Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)

Go down 
+13
nothincame2mind
Chicken
Eldo
L67
turtleman
albertj
Mr.Riviera
BKRIV
oldsman105
Rickw
AA
deekster_caddy
T Riley
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Which Cylinder is the issue
Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) Vote_lcap0%Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) Vote_lcap0%Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) Vote_lcap55%Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) Vote_rcap
 55% [ 6 ]
Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) Vote_lcap9%Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) Vote_rcap
 9% [ 1 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) Vote_lcap9%Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) Vote_rcap
 9% [ 1 ]
No piston blew up
Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) Vote_lcap27%Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) Vote_rcap
 27% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) Empty
PostSubject: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 2:58 am

Well.. You guys.. Bad bad bad night.. Went to perkins with some friends.. left dropped one off.. and was going home.. Decided to do some WOT.. Well it started misfiring so i let off.. and it started CHUGGING.. reallly really bad.. and the SES light was flashing at me.. it was still driving.. so i drove it home about 5-6 blocks.. it starts smoking.. i'm like FML its on fire.. so i blow 2 stop signs.. its 1:15a.m. and i get home and pop the hood to see oil EVERYWHERE on the belt side.. It LOOKS like oil is spewing from in between the LIM and the block.. if i blew that orange gasket right there would that cause a HUGE vac leak? I am going to do a compression test in the A.M. Just want to know IF There is a leak In between the LIM and the block would that cause a vac leak?

Cliff notes: Travis is having car issues, hoping he didn't pop a piston, Would having a major leak in between the LIM and the block cause a HUGE vac leak??

thank you for any immediate assistance..

I will be doing a compression test/leak test in the A.M.

nervous

Last edited by 98riviera98 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 7:28 am

Yes, a LIM gasket would cause a major gasket leak, but it wouldn't be a big source of oil, unless you DID pop a piston and that's where the pressure busted through, and the air coming out is forcing oil out too.

Pull your spark plugs. The one that's smashed down flat... that's probably the one with the chunk missing from the piston.

Sorry to hear it man. frown
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 am

Damn E85!

(sorry to hear about this, Travis. Hope you didn't run the engine for very long without oil pressure.)

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 9:46 am

Can you say "Teardown"
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 9:59 am

AA wrote:
Damn E85!

(sorry to hear about this, Travis. Hope you didn't run the engine for very long without oil pressure.)

shocked And to think i'll be using it again lol

My oil light never came on. scratch

If i did chunk a piston.. I'm going to put in a N/A 9.4:1 block.. and use some head gaskets that will put it to about 9.7:1.. Moar Boost cool And Ill probably polish up the heads and put a XP cam in her.. BUT thats only if i roasted the motor.. If i did toast the motor I'm also going to have to get a winter beater... I'll just pull the motor and put it on a stand in the garage, than store my riv somewhere cool
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 9:59 am

Rickw wrote:
Can you say "Teardown"

Indeed tongue
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 10:19 am

Quote :
My oil light never came on.

That's very good news! Might not be as bad as you think.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 12:42 pm

AA wrote:
Quote :

I really hope so buddy... but this 9.7:1 compression build seemed pretty sweet!! Can you say 18lbs of boost??? From a M90+ spray? lol

banana I'm dreading going and pulling the plugs.. i don't wanna do it..
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 12:46 pm

Wait, I missed something. You took the same route as Corey did last year? I can't believe people do this stuff!

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 12:47 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
AA wrote:
Quote :

I really hope so buddy... but this 9.7:1 compression build seemed pretty sweet!! Can you say 18lbs of boost??? From a M90+ spray? lol

Dreading pulling plugs out?

imagine trying to pull the engine. razz
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 12:52 pm

oldsman105 wrote:
98riviera98 wrote:
AA wrote:
Quote :

Dreading pulling plugs out?

imagine trying to pull the engine. razz

noooo not like that.. pulling plugs is easy brah.. I'm just saying.. i'm dreading the results...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 2:49 pm

Engine can be out in 4 hours easy.
Back to top Go down
BKRIV
Enthusiast
BKRIV

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Here's how it's done by the book!

