Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation

Go down 
+43
stan
charlieRobinson
joshuadalegrimes
llamalor2112
abaucom
al_roethlisberger
69GSColorado
BMD
ghpcnm
dboydakid
Eldo
vovchik
robotennis61
#1BearsFan
Rickw
LARRY70GS
Mr.Riviera
TonySmooth89
patillac
KillaKeninaRiv
ibmoses
ToledoRIv
sburch23
Kustom Kreationz
oldsman105
jimmyriv
IBx1
ewolfe0050
Natesriv
palermocorey90
mr.19982tone
Ridin-Rivi
robertwolf86
T Riley
turtleman
97rivman
AA
racinfan
xxsupergman25xx
SpaceBar
Jack the R
99Rivman
97Riv-Jon
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 4:14 pm

ewolfe0050 wrote:
Has anyone had problems with the other manufacturer's kits as far as scratching, delamination, etc...?
I got mine from Sherwood, it has been in the car for almost eight years and no problems at all. The fit was almost perfect, a little off here and there but very minor, and no problems with shipping. But I gave an arm and a leg for it too.

Jack the R wrote:
There are other manufacturers, but really it's still a crap shoot. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances. I'd suggest the real wood kits, but that wood's got to be so thin - I'd be terrified of cracking it. Absolutely terrified.
The real wood kit I got from Sherwood has a paper thin piece of Burlwood, most of the thickness is the finish and the 3M tape on the back. When I installed mine I removed all of the parts that it was going to be installed on so it would be more workable. I just laid the pieces of the kit in the sun for a few minutes and it got soft enough I could have rolled it up if I wanted to.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 4:33 pm

Should I do flat-aluminum, brushed aluminum, or a light colored wood with my jade interior? Anyone?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 6:59 pm

You have a jade interior in a silver car? Got pics? I can hardly believe GM made that combination. Usually they put a grey interior anywhere they can possibly put a grey interior.

I'm doubtful about the brushed aluminum. Get them to send samples of the finishes you're considering.

Last edited by Jack the R on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 7:22 pm

Here's the regular aluminum on a C4 Vette, I like how it looks:
http://www.bdtrims.com/images/expls/index.php?directory=CVL¤tPic=9

And here's the page with the finishes I can get:
http://www.dashtrims.com/availableFinishes.html

I like the look of the aluminum, and I'm not considering brushed aluminum and definitely not chrome. So it's flat-aluminum or a light wood, except that I don't like the wood with the Jade interior.

Here's my car, by the way. It's Adriatic Blue Metallic with a Jade interior. Not silver, just very light blue.

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 100_4952

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 100_4939

Last edited by IBx1 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 7:30 pm

So you are thinking about this right?
Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 A_small
Why not try one of the real carbon fiber kits like these?
Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 RSCF_smallWrite-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 RBCF_small
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 7:31 pm

i think the CF would look sweet in blue
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 7:37 pm

Yeah, that's what I'm considering. I don't think the CF is suited to a car like the Riviera though. Maybe something like a Corvette, but it even makes that look cheapo. Colored CF? That's pretty bad, imo. The aluminum I think would look nice because it's a dark interior that needs a bit of brightness. Aluminum has a nice, expensive, classy look to it, and fits right in here. Instead of a light interior and dark trim, I have to deal with a dark interior, so I'll go with light trim. Should look pretty good.

I also figure that the aluminum kit would be easier to install, seeing as it is real aluminum. It should bend easily and hold its form without peeling or cracking, but that's not to say I won't be careful about installing it.

Last edited by IBx1 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 9:40 pm

Sounds like you have your mind made up on aluminum. It probably would go good with the outside/interior color combo you have........
You've got my vote..I really like the wood look myself, but you've got to please you.....We all make our cars to reflect are own taste. teach
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 9:42 pm

I guess it does go with the exterior too. Silver to light blue to dark blue, I got quite a blue car, don't I?
Back to top Go down
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 10:01 pm

As long as it don't make ya blue, my brother. pimp
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Not at all, the way she drives! I named my car Alexandra because I know a lot of Alex's, and one of them in particular is a really fun girl to hang out with. Once I get my lisence and my parking spot next year in high school, I might even be driving Alex around in Alex. I'll be rollin' wit Alex...enough corniness for now.

I'll put in an order after "thinking" it over one last time. I'll contact the seller and take the money out of my $4,400 gas fund to cover the $200 dash kit, as soon as I fix my master brake cylinder...scary as hell when that thing goes on you.

Last edited by IBx1 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 1:17 am

I always thought jade was a green color.

I'd still get a sample from BD Trims before ordering. If the aluminum has the gloss coating on it, it might be more than you want. It's quite powerful.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 8:34 am

Alright, but do they give samples? I guess I'll call them up later.

*EDIT*

I just emailed them, and they have an office right down in Brooklyn, so if they can't send it(I hope they can) then I will at least be able to go see for myself.

Last edited by IBx1 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 5:01 pm

They offered to send me samples before I bought, but there was only one material I was interested in so I just ordered the full kit. The only thing I was disappointed in was the fit and, when everything was in, the somewhat overwhelming gloss.

Be extra careful not to get any air bubbles trapped under the pieces, especially that big piece in front of the passenger's seat. I really really really wish they'd put in a warning in the instructions about that.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 7:48 pm

Is it horribly glossy? Like if you're driving North or South at dawn or dusk does the sun's reflection off the side panels go into your eye? If it's going to be affecting my vision while driving then it may not be good. I'll find out when the sample gets here.

By the way, our hotel happens to have free high speed wi-fi.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 10:28 pm

It's not going to blind you, but the gloss is higher than it should be IMO. It does border on trashy. You won't be able to tell from one little piece. When I only had the center console and the door pieces on, I loved the gloss, but when I put it on the dash it suddenly became too much.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Considering buying a dash kit, but which one?   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 12:47 pm

My samples came from BD Trims after emailing them about my consideration, but I've come across warnings about the fit of their pieces. I have a 1995 Riviera with the dark jade interior, and no factory wood trim anywhere.

I'm considering finishes from the following companies:

Brushed Aluminum from Sherwood Dash

Brushed Silver or Black Cherry from AutoMyWay

And Brushed Aluminum from BD Trims

BD Trims gives you more pieces for less money, so I'd have the trim running all the way through the back armrests, but it sounds like a case of 'you get what you pay for.' $200 after shipping is a lot as is, but I think it may be worth it to spend the extra $50 to get a kit from a different company. Problem is that Sherwood and AutoMyWay don't have nearly as many pieces, and don't have the small strip that goes between the ashtray and CD player.

This is a big decision, so problems covering factory wood trim aside since I have none, what's the better buy? Should I avoid BD Trims and spend the extra for Sherwood, which seems like a high quality manufacturer? I'm also liking the Black Cherry from AutoMyWay.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 5:39 pm

I've got no reply from BD Trims to my last two emails, the last of which was a question about warranty coverage on the delaminating piece. IIRC BD Trims has a 1 year warranty, so my dash should still have about 6 months of coverage on it. Apparently they don't feel the need to honor that since I am a "difficult customer."

Since I had loads of trouble with pieces coming scratched, with dirt trapped under the epoxy layer, or surface damage to the epoxy layer (other than scratching); my epoxy layer is peeling off on one piece, and BD Trims won't talk to me about warranty coverage, I recommend avoiding them at all cost.

Don't worry about not having the arm rest pieces. I thought they looked bad and left them off. I like having the little piece across the top of the center console but it shouldn't keep you from buying a better dash kit. Sherwood may also sell trim strips seperately that would fit there.
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 5:48 pm

i personally like the black cherry. i think it would look nice on ur car
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 8:11 pm

Alright. I noticed those dirt particles trapped in the samples they sent me, too. I think I'll go with the Black Cherry, which is also by Sherwood by the way, or the brushed aluminum. I'll email Sherwood and ask them to send me a couple of samples. The dark wood does look nice on most things though, since it's a neutral color.
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 8:25 pm

I think since you have a blue interior I would get the brushed aluminum .
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 9:16 pm

I emailed Sherwood Dash requesting a sample of simulated Black Cherry and simulated Brushed Aluminum. Hopefully I'll get something in the mail in the next week or so. We'll see from there!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 4:14 am

IBx1 wrote:
Alright. I noticed those dirt particles trapped in the samples they sent me, too.

gavel Well I think we've got BD Trims number now.

I'll update my write up. No stars for you BD Trims!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 4:24 am

BTW you're being really smart by getting samples. I know it's tempting to rush in.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 6:21 am

Well, I'm not buying it now anyway. One, because it's too cold out to properly install it, and two, because I'm going to save up the money until it's warm enough so I don't deplete my gas funds. Big funds, and I'm not doing anything else to the car aesthetically, but they can go fast if anything goes wrong with the car.

I babysit next door every other week or so, and usually make $40 doing it. Just made $20 for a quick 2 1/2 hours Saturday night, and they want me from 5-9:30 on Wednesday. I only charge $8 an hour for two kids, they usually round up to the $10 for me.

By the time it's warm enough, I'll have plenty of money to buy a $250 Sherwood Dash Kit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation
Page 5 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next