaddon wrote:
Flap wheels aren't gonna cut it yo. Trust me, I've done it. I bought "flap wheels" for that purpose. I didn't even use them. Using those sanding wheels, you're going to sand ruts and grooves into the flat surfaces. You won't notice them until you get to the final polish. Then allllll the imperfections and dimples go HEELLLLOOOOO!!!!!!!

Just buy my already polished GenV  happy 

WTF Codith said he used an 80G flap wheel!!! CODITH, WTF !?

Codith did his inlet. not the outside of the blower. Flaps are handy for the inlet cause, well, its round. If I'm not boring with a machine, I start gently with a burr bit, then a rock bit(careful they can load with aluminum get hot and "pop"), and finish up with 80/120 flappers on the inlet.

Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks, Andrew. Will you please paste a pic of what my best bet is for polishing the outside of the blower?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 2:42 pm

Charlie, I think you're embarking on a journey that might be best left untraveled. It's a very, very tedious job, and takes TONS of labor hours. Unless you're building a show car, I wouldn't bother. The only reason I polished mine is because I had nothing better to do at my old job...it's still sitting in a box in a bench here at work. I regretted starting it on the very first day. Once you start digging in, there's no turning back.

I started with 2" 36 grit cookies on my 90* die grinder. Then I switched to the 150 grit cookies. I also used various stones and burs to get in all the edges and corners. I had to do the top mostly by hand because of the shape. I used my Matco Metal Polishing kit with Jewelers Rouge to finish it off. All done with air tools.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 3:26 pm

Listen to Abaddon. I've never done the outside of a blower, task seemed too daunting for something under the hood. Add to that trying to *keep* it clean after install... yeah... I'd suggest spending time playing with the inlet and outlet, I find it more rewarding and not so much that you wish you never started.

Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 5:04 pm

Sorry guys......... i had a dirt plog that a brought back from the dead and polished to a mirror finished. I was so happy with the meditative process that I instantly envisioned doing a blower. That's why I bought the gen V so early when I saw a good deal.

I will have a mirror polished blower under my hood and it will be glorious.

Last edited by charlieRobinson on Tue May 06, 2014 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 5:18 pm

What do you want for your GenV Abaddon?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 5:23 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:

My "dreams" exactly  lmfao 

More power to ya man. You have access to an air compressor?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 6:09 pm

Just curious - when you are finished polishing the outside of your blower, are you going to have it clear anodized, or will you re-polish it twice a year to keep away the white speckle?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 7:33 pm

I planned on sealing it somehow. Not sure what options I have yet but I want to seal and protect it.

Why yall hating on me?! Cheer me on maybe?
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 7:34 pm

I'll have to look, but I have some "stuff" that I polished my motorcycle rims with several years ago that has kept them clean....
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 8:41 pm

Abaddon wrote:

charlieRobinson wrote:

My "dreams" exactly  lmfao 

More power to ya man. You have access to an air compressor?

Yes, sir. But I was planning on using an electric rotary grinder.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyWed May 07, 2014 7:33 am

Best of luck! Not hating at all, just being sure you know what your in for. Polished outside blowers are the tits.

Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyWed May 07, 2014 8:22 am

Agreed with Karma. I'm not hating on ya man. I'm just trying to make you fully aware of the project you're about to take on. Consider this a preemptive "I told you so" lol.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 11:45 pm

I found some free time tonight, so I put some more work into my spare Gen 3. Still needs the outlet smoothed and the silencer ports filled, but I made some good progress. The jigsaw was my friend. I plan on putting all new bearings into it, so that's why nothing is covered.

Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 2015-015

Do you guys think a router with a bit made for cutting metal would work well for smoothing.rounding the outlet?
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 11:03 am

shocked Dang..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 11:36 am

er, don't mess with a router. You won't get decent results with it, not to mention its downright dangerous to try and "machine" with one. It WILL hook and kickback causing all sort of gouges, chatter, and generally try to remove your fingers. If you don't have a mill you will get the best results by hand. Use a dremel with flex shaft or pencil grinder. Use oval, and flame shaped carbide burr bits. The aluminum will carve away pretty easily, and then you can hit it with flappers of various grit to get the finish. With a careful hand you can get it to look like it was machined. Take your time, you can always remove a bit more, but never add mack material if you take too much. Start at any sharp edges and high spots, and gently round them taking a bit at a time. The biggest thing will be keeping symmetry. Alternate side by side of the triangle, doing an angle or section, then do its mirror. That will give you the best chance of a decent result.

Whats your plan for the silencers?

Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 11:50 am

charlieRobinson wrote:
shocked  Dang..

Is that a good or bad "Dang"..?

Karma wrote:
Whats your plan for the silencers?

First off, thanks for the advice.

I plan on making a sheet of aluminum to fill in the entire bottom of the blower, then using quiksteel to bond it to the blower and to fill the silencers. This way, even if the quiksteel dislodges the aluminum sheet wouldn't let it move at all. I've seen some people use thermal coatings like you use with success, so that might happen as well. Going to start working my butt off and hopefully get an intercooler and headers soon. Of course, the front coilovers have to happen somewhere in there as well.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 1:37 pm

matt270avian wrote:

charlieRobinson wrote:
shocked  Dang..

Is that a good or bad "Dang"..?

I dont know know yet. Gotta wait and see how it goes and what happens after you install it.
I dont think I would ever attempt a port job without CNC machining and someone who has done it with tested results.

Everything Ive read says stock gen V > best port job possible on gen III. I'd just go with that and save the headaches for other things.

Best of luck, tho! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 3:23 pm

Believe me, if any of the junkyards around here get a GP with a Gen V I'm all over it. I can be out the door with a whole Gen V setup for less than $100 (SC is $50, LIM is $35 or modify my spare).
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 5:36 pm

Matt, gen Vs are all over online for less than $200.

As for the aluminum plate+Quicksteel, unless you are using an intercooler, DO NOT DO IT.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 5:41 pm

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
Matt, gen Vs are all over online for less than $200.

As for the aluminum plate+Quicksteel, unless you are using an intercooler, DO NOT DO IT.

Yeah, but I can get it local for less and get more with it. Just have to keep watching the local yards for one. I do plan on intercooling though.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 5:43 pm

Yes, around me gen Vs seem to be taken from cars at the junkyard the day they get in. Good that you're intercooling.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next