Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Battery Location/Relocation????

Go down 
+17
EyeDoc1
matt270avian
sall
Eldo
albertj
deekster_caddy
curious riv
96riv
Ironclad-454
Dad
1wickedninja
SuperRiv07
T Riley
Audio72
SpaceBar
gosloriv
mayfair4life187
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

Name : Christen
Merit : 5

Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2022 11:03 pm

Does anyone have a photograph of what a battery hold down might look like for a '98 Riv (it's just plopped under the backseat and can rattle around)?  The "Holy Grail of Parts" doesn't show it.  Also, there's a strange red "bubble type" thing, red in color, with a pair of wires running to it.  I'll try to get a pix tomorrow, but this is my son's car and I've no idea what it is, give that GM is not likely to put something in the battery compartment that serves no function.  Usually.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 7:47 am

The battery is held down with a small metal bracket and bolt at the base of the battery. The red thing is probably the battery thermistor, a device that control charging according to battery temperature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU

EyeDoc1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 2:26 pm

Well, what I'm missing is a photo so that I can find the part at the junkyard if something similar comes up with a battery in the trunk. Hence looking for a picture. Wondering if the forum has a tutorial on HOW to post pictures and I've not figured that out and I should. The thermistor. Hadn't thought of that, but will see if that red thing slips over the side post of the battery. Likely my son took it somewhere and they didn't bother replacing the thermistor or else someone else lost the bracket. On today's list of things to do with a Riviera.
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Thermistor housing?   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 4:03 pm

Well son-of-a-gun.  I believe you are correct.  The red thingy does INDEED appear to be a thermistor.  Could not figure out HOW it mounts over the terminal then it dawned on me the red plastic part splits into two halves with the flat part designed to fit under the flat part of the battery cable while the top would slip over the bulge in the cable ferrule.  Sadly, the last knucklehead who screwed around with the battery didn't respect this arrangement or it may have been disconnected in 2005, who knows.  I'll have to disconnect both + and - cables and do a little cable rearranging.  I'll even pull the battery up and see if the bracket is anywhere to be found.  Thanks for the ID of the part and at least it gives me an idea of where to go.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 6:07 pm

GM has used that type of bracket for decades.  It looks like this,

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Clamp-Body-Firebird-Fullsize/dp/B00MONEK20/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=gm+battery+hold+down&qid=1670972651&sr=8-4

Look at the base of the battery tray.  You should see the threaded hole for the bolt.  The battery has a groove all around the base.  The bracket sits in that groove and holds the battery down with a single bolt.  Very simple arrangement.

EyeDoc1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 7:28 pm

Well Larry,  you were right on the money about the thermistor.  I disconnected the battery, got rid of some corrosion UNDER the plastic tubing that I'd not have noticed had I not been messing with it.  Found 72 cents in the process under the battery.  On the positive side of the cable, I did indeed split the plastic housing and install the top red cap, and engage another boot that covered the positive post.  I'll check out the link you sent.  Indeed there is the nut that a bolt will thread into on the body flange and that's just waiting for the other piece that you likely reference awaiting a screw down. And boy is that battery heavy and a tad awkward to replace.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 8:23 pm

EyeDoc1 wrote:
And boy is that battery heavy and a tad awkward to replace.

One of the reasons I switched to Optima, although I had to make a custom mount for the battery. The original is too heavy and unwieldy.
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Picture of Riviera's under rear seat battery hold down or "retainer"   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 10:57 pm

Additional info on the hold down.  GM P/N 25558374.  Looks like this.

Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 22ea4112

If you go to any of the GM parts sites like "gmpartdirect.com", it lists for less than 8 bucks.  You just got hosed on shipping.  More importantly, you can see what variety of cars GM put this on if you like to wander around junkyards looking for parts treasure.  And have too much time on your hands.  Given the battery's weight, I doubt this behemoth is going anywhere, no matter how high your gasoline octane rating is along with engaging the superchargerd.  Just thought I'd pass along this info.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2022 1:22 pm

EyeDoc1 wrote:
Additional info on the hold down.  GM P/N 25558374.  Looks like this.

Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 22ea4112

If you go to any of the GM parts sites like "gmpartdirect.com", it lists for less than 8 bucks.  You just got hosed on shipping.  More importantly, you can see what variety of cars GM put this on if you like to wander around junkyards looking for parts treasure.  And have too much time on your hands.  Given the battery's weight, I doubt this behemoth is going anywhere, no matter how high your gasoline octane rating is along with engaging the superchargerd.  Just thought I'd pass along this info.

If the battery isn't completely immobilized by a clamp, I would be concerned about breaking the plastic vent tube and having acid gas leak into the cabin.  

Best idea IMO is to switch to Optima and be done with the factory style lead acid battery.

