Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Simple Green, ect?

Go down 
+3
Andysdorm
AA
Rivgirl06
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Rivgirl06
Amateur
Rivgirl06

Name : Jen
Merit : 0

Simple Green, ect? Empty
PostSubject: Simple Green, ect?   Simple Green, ect? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2007 3:14 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew what this was on my car and how to get it off. I was told NOT to use stuff like simple green that is to remove tar or other junk that gets caked on to the exterior of the car. if anyone knows what is the best to use to get this off please help!

it is on the doors, rear bumper and that is about it. it doesn't go any higher then the trim.

Simple Green, ect? 100_1110

Last edited by on Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Simple Green, ect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple Green, ect?   Simple Green, ect? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2007 3:38 pm

Can't tell from the pic, but If that's dirt on the paint, I'd try using Meguiar's Scratch-X or a clay-bar paint cleaning system.

If instead those are paint chips with rust starting, you should sand out each spot and touch up with rust converter & paint = lots of work. In that case, might as well just get that panel re-painted. Hope that's not the case!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rivgirl06
Amateur
Rivgirl06

Name : Jen

Simple Green, ect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple Green, ect?   Simple Green, ect? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2007 3:41 pm

the thing is that its all over the lower end of my car and also on the plastic pieces too. so i don't think that it is rust. but is that true about simple green, that it will take off the our layer of the paint where the shine is?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Simple Green, ect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple Green, ect?   Simple Green, ect? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2007 4:02 pm

Probably true. I've seen pics of S. Green doing harm to some types of finishes.

Scratch-X is clear-coat safe. First it gets the crud off, then works as a polish to heal fine scratches. I've once used it to rub out paint from a minor collision. Now, can hardly tell it happened.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

Name : Andrew
Merit : 6

Simple Green, ect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple Green, ect?   Simple Green, ect? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2007 5:19 pm

get this....Peanut Butter

it's true, I was watching Overhaulin on TLC and it was a quick car tip before a commerical break. I thought it was nuts till the day I had to pick up my dad's paycheck at the tar and gravel company. I didn't even touch it for a week. Came off right away. I bet it the miniscule bit of peanuts that act as a fine grain sandpaper. And with the oils with finnishes up real nice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/671386
racinfan
Addict
racinfan

Name : Joe
Merit : 5

Simple Green, ect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple Green, ect?   Simple Green, ect? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2007 5:38 pm

It looks like it could be yellow paint from road lines. Paint thinner should get it right off. wink (joke)

I've used engine degreaser to remove tar from paint on another car, I didn't see any ill effects from that. I was sure to wash and seal the area soon after though.

It can probably just be buffed out though, either by hand (or with a buffer if you have one) with a rubbing compound or just take it to a detail shop to get it buffed and sealed/waxed. Be sure to point out to them the areas that need attention.
Back to top Go down
SoCal Riv
Enthusiast
SoCal Riv

Simple Green, ect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple Green, ect?   Simple Green, ect? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2007 7:48 pm

I'll take a crack at this...it looks to be an asphalt slurry compound used in road building. Take some bug and tar remover from Turtle Wax or some Stoner Tarminator and apply the cleaner to an old cotton T-shirt—NOT directly to the car's paint. Gently rub off the speckles. Do this at the time you are going to wash the car so you can complete the process by thoroughly soaping and washing the affected areas afterwards. Apply wax to bring all back to a shine.

P.S. Simple Green sucks on automobiles. I once used to clean an engine and it did something awful to some of the plastics—never again.

Last edited by on Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

Simple Green, ect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple Green, ect?   Simple Green, ect? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2007 7:50 pm

clay bar will get rid of it but it takes some work and time. the kits are about $13 and it has a 100gram bar and some spray lube.
always use the least abrasive method to remove something, dont start with heavy cleaners b/c it may not take that.

Back to top Go down
SoCal Riv
Enthusiast
SoCal Riv

Simple Green, ect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple Green, ect?   Simple Green, ect? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2007 7:51 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
clay bar will get rid of it but it takes some work and time. the kits are about $13 and it has a 100gram bar and some spray lube.
always use the least abrasive method to remove something, dont start with heavy cleaners b/c it may not take that.
A clay bar will do it too, but it will shorten the life of the clay something fierce.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Simple Green, ect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple Green, ect?   Simple Green, ect? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2007 8:02 pm

its a good idea to pull the bar into 1/2 or 1/3's so you dont dirty the whole thing the first time. i recomend clay baring the entire car sometime and then waxing it. take me 2 days to do mine but well worth it if the paint needs restoring. of course you could take it to a detail shop and have then clay and wax it. i think we charge $99 for the cheapest clay/wax job.

Back to top Go down
SoCal Riv
Enthusiast
SoCal Riv

Simple Green, ect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple Green, ect?   Simple Green, ect? EmptyTue Mar 27, 2007 8:25 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
its a good idea to pull the bar into 1/2 or 1/3's so you dont dirty the whole thing the first time. i recommend clay baring the entire car sometime and then waxing it. take me 2 days to do mine but well worth it if the paint needs restoring. of course you could take it to a detail shop and have then clay and wax it. i think we charge $99 for the cheapest clay/wax job.
I am a clay bar fanatic. I typically do the top of the rear bumper every wash (I wash my vehicles every two weeks); followed by a waxing.
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

Name : Ben
Merit : 2

Simple Green, ect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple Green, ect?   Simple Green, ect? EmptyWed Aug 01, 2007 2:25 am

I know this post is old as hell, but I recognize those rusty looking dots.

Rail dust. Do you live near train tracks that you drive over on a regular basis? I have a white Regal, and the rail dust shows up really well. Claybar is the only way to get it off. Buffing with cleaner wax is a good way to tire yourself out.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Simple Green, ect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple Green, ect?   Simple Green, ect? EmptyWed Aug 01, 2007 12:03 pm

you dont need to live by "rail" roads although that will sure do it, it can also be caused by your brake rust, other cars rust, dirt in the air from factories, etc. its know as IFO's (industrial fall out)
the more you drive it the more you will need to clay the paint.
so, Rivgirl06, have you fixed it yet?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Simple Green, ect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple Green, ect?   Simple Green, ect? Empty

Back to top Go down

Simple Green, ect?
Page 1 of 1