Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower

Go down 
+18
matt270avian
charlieRobinson
Snowdog
robotennis61
DOHCZ34
Supercharged
TonySmooth89
Jason
EASHER
palermocorey90
oldsman105
Mr.Riviera
dreww
T Riley
Rickw
AA
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:50 pm

Karma has a wife that can run a lathe?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 1:21 pm

All done with the porting. I plan on buying some new short bolts, but for now they will stay blocking 1mm of air in the blower.
here are some final shots:
Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 Pb060012

I went with a gloss black, and plan on doing the snout some other time too. didnt come out perfect, but for the time i put into the prep and paint it came out pretty well. next time i'd strip it and prime it for better coverage.

Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 Pb060013

Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 Pb070010

Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 1:33 pm

I think you did pretty well for a home port job. Good work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 1:56 pm

thanks! the blower seems to feel cooler to the touch with the car at operating temp. I dont notice a difference in sound, but the car seems to pull easier, especially for 80* weather.

Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 10:22 pm

Codith, Is this CNC work or home tools?

Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 Ccde5331
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 10:28 pm

Looks like it. I would be really impressed if someone could knock out the "H" and open up the triangle so cleanly with hand tools.

I'm still looking for a housing to try porting. My idea (not really MY idea, saw somebody on the Grand Prix forums do it) is to create a block off plate that covers the whole rectangle. This way I could still keep a clean triangle and not have to worry about any JB weld falling out of the ports if I filled them that way. I hope this makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 12:32 am

Weird that this came back from the dead... I pulled my blower off and started (further) porting it today. So far I have the triangle smoothed out, and most of that bar taken out. I'm using a dremel with various bits. I will be posting pictures! I will also be doing what Matt said about making a block off plate.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 11:14 pm

Here's that thread I was talking about:

http://www.grandprixforums.net/threads/65065-Safely-Filling-Silencer-Holes-on-ported-Eaton-M90-Gen-III-Supercharger-with-(PICS)?highlight=port

I believe Karma does something similar.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 11:16 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
Codith, Is this CNC work or home tools?

Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 Ccde5331

That's CNC.  happy 
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 11:44 am

Gen V's are getting cheaper and cheaper (so I hear), so depending on the time invested I wonder if it just makes more sense to look at a V these days than putting the time into porting a Gen III? ...unless of course you just want to do it youself for essentially $0 and your own time.

The limited research I've done seems to indicate that the Gen V flows equiv to a ported Gen III, and also runs a bit cooler (seems like a big plus). And also that there is no addtional benefit to porting a Gen V as it seems Eaton got the most out of the M90 by the Gen V.

Not sure I am 100% correct on all points, but that's what I've read.

Al
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Porting a III is a better option in my mind because I like the added noise and the ability to drop a pulley size or two. When you price it out it's about 1/4 the price to do a Gen III and LIM (prices include new gaskets, dremel bits, etc.) vs buying a Gen V, LIM, gaskets, and messing with the vacuum lines and what not. Overall, you really want a fully P&P Gen V but there's a lot of compromises for price vs performance.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 10:03 pm

I finished my port/silencer block off today. Tomorrow I will get everything smoothed out and post pictures!
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 9:04 am

matt270avian wrote:
Here's that thread I was talking about:

http://www.grandprixforums.net/threads/65065-Safely-Filling-Silencer-Holes-on-ported-Eaton-M90-Gen-III-Supercharger-with-(PICS)?highlight=port

I believe Karma does something similar.

ugh, please don't compare me to the hack job in that thread.  smile (I guess you work with what you got.)
And I first did it 2 years before that thread was even created.  pimp 

I do things like this:
Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 IMG_2676
and this:
Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 20130901_180402
and thermal coatings:
Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 20130901_210606

and other fun things. smile

Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 9:27 am

Your blower jobs are works of art, Karma
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 9:42 am

Karma wrote:
ugh, please don't compare me to the hack job in that thread.

I wasn't saying your QUALITY was of his. It's so far beyond what even professional companies will do for you. I'm just saying you made a plate to match the outlet so that the danger of anything going into the engine is next to nothing.

How do you do your coatings by the way?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 11:15 am

matt270avian wrote:

Karma wrote:
ugh, please don't compare me to the hack job in that thread.

I wasn't saying your QUALITY was of his. It's so far beyond what even professional companies will do for you. I'm just saying you made a plate to match the outlet so that the danger of anything going into the engine is next to nothing.

How do you do your coatings by the way?

smile

Coatings are from Tech Line Coatings, I use their thermal barrier on the inlet and outlet, and their DFL on the bores. Both get baked on.

Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 1:11 pm

Got my blower on the car last night.

To anyone who is considering plugging the silencer ports just for the added noise, I would say it's not really worth it. The blower whine is louder, but not considerably. Like, I thought it sounded a bit louder, but none of my friends said they could notice a real difference.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 1:34 pm

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:

To anyone who is considering plugging the silencer ports just for the added noise, I would say it's not really worth it. The blower whine is louder, but not considerably. Like, I thought it sounded a bit louder, but none of my friends said they could notice a real difference.

