Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

rear side windows

Go down 
+2
LARRY70GS
Snowdog
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

rear side windows Empty
PostSubject: rear side windows   rear side windows EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 11:14 am

has anyone ever taken them off? i think i saw someone wo had taken them off for painting here.

anyways have been truying for the last 1-2h
interjor plastics are off. nuts off..and been truyign to cut that clue through but it just dos not want to come off.

if anyone has then how and what tools did you use?
im planign to paint the car tomorrow but relly need to get them off.
will tint the windows thn and get a better change to paint it under them tho cos under them i see some rust what i want to take off so it will not start to rust more in future.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 150

rear side windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear side windows   rear side windows EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 11:58 am

Snowdog wrote:
has anyone ever taken them off? i think i saw someone wo had taken them off for painting here.

interjor plastics are off. nuts off..and been truyign to cut that clue through but it just dos not want to come off.

if anyone has then how and what tools did you use?
im planign to paint the car tomorrow but relly need to get them off.
will tint the windows thn and get a better change to paint it under them tho cos under them i see some rust what i want to take off so it will not start to rust more in future.

When my car was painted, the body shop had an auto glass guy come in and cut them out. The same guy came back after paint and put them back in. I spoke with him afterwards. He told me they were a pain. Get someone who does this for a living.
Back to top Go down
playa
Fanatic
playa

Name : Mark
Merit : 11

rear side windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear side windows   rear side windows EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 12:25 pm

I agree. I had mine removed once and they broke in the guys hands. He said they are very touchy windows - not cheap to replace either. Let somebody who's has insurance do it.
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

rear side windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear side windows   rear side windows EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 12:51 pm

well...actualy whe do glass changes in Unos shop here. but never seen a glass whats anyways holded whit polts in place and still used the HARD windsheald glue. well anyways i better tell that in future relly think 1st if you relly need to remove them or not. cos its not easy.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

rear side windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear side windows   rear side windows EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 5:33 pm

How did you make out.
Did you get the glass out without breaking anything.?
Are you going to be able to re-use the existing window seals or do you have to replace them.?
Are they seals / gaskets or is it just urethane sealant from a tube.?
Do you need any parts to re-install other than the trim clips.?
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

rear side windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear side windows   rear side windows EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 1:44 am

well..
i made so far that i removed one glass from right side.
desided to leave the left one in place.
wanted them off just to get better paint under them, take off rust under right side and would have been easyer to tint the windows.
oh well i better take the car to profecional tinters then who do it even when they are in place.

it was RELLY dificult to get of. used many tools and it did get damaged alot from the inner side. would have been way easyer IF gm would have used JUST the glue to hold it in OR just the polts whit softer glue. but NO! they had to use 2 strong things on same time. was on harder the a submarine window...
the glass and seal/chroom stripe are all in one packege!
so if you brake it you need to buy the whole thing.

guess i will be ok. and hope in future i do not need to remove it anymore.
i will use windsheald glue to but it back.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

rear side windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear side windows   rear side windows EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 7:51 am

Hey Timo, do you have any pictures along the way in the removal of the window? I'm just curious how it went.

-Derek
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

rear side windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear side windows   rear side windows EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 8:37 am

sorry guess not.
to get it off you need to remove the chroom trim under the window by sliding it foreverand just a bit then it comes off. do not pull or you may damage the clips.
when this is off its way to the interjor.
remove the rear side cover just by pulling it and it comes off. must be 3 clips holding it.
then need to take the seatbelt off from the uper connection.
need a torts key for it.
maybe size 10 or something..
after that can get the cover off beheind the seatbelt (black plastic).
also have to take the stripes off what go araund the window just by pulling. when they are off need to loos the roofs cover, the rear passenger lights, and when this all is off you finaly can remove the nuts what hold the window from inside. and AFTER that can finaly start to cut that window off what is a hell dificult work. can easely damage the window so better don't truy this at home and let some profecional do this...

i did not take any pictures...and cant make any now.
my car just got painted.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

rear side windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear side windows   rear side windows EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 9:01 am

Snowdog wrote:

For some reason the one on my passenger side came off very easy and I had no water leaks ... took 15-30 minutes total.
I ran into the same problems you are having on the drivers side, I used a long razor knife, cutting from inside and out, very carefully, and still cut off some of the rubber! That side took me 3-4 hours and I still ended up replacing it!

Snowdog wrote:
The nuts are just there to kind of hold it in place while the sealant dries!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

rear side windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear side windows   rear side windows EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 9:04 am

LARRY70GS wrote:
When my car was painted, the body shop had an auto glass guy come in and cut them out. The same guy came back after paint and put them back in. I spoke with him afterwards. He told me they were a pain. Get someone who does this for a living.
agree
IF I EVER DO IT AGAIN THAT IS WHAT I WILL DO!!!
That was what EWolfe did when he did his paint job. I did have them professionally reinstalled when the paint was finished.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

rear side windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear side windows   rear side windows EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 9:08 am

Snowdog wrote:
was on harder the a submarine window...
the glass and seal/chroom stripe are all in one packege!
so if you brake it you need to buy the whole thing.
agree
And the price has gone UP and UP over the last few years!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

rear side windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear side windows   rear side windows EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 10:16 am

Snowdog wrote:
my car just got painted.
How about some pic's of the new paint.????
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

rear side windows Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear side windows   rear side windows Empty

Back to top Go down

rear side windows
Page 1 of 1