Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal

Go down 
+8
L8-2BNGO
deekster_caddy
albertj
ewolfe0050
Rickw
Chicken
AA
Mr.Riviera
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal   Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal - Page 3 EmptySun May 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Good for you Mr. Riviera! I don't know what your tech skills were before this problem occured, but I am impressed? To not only tackle this job, but to solve it? Man it must feel good, especially avoiding handing your beauty over to a shop that would most definately scratch it! wink One question, from the pics it looks like the timing chain on our cars is metal and not rubber, is that correct?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal   Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal - Page 3 EmptySun May 10, 2009 10:27 pm

yes that is true. we have a timing chain, not a belt.

i'm no master mechanic, but i did stay at a Holiday in Express.

...sorry had to smile

but seriously, i have done timing belts on some imports before this, but their setup is much easier to access. this is defiantly the most in depth thing i've done on a car.

i can honestly say i have never had to take my car to a shop to have a problem worked on, or even diagnosed.
(save for things i cant do at home like alignments and tire mount/balance)
i'm pretty proud of that.

anyways, thanks for everyone's help on here. this forum can be a real life saver. (and wallet saver)

Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal   Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal - Page 3 EmptyWed May 20, 2009 10:24 am

I'm really late to this one..

Well done man. I've learned a couple things through pain as well. Wish I had seen your thread in the beginning to help you diagnose.

Cam sensor being bad gives you a 1 in 6 chance of starting. From experience ...it usually remembers the last cylinder to fire.

Crank sensor will cause total dead car because it tells the ICM when to fire the plug.

Drank key.. it's a PITA on an engine stand when it's not beaten and boogered by a bad balancer. Kudos man..you got it.

Skip the rockers..you know how to do a cam now. alien
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal   Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal - Page 3 EmptyWed May 20, 2009 10:50 am

thanks man. i still think rockers are for me, but at least cams dont scare me anymore cool

Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal   Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal - Page 3 EmptyWed May 20, 2009 1:19 pm

Two more screws and if the LIM was off, with the lifters out, then the cam would have jumped into your hands. That's how close you were.

As for the difference between the two. It's huge, but not for everyone.

Either way..give yourself a couple pats on the back for this repair and finding the balancer.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal   Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal - Page 3 EmptyWed May 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Does the cam really just come out that easily, or do you have to remove the wheel and some other stuff to make room?

I ask because other Riv owners have said it's a RPITA and would take the engine out next time.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal   Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal - Page 3 EmptyWed May 20, 2009 4:07 pm

We did the cam install while the engine was still in the car and had no problem. Thankfully Paul at PRJ is a guru with the 3800's. I should have some photos of the install process in my showroom thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal   Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Broken crank pulley leads to timing cover removal
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3