Don't forget Eaton themselves claim it improves efficiency to plug them. They're just there to meet OEM specs. It also apparently helps with heat.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 1:53 pm

I've heard both ways. I've heard that it hurts and that it helps, so I don't really know. I doubt it's significant either way though
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 8:42 pm

matt270avian wrote:

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:

Don't forget Eaton themselves claim it improves efficiency to plug them. They're just there to meet OEM specs. It also apparently helps with heat.

I think I read somewhere that Karma said this too, but I could not find anything on the web that comes from Eaton saying the same. Can you find anything?

Conversely, Turbo Tim @ ZZP told me it hurts efficiency and best to just leave the ports open.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 9:55 am

charlieRobinson wrote:

matt270avian wrote:

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:

I think I read somewhere that Karma said this too, but I could not find anything on the web that comes from Eaton saying the same. Can you find anything?

Conversely, Turbo Tim @ ZZP told me it hurts efficiency and best to just leave the ports open.

It was on the Eaton online forums that an Eaton rep popped on and said that, dunno if the thread still exists as it was many many years ago. But they stressed that it should never be welded(bore distortion), or just dabbed with JBweld.(it can come loose)  They said they were ONLY there for OEM sound control when the rotor pulse waves bounce back from the LIM.  Since it introduces a controlled air leak at a brief point in the rotor timing cycle with the holes, you do lose a little efficiency in stock form.  Plugging them properly gets that back and reduces temps very slightly since its no longer a hot spot/air shear.  You will notice that aftermarket castings of Eaton blowers didn't have("Had" because I believe most have moved onto the TVS design now which is wayyy different.) the air leak ports.(Magnum Powers, Magnuson, etc.)  

If you can do it right, sure plug them. If you want max effort, sure plug them.  If you want the sound, sure plug them.  But there is a good argument to be made that any gains are not worth the effort.  The little m62 needs all the help it can get for heat. the gen 3 m90, not as much.  And you will notice that by nature of the design differences in the air leak holes between them(thin slits on G3 m90, vs large ovals on m62), the increase in scream will be much less on the gen 3 m90.  The genV, well you can do it for fun(its holes are oval like the m62 since it wines more by nature than the g3 m90.) but you will get more sound difference by pulley-ing down in a performance build.

So:
m62 - needs the help and will make a noticeable diff in scream
G3 M90 - much less room for improvement and as a result won't scream much more after doing
GV M90 - doesn't really need the help, should be noticeably louder due to design diff, might as well for max effort, if you are doing this you better be dropping pulley anyway
* - proper plugging is not bad, aftermarket castings didn't have the holes since OEM sound was not an issue. (early gens did. last gens didn't)

*Edit* More fun from Eaton's Dev Chief Mike Sitar:
"Backflow is the method of compression within a Roots device. Air enters the inlet port, gets closed off by the rotor faces, then transfers to the outlet at inlet pressure. As it hits the outlet port, if you didn't have backflow slots, the air would immediately rush backwards, through the outlet port, to bring that cavity up to outlet pressure, then the rotors would come into mesh and force the air back the other way, through the outlet. That's a full, air flow reversal in the outlet port.

That reversal creates a high level of pulsation and noise. Backflow slots allow the air from the outlet to begin pressurizing that closed chamber before it moves to the outlet port. They allow air flow, into the supercharger, through those ports, then out the outlet port, maintaining one-way flow through two different ports. We took a percent, maybe a percent and half hit in adiabatic efficiency, but it, also, allows a one to three decibel decrease in noise. It does impact efficiency of the supercharger, but our biggest goal was noise reduction."

Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 8:55 am

Flap wheels should here today/tomorrow. Gen V polishing will then commence.

yeeeeeah
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 9:55 am

Flap wheels aren't gonna cut it yo. Trust me, I've done it. I bought "flap wheels" for that purpose. I didn't even use them. Using those sanding wheels, you're going to sand ruts and grooves into the flat surfaces. You won't notice them until you get to the final polish. Then allllll the imperfections and dimples go HEELLLLOOOOO!!!!!!!

Just buy my already polished GenV  happy 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 9:58 am

Cool!  You're going to have fun!  The GenV is made out of a slightly different cast than the Gen 3, so you will notice its a bit denser, and takes a bit more to take material off.  That said, it can be made to have a *very* smooth finish. Just ask turtleman, his inlet was baby-butt smooth.

What are your plans for the outlet?

Edit... Are you doing the outside?(IE visual polish?) or inlet and outlet porting?  I assumed inlet and porting seeing what thread this is, but now Abaddon has me second guessing myself..

Fanatic
69GSColorado

Name : Jordon
Merit : 29

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 EmptyTue May 06, 2014 10:36 am

Abaddon wrote:
Flap wheels aren't gonna cut it yo. Trust me, I've done it. I bought "flap wheels" for that purpose. I didn't even use them. Using those sanding wheels, you're going to sand ruts and grooves into the flat surfaces. You won't notice them until you get to the final polish. Then allllll the imperfections and dimples go HEELLLLOOOOO!!!!!!!

Just buy my already polished GenV  happy 

Pics of polished Gen V?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower   Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Porting & Polishing Gen III Blower
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next