Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Underhood Light

Go down 
+4
deekster_caddy
GMFreak8
albertj
moldymac
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Underhood Light - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underhood Light   Underhood Light - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Sorry, no idea... It's been several years.

They probably have them in regular parts stores by now, and they're all over the Net.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Underhood Light   Underhood Light - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 8:02 pm

Rickw wrote:
Thanks for all your input.
This is all just busy work as I'm not under the hood all that much in the dark and during the day for long jobs i have a long portable fluorescent drop-light that does the trick.
But always looking for easy to do upgrades and when Mark (Eldo) mentioned that a bulb change was almost the equivalent of a drop-light it got me thinking.
Speaking of using back-up bulbs, has anyone change out there backup bulbs to an LED or something else that provides more lumens.
I don't think my stock bulbs are good enough.
Any suggestions.

suggestions:

1) use any decent lens cleaner to clean the lenses. They yellow over time.
2) replace the bulbs, over time the filament leaves a silvery or black coating inside the glass, if your bulbs are more than a few years old and have developed that coating you'll get some brightness improvement by just *replacing* them.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Underhood Light   Underhood Light - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 8:54 pm

for the '95 the trunk lamp assy is 25555965, not showing up on Monster or GMPD; for the 96-on Riv it is 25635368. Supposedly the '96-on is still available for $11 plus shipping from Monster. But it lists for $14.33, looks like even with Monster's shipping deal it's less to get from local dealer. Is $8.94 from GMPD - but they want $16 for shipping, making it about $25 all in. No, thanks.

I suspect GM used this light assembly in a lot of cars, given that it is still available and looks so generic.

And it fits in a hole that's already there, Mark? Cool beans.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Underhood Light   Underhood Light - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 10:36 am

Eldo wrote:
GMFreak8 wrote:

I guess I just take too long under the hood. I was checking some stuff out one time and I turned the lights on manually by the switch, and by the time I had finished it didn't have enough juice left to turn it over.

Remember, you only have to turn on the parking lights, not the headlights, to activate the underhood lamp...

BTW, we upgrade our headlights, turn signals and brake lights, so if you're looking for the best light bulb (TTBOMK) for the trunk and hood lamps, I recommend the #577. These suckers are 21 candlepower, and they "go both ways" - they have end caps for using in the trunk fixtures, but the caps