Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Dying Issue...

Go down 
+2
deekster_caddy
Bushytea
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bushytea

Name : Mike
Merit : 0

Dying Issue... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying Issue...   Dying Issue... - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 1:21 pm

On the Idle Air Control I took it out and cleaned it as well.

On the crank sensor I found it and ran the car until it died. Then I went to test the sensor but as you stated albertj I don't see how to test the resistance at the sensor while on the car.

I appreciate the advice
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Dying Issue...   Dying Issue... - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 3:46 pm

One way is to unplug the wires from teh sensor at the sensor and contact the sensor with test probes. This is difficult; if it were my car, given the age of the car I would just replace the crank and cam sensors and call it "preventive maintenance" - the time this is taking would bug me.

When my crank sensor went, the fuel pump went about the same time. The mechanic (Doug) was able to command the pump on with a Tech II and prove it was bad (sometimes when commanded on it would not run; sometimes it would warble; he checked the connectors as well). When the car was in for the fuel pump, I commented onthe crank sensor and he argued that he could nto prove it's bad. When the car quit again a few days later I could not restart it. Towed it to the dealer, and the next day it started right up. He says he can't find the problem. I say replace the crank sensor. He says but we are not supposed to replace parts just because, customers get mad at us. I said think hard about when it was that I last - or ever - yelled at you guys. (never have, it's not worth it). He strokes his chin. I said what do I have to say or do to get you guys to replace the crank sensor. He says I'll take care of it. Then I go off to work (lot attendant drove me to work). I come back, there's a bill for around $130, it says "INTERMITTENT NO START. REPLACED CRANK SENSOR - CUSTOMER REQUEST"

It is entirely possible that new crank and cam sensors won't fix your problems. But no kidding, those sensors crap out after a (long) while and if yours have never been replaced I'd suggest you have it done and call it preventive maintenance. You can replace the crank sensor yourself, cheap, if you are comfortable getting the harmonic balancer off/on - not a difficult job but (a) there is basically one way to do it without messing it up - if you mess it up you need a new balancer, which may be why they can be bought for less than $60 (b) the dealer has a special tool that makes the R&R pretty quick.

Good luck

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Bushytea

PostSubject: Re: Dying Issue...   Dying Issue... - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks, I do appreciate all the help and advice.

However, go out to start it tonight and something worse is going on so not sure whats going to happen with the car.

I click the key to the "ON" position and fuel pump runs a sec then stops and lights dim. Then when I try to start the car there is just odd noise coming from the PassKey box under the dash. Once you let off the key, all the dash lights, hvac, radio flash 4-5 times then stop with some kind of clicking coming from the passenger side kick panel.

Thanks,
Mike
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Dying Issue...   Dying Issue... - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 8:01 pm

The clicking from pass. side kick panel is relays opening and closing. Could be caused by low voltage.
Have you tested the health of the Battery. IE; voltage and load test, cleanliness of connections. Also check all major ground connections for corrosion. Bad grounds can be the cause of all problems electrical.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Dying Issue...   Dying Issue... - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 8:32 pm

A weak battery will cause ALL KINDS of problems, if only because the different computers on the car are set to quit working at different (8 to 10 I think) nominal volts.

shocked gripe twisted devil crazy

A good battery will recover a partial charge by itself, if it's not too cold out, while just sitting. Might be enough to get you going. But after you start the car if the battery is not charging then all kinds of stuff can happen, including a low-voltage shutdown. You know, we may be onto something here. COnsider trying one or more of the following:

- with the engine OFF see if you can move the alternator pulley with your hand. Do not remove the belt. If the belt is tight enough it will be nigh impossible to move the belt. If the belt tensioner is loose, the pulley can be squeeked around under the belt. Replace tensioner (I don't think they can be tightened) if the pulley can be moved by hand with the belt on.

- have you looked at the battery? If you have an OE battery it will have an "eye" - if the eye is not green your charge is low. If that is the case we have to figure out why. Consider connecting a known good battery to the Riv via jumper cables,see if it starts up and behaves, if your battery is low.. Also while you have the seat out, clean the battery terminals and make sure the vent is hooked up right. And make sure acid is not eating the battery tray. .

- Might be the alternator is shot. They do not run forever. I am on my 3rd. Neither failed electrically (they were both OE Reman Delco's) but both had bearing failures. They squealed like stuck pigs. Maybe you're "lucky" and you got the one with electrical failure. I replaced my alternator first time in 2001 (less than 70,000 miles) and second time in April '07 at ~164,000 miles.

Yeah, the electrical thing explains a lot.
Back to top Go down
Bushytea

PostSubject: Re: Dying Issue...   Dying Issue... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 5:16 pm

Yeah, I will check the battery and alt to see whats going on there.

Couldn't work on the car today. Texas and it's something like 30 degrees here lol. However I need to move the car so I tried it again and it started up today.

Thanks,
Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dying Issue...   Dying Issue... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dying Issue...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2