Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)

Go down 
+13
nothincame2mind
Chicken
Eldo
L67
turtleman
albertj
Mr.Riviera
BKRIV
oldsman105
Rickw
AA
deekster_caddy
T Riley
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Which Cylinder is the issue
Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 Vote_lcap0%Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 Vote_lcap0%Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 Vote_lcap55%Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 55% [ 6 ]
Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 Vote_lcap9%Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 9% [ 1 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 Vote_lcap9%Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 9% [ 1 ]
No piston blew up
Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 Vote_lcap27%Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 27% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 9:19 am

^^ smart.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 2:38 pm

AA wrote:
^^ smart.

Now to learn how to effectively use it while tuning. smile

I know it tells real time A/F and you tune off of it.. but there's more to it i believe rabbit
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 2:56 pm

What manufacturer of Wideband did you go with.?
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 3:09 pm

Rickw wrote:

AEM Uego.. i got out bid on ebay.. confused

But i made an offer on another one. I'm trying to score it for 170 bucks shipped..

What do you guys think about putting my Narrow band in the dash on the passenger side along with another boost gauge? that that would be cool in those holes?? I might do that!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 3:33 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
Rickw wrote:

AEM Uego.. i got out bid on ebay.. confused

But i made an offer on another one. I'm trying to score it for 170 bucks shipped..
The AEM unit does not have Data logging capabilities from what I've been reading. Data logging is useful, as you know, as well as hooking up to your current software for analysis.
I don't know if DHP supports wideband though. I don't think so.
So you'll have to use the wideband data and correlate it to what your tuning software is telling you.
The Innovate has Data Logging and can be hooked up to tuning software packages such as HPT so there is technically no need to purchase the gauge. All data is streamed into the software real time along with all other data points.
I've only done a little research on these and did it with buying the HPT software in mind.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 3:52 pm

Rick,

My DHP has extra inputs for a wideband.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 4:04 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
Rickw wrote:
98riviera98 wrote:
Stay the fuck outta my threads rick.. your a douche bag... I can joke sometimes.. but your a d bag
Travis, I'm not really posting in your thread, it's only your imagination.............But, what kind of knuckleheads are still golfing in their nickers in MN at this time of year.?????

DDBag

Lots of them... People in MN aren't pussy's just sayin shocked

true dat, we're just bustin out the sweatshirts cool
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 4:05 pm

That's good.
Then Travis, that's all you have to do to get data logging capabilities.
Buy something other than the AEM unit that has those capabilities and you'll be able to tune much better with that data side by side with your other selected data while data logging and tuning.
Search on this site for Wideband and you should find a link to some articles that compare wideband units.
I printed out a very useful article on the subject quite a while ago by using a link that someone provided on the comparison testing of all the popular wideband units for sale at that time.
The heading of the article I'm looking at is titled FordMuscle - Air-Fuel Meter Shootout.
I don't remember in which topic it was linked to on here, but it is here somewhere and is very informative on the types of units and how to use them as well as which ones are worth the money and are self calibrating, etc.
The Innovate came out on top.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 10:43 pm

Rickw wrote:
That's good.
Then Travis, that's all you have to do to get data logging capabilities.
Buy something other than the AEM unit that has those capabilities and you'll be able to tune much better with that data side by side with your other selected data while data logging and tuning.
Search on this site for Wideband and you should find a link to some articles that compare wideband units.
I printed out a very useful article on the subject quite a while ago by using a link that someone provided on the comparison testing of all the popular wideband units for sale at that time.
The heading of the article I'm looking at is titled FordMuscle - Air-Fuel Meter Shootout.
I don't remember in which topic it was linked to on here, but it is here somewhere and is very informative on the types of units and how to use them as well as which ones are worth the money and are self calibrating, etc.
The Innovate came out on top.

Sweet thanks for that info! the LC1 does have logging capabilities.. But as far as i know the AEM can hook up to my DHP so i was told..
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 10:53 pm

By the way....

PROJECT L26 is completed.. Runs!!!!

Have a little bit of a rough idle.. AND I also have a minor coolant leak by the accessory tensioner where that connects to the waterpump.. oh well should be a easy fix. I let it idle for 10 minutes to let the gaskets set... I made a n00b mistake.. i doubt many people have had 100% of the coolant outta their block.. but HOLY CRAP... that takes A LOT of coolant! like i have drained my radiator MANY times for removing the LIM but it took like 3 gallons of fluids to fill that thing.. anyway.. Had a few SES lights from the EGR which i deleted.. easily fixed that no big...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 6:32 am

congrats.

Are you running your old TB/MAF or something new? If it's new(er), make sure it's clean. Also check for vacuum leaks etc.

Good news you are up and running again!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 9:00 am

Congrat's on getting it up and running so quickly.
Even after after the Pig Flu and all.
Good Job.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 5:01 pm

Rickw wrote:
Congrat's on getting it up and running so quickly.
Even after after the Pig Flu and all.
Good Job.

Thanks man.. took me a total of 5 days.. and somewhere in the ballpark of 18-25 hours to do it.. I could do it again in about 12 hours easily.. cool
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 5:02 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
congrats.

Are you running your old TB/MAF or something new? If it's new(er), make sure it's clean. Also check for vacuum leaks etc.

Good news you are up and running again!

I'm running my N* TB and a LQ4 MAF.. i will spray off the maf on account it was sitting out in the garage for 3-4 weeks.. No vacuum leaks BUT i may have an exhaust leak by the rear crossover? its such a pain in the balls to tighten the clamps having the shrek hands i have razz
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 5:14 pm

Did you change the MAF table in your PCM?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Quote :
No vacuum leaks BUT i may have an exhaust leak by the rear crossover? its such a pain in the balls to tighten the clamps having the shrek hands i have
Use some RTV in the joint - it'll seal right up!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 6:35 pm

AA wrote:
Quote :
No vacuum leaks BUT i may have an exhaust leak by the rear crossover? its such a pain in the balls to tighten the clamps having the shrek hands i have
Use some RTV in the joint - it'll seal right up!

I used like 2 ounces of RTV and let it seep out when i tightened it!
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 6:37 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Did you change the MAF table in your PCM?

nope absolutely no tuning yet.. i have driven it like 1.3 miles. the temp sensor got up to 240*.. so i turned it off.. i had an air bubble.. and nearly 1.5 gallons short of coolant bonk Didn't realize how much it takes!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 7:22 pm

You need that maf table before you do any more running.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 7:41 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
You need that maf table before you do any more running.

I have had the N* since mid August.. I have the right table cool
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 3:49 am

My rear crossover is leaking i'm pretty sure.. i couldn't get the bolts tightened very tight for the life of me.. gonna have to re-seal it tomorrow.. frown
I was chasing my tail trying to tune it outta the LTFT's being off by a crap ton
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 12:35 pm

Maybe you didn't let the RTV cure fully before you ran the car?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 12:38 pm

AA wrote:
Maybe you didn't let the RTV cure fully before you ran the car?

possibly i'm gonna take the front header off tonight/tomorrow.. than pull the crossover.. and clean off all the RTV and start at square one. going to put RTV in the rear header at the crossover. on the crossover and jam it in there tight.. than use gobs of RTV under the clamp.. same for the front crossover/clamp.. this WONT leak this time.. but might look tacky razz
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 4:29 pm

SEALED. letting the RTV dry/set for 24 hours than i'll test her on out
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 9:51 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
have driven it like 1.3 miles. the temp got up to 240*.. so i turned it off.. i had an air bubble.. and nearly 1.5 gallons short of coolant bonk Didn't realize how much it takes!

Fer' sure... The rated capacity is over 3 gallons (13quarts.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)   Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics) - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bad night.. Lots of oil and lots of smoke (carnage pics)
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next