Last edited by Jack the R on Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Optima recommendation and battery retainer (hold down)   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2022 7:16 pm

I was at the junkyard today and found one of these.  Cost a buck to the jar they use for food donations.  This battery is on its last legs and if it makes it thru the winter, I'll tell my son to look into something else.  He drives it, I fix it.  The deal is, if he ever gets something else, this rig goes back to me.  I did notice some acid in the pan, so I'll disconnect the battery and give it a good cleaning once I enlist 2 grown men and a small boy to move this thing.  Thanks Jack for the help.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 15, 2022 11:48 am

A battery on its last legs is a battery that will leave you stranded. I found that out the hard way. The Riviera won't slow crank when the battery is low. It will will start fine, then the computer will decide the battery is too low and give you nothing. Maybe, if you are just on the edge of what the computer will accept, you will get a no-start and then a start. I did have that happen a couple times, but I thought I hadn't turned the key fully to the start position when it didn't start the first time (but started on the 2nd attempt). So I dismissed it and got stranded.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2022 6:14 pm

The same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Thankfully, I have a jump pack. I ended up replacing it with a unit from Costco, save $70 from going to AutoZone with the same cranking power. The battery in our cars is an odd size number 79. I guess it can be bigger because it goes under the seat.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2022 6:27 pm

I'm on the 3rd battery in my 98.  The original Delco lasted 11 years.  The second one was a Delco, and lasted 11 years again.  The one in the car now is a Costco battery with a 3 year warranty.  Not sure I will have the car long enough to see how long it lasts.  When the second Delco was ready to die, it barely started the car.  Then, I guess the voltage was low enough to put the transmission in limp home mode.  It was stuck in 3rd gear, no overdrive gear, and no lock up.  I drove the car to Costco like that.  Felt like the transmission was slipping, but it wasn't.  It was stuck in third gear, so it stalled the torque converter higher, and that felt like slip. I used my first battery as a Core, and got the replacement Costco.  I was going to change it out in the parking lot, but then I thought, wonder if the car will start.  Cranked the engine right over, and the transmission shifted as normal on the way home.  Changed the battery out at home.

carguy8888 likes this post

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2022 7:03 pm

Many of my batteries including this one seem to know exactly when the 5-year warranty is up.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2022 8:47 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
The same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Thankfully, I have a jump pack. I ended up replacing it with a unit from Costco, save $70 from going to AutoZone with the same cranking power. The battery in our cars is an odd size number 79. I guess it can be bigger because it goes under the seat.

I think it's bigger so you have extra capacity to run stuff like the security system for extended periods when the car sits.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2022 8:49 am

The Riv battery is a brute,

Costco-Riv-Battery

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2022 10:14 am

It was 149.99 for me. Also only one store had one unit in stock.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2022 4:37 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
It was 149.99 for me. Also only one store had one unit in stock.

I had them order it, took about 3 days.

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2022 4:41 pm

I didn't know that was an option.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Thermistor?   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptySat May 06, 2023 5:33 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
The battery is held down with a small metal bracket and bolt at the base of the battery.  The red thing is probably the battery thermistor, a device that control charging according to battery temperature.

Hi Larry,
Hope all is well with you and yours.
I bought a $200+ battery less than 3 years ago and it goes flat too darned often if I don't start the Riv every couple of days. Now, I don't see this thermistor you and Christen were discussing back in December 2022, or anything like it on my battery setup.

Q: Does the charging system work dependably if the thermistor is not present? Does it work at all?
Maybe I'm missing it.

Can anyone post a shot of it? Maybe in use?

I'm charging the battery up right now to do some testing for a parasitic leak. I probably need the battery tested also, but 3 years? That's a short life for a Diehard of this size, no?

Thanks in advance,
Sean
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptySat May 06, 2023 11:22 pm

denim wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
The battery is held down with a small metal bracket and bolt at the base of the battery.  The red thing is probably the battery thermistor, a device that control charging according to battery temperature.

Hi Larry,
Hope all is well with you and yours.
I bought a $200+ battery less than 3 years ago and it goes flat too darned often if I don't start the Riv every couple of days. Now, I don't see this thermistor you and Christen were discussing back in December 2022, or anything like it on my battery setup.

Q: Does the charging system work dependably if the thermistor is not present? Does it work at all?
Maybe I'm missing it.

Can anyone post a shot of it? Maybe in use?

I'm charging the battery up right now to do some testing for a parasitic leak. I probably need the battery tested also, but 3 years? That's a short life for a Diehard of this size, no?

Thanks in advance,
Sean

The charging system works without the thermistor BUT does not work as well or as rapidly. You are really better off with the thermistor. It is not as easy as it used to be BUT if you call pick and pulls and salvage yards you'll probably find one that can be pulled off a late 90s - early 2000s Pontiac, Cadillac or Buick.

As for your short battery life, you might need one of the battery chargers that has a 'rejuvenation' cycle. It pulses charge current to break up deposits on the plates in the battery. Sounds like voodoo but in my experience it actually works - takes time (hours - see the instructions) however.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptySun May 07, 2023 8:31 am

Last edited by LARRY70GS on Sun May 07, 2023 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptySun May 07, 2023 9:29 am

The thermistor is built into the + battery cable.  The blue and orange wires are the ones that go to the alternator.

Thermistor-B

Thermistor-A

Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 EmptySun May 07, 2023 5:28 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Gentlemen.
I see now that I have a thermistor attached, per Larry's photos. I'll have to check to make sure it is working correctly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery Location/Relocation????   Battery Location/Relocation???? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Battery Location/Relocation????
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2