1998 Buick Riviera V6-3.8L SC VIN 1
Vehicle Level Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Engine Service and Repair Engine Removal and Installation

Engine Removal and Installation
Notes

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

Remove the hood.
Disconnect the negative battery cable. CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.
Depressurize the fuel lines. Refer to Fuel Pressure Release in Powertrain Management.
Drain the coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling the Coolant System in Cooling System.
Drain the engine oil.
Remove the radiator hoses. Refer to Radiator Hoses Replacement in Cooling System.
Remove the heater supply hoses.
Disconnect the negative battery cable from the engine block.
Disconnect the engine harness connector at the bulkhead.
Remove the drive belt. For the VIN 1, refer to Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement (VIN 1).
Remove the power steering pump. Set the pump aside. Refer to Power Steering Pump Replacement in Steering.
Remove the air flow duct.
Remove the throttle cable from the throttle linkage,
Remove the engine mounting bracket. Refer to Engine Mount Replacement.
Remove the other applicable cables from the engine.
Disconnect the wiring harness connectors from the following locations:
The MAT sensor
The throttle position sensor
The idle air control valve
The oxygen sensor
The A/C compressor
The oil pressure switch
The power steering cutout switch
The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
The low oil level sensor
Remove the ignition coil assembly ground strap from the fender inner panel attaching screws.
Remove the fuel feed and return lines from the fuel rail and the pressure regulator.
Remove the emission control canister hoses from the throttle body connections.
Remove the brake booster from the engine vacuum connections.
Remove the heater control hoses from the engine vacuum connections.
Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
Remove the exhaust pipe from the right manifold.
Remove the A/C compressor from the engine. Tie the compressor back away from the engine.
Remove the engine to the transmission bracket.
Remove the flywheel cover. Refer to Engine Flywheel Replacement.
Remove the starter motor, Refer to Starter Motor Replacement in Starting and Charging.
Remove the torque converter to flywheel bolts. Refer to Engine Flywheel Replacement. IMPORTANT: Use a scribe in order to mark the relationship between the flywheel and the torque converter. This ensures proper reassembly.
Lower the vehicle.
Attach a suitable lifting hook and a chain to the engine lifting bracket.
Raise the engine slightly in order to take weight off of the mounts.
Remove the torque axis engine mount. Refer to Engine Mount Replacement
Support the transmission.
Remove the engine to transmission bolts.
Separate the engine from the transmission.
Raise the engine.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 1:43 pm

well, what's the verdict?

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 1:53 pm

Yeah Travis, have you removed the hood yet?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 1:59 pm

"Remove the ignition coil assembly ground strap from the fender inner panel attaching screws."

Copied the above from previous post on engine removal procedure.
Does anyone know where on the fender this is located.??? I only know about the ground lead right at the coil pack to block.
Just curios for future troubleshooting of bad grounds related to the coils. Could be important.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 4:45 pm

Rickw wrote:
"Remove the ignition coil assembly ground strap from the fender inner panel attaching screws."

Copied the above from previous post on engine removal procedure.
Does anyone know where on the fender this is located.??? I only know about the ground lead right at the coil pack to block.
Just curios for future troubleshooting of bad grounds related to the coils. Could be important.

IIRC it's about a 10-12 gauge black wire runs up from the passenger side frame rail, within a foot of the firewall, up to the ignition module.

There are a couple other 'grounds that time forgot' under the rear seat passenger side and under the drivers side dash. Have not had a problem with the underdash one and I think it could be ignored pretty much. If you are ever under the dash to work on the ratchet for the emergency brake, mess with it then. However - I check and clean the one under the rear seat along with regular battery maintenance. If you have an OE battery, once a year to make sure the vent pipes are still on right and check for corrosion ought to be enough.

Albertj lol

Last edited by albertj on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix my typical typing-too-fast misteaks :lol:)
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Thanks Albert, will have to look for it and add it to the list.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 5:15 pm

Rickw wrote:
Thanks Albert, will have to look for it and add it to the list.

might want to look for a stud or a used-to-be-a-stud on that frame rail.

So basically there are 2 grounds on the passenger side frame rail. A fat one goes to the starter and a smaller one goes to that wire.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 5:26 pm

Thanks again, Will do before it's too cold to do it.
I have neglected looking under my back seat for a loooong time. I'm over due for some preventive maintenance on electrical / ground connections.
Would like to put some EDead under back seat area while I'm there also.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 10:36 am

Poll added... Take your votes...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 10:41 am

Just tear the friggin thing down and post your results instead of posting a juvenile poll.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 11:02 am

98riviera98 wrote:
Poll added... Take your votes...
Travis, I 'dinged' you for that one.

And on behalf of RIck and myself, sorry about jacking your thread to talk about grounds.

Anyway - when life gives lemons, make lemonade and sell produce. Thinking about it, this might be a good time to get a used SC engine and overhaul it then install it in your Riv. Just think... the engine that embodies all the wisdom, hints and tips for powering a Riv that is quicker than 13 sec in the 1/4 mile... since you're in for some work anyway...

maybe a local vocational school will do the work if you buy the parts..

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 11:06 am

I'm guessing the notorious piston #3! (my 2nd guess is #4)

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 12:38 pm

You immature little baby. Wacking me with negatives......Ha,HA,HA
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) Empty

Back to top Go down

Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next