Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?

Go down 
+4
AA
deekster_caddy
Mr.Riviera
dreww
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? Empty
PostSubject: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 7:26 pm

Does anyone know what causes the injectors to "pulse"? Looking on the PCM schematics, I doesnt appear that the PCM controls this feature on a 96 riviera.

My injectors are not pulsing...got spark, fuel at the rail, power everywhere else. Who knows what else Im missing that causes the injectors to pulse.

The injectors got power, but no pulsing. A node light will light up when testing, but wont pulse. It stays lit. Car wont start.

Last edited by dreww on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 7:36 pm

doesnt the crank position sensor disable the injectors?

Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
doesnt the crank position sensor disable the injectors?

lol, my mechanic called me and told me this like 2 minutes before you sent this. I hope youre both right. Thanks for reaffirming this.

when we hooked up a 98 pcm we fried something (cause the pinouts were wrong) and have been having hell figuring out what it was. Replaced the CAM sensor but not the crank.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Injectors fire by the PCM sending a quick ground signal. It's the same way an ignition coil sparks - always got positive, then grounds to fire.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 8:48 pm

Not sure about a '96, but scanning the PCM in my '98 shows IPW, IFR, and duty cycles. Also the concept of running a MAFF table would require the PCM have a way to adjust fueling, so it seems the injectors would need to be controlled by the PCM.

Maybe the crank position sensor controls the timing of each pulse, but the PCM controls fuel pressure and the duration of each pulse.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

Last edited by AA on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 8:51 pm

AA wrote:
Not sure about a '96, but scanning the PCM in my '98 shows IPW, IFR, and duty cycles. Also the concept of running a MAFF table would require the PCM have a way to adjust fueling, so it seems the injectors would need to be controlled by the PCM.

I think its different on the 96...the pcm pinout blueprints dont show individual pinouts for each injector like the 98 pcm pinout blueprints do.

The 96 also doesnt have an option for IPW in the powertuner. Once I replace the crankposition sensor on friday I'll know for sure.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 11:20 pm

dreww wrote:
The 96 also doesnt have an option for IPW in the powertuner

Strange, my PowrTuner allows me to view this parameter on my car.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 8:09 am

Hmmm... now that is mighty interesting.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 am

what version(s) of powertuner are you guys using?
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 10:13 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
what version(s) of powertuner are you guys using?

I cant quite remember and i won't be home from school for at least a month to look. Maybe I can have my brother check for me. Tonysmooth89 may also have some input on this.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 11:35 am

my tuner doesnt even have the option for IPW.

but it has options for fan time on after ignition and a feature to disable to security system. But neither of those options actually do anything to my car. Who knows what other features in there dont work.

the fan time on after ignition is cut not working is pretty common knowledge on 96's though. hopefully I will get some of those options back after I put in a 97 computer for my new trans.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 11:53 am

Fan turn-on when off doesn't work in any years as far as I know, at least for my '98 it doesn't.

The tables you see in PowrTuner software aren't all that exist, only the ones selected by DHP to include with each car. It's possible they forgot to include some for '96, or it's possible they did this for a reason.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 12:19 pm

yea the riv's fan will not stay on no matter what year or how you "tune" them.
Our 96's have some things limited, but i know i can scan for IPW with devins DHP. however i can not skew the injectors with the tunere like the 97+ cars can. maybe you need to update your software, or maybe devin or tony can send you a 96 bin to play with and upload.

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 12:22 pm

IPW is a setting you would scan for, not a table to adjust. It is calculated by current fuel demand, and injector size. Fuel demand is determined by MAF reading, MAP reading, RPM, TPS and many other factors.

If you are changing injectors you would change your IFR table, Injector Flow Rate.

Fan on after keyoff doesn't work on my PCM either. I heard there is some little trick to making it work, but it involves cracking open the PCM and dropping some solder across a couple pins somewhere, something I'd rather not do.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 1:57 pm

dreww wrote:

Once I replace the crankposition sensor on friday I'll know for sure.

FINALLY found the problem, although its not fixed yet. The crank position sensor did NOT fix the problem. We went to the PCM and found out that the ignition in wasn't getting power, and one of the two ignition power wires wasn't getting power. We jumped a wire with power into the power ignition wire with no power and WHAM, car started right up!

So my mechanic says its the ignition switch. We know its not the ignition module, we already tested that while cold and warmed up. Passed four times in a row.

I did a search, has anyone replaced the ignition switch in the steering column? I found absolutely nothing on this topic. Only found stuff on the ignition module.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 3:38 pm

The ignition switch (all of the electrical parts) is down on the steering column under the insulation panel, not where the key goes in. It's actually easy to replace.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 4:51 pm

Rickw wrote:
The ignition switch (all of the electrical parts) is down on the steering column under the insulation panel, not where the key goes in. It's actually easy to replace.

teach It used to be down on the steering column, under the dash, but now it's in the same housing as the key cylinder... According to this book, you have to pull the knee bolster, drop the column, remove 6 screws to separate the upper and lower parts of the housing where the ignition is, and then 2 screws from the switch itself on the left side, below the turn signal lever.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24229483@N07/
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 5:14 pm

Thanks for the correction.
I should have looked it up before posting.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 7:30 pm

Rickw wrote:

WTF, I admitted my mistake.
Feel like I'm walking on eggshells around here.
Very easy to stop posting altogether if that's the way people feel.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 11:56 pm

Rick, what am I missing, I don't understand your last post?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 12:36 am

Rick, I don't get it either... You responded to my post, thanking me for the correction. Then you posted again, quoting yourself, and said you were walking on eggshells. I don't see anyone else bitching about it in between. ?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 1:10 am

Eldo wrote:
Rickw wrote:

teach It used to be down on the steering column, under the dash, but now it's in the same housing as the key cylinder... According to this book, you have to pull the knee bolster, drop the column, remove 6 screws to separate the upper and lower parts of the housing where the ignition is, and then 2 screws from the switch itself on the left side, below the turn signal lever.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24229483@N07/

OK... Now what could be a remotely rational reason for giving a negative vote to my explanation of how to do this, AND the diagram that I posted?!?

(And I know it wasn't Rick...)

wtf
finger

PS - I don't think that this was the problem, but I interpret teach the same way as 1998Riv said, and the way it is listed when you cursor over it: "teach"... I suppose I could have used study instead, but I've used it a bit lately and wanted something different... It's not like I used nono or stop ...
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 1:25 am

Hell if I know, it wasn't me. scratch I don't think anything negative was intended, just is a way of bringing attention to the information.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 10:25 am

Guys, the post in question (Rick's) contained incorrect information. Doesn't matter if Rick apologized for the error, it was still posted, and I can see why someone felt a negative vote should be given, if for nothing more than to flag the info for future readers.

Rick, you are among the highest ranking here in Integrity score. There is a standard that must be upheld to keep that score, and that includes posting correct information. You were wrong, someone banged you, and you still have an awesome Integrity score. What's the problem?

Mark, I agree that in your case it was uncalled for. The teacher smiley was appropriate, actually! I am voting positive in your followup post to offset the negative someone gave to you earlier.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 11:16 am

AA wrote:
Guys, the post in question (Rick's) contained incorrect information. ..

I think we all understand that. I'm unclear on Rick's followup post. None of us can see the voting on our OWN posts though, right? I can't...

If the post is in reaction to his scores changing, my advice is to ignore those numbers, just not significant enough to let it bother you. I never look at my numbers, I personally see them as meaningless unless a member wanted to take a lot of time to compare them to other member's numbers. I see value if they showed as negatives...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?   injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace? Empty

Back to top Go down

injector pulsing problem, was ign. switch. how to replace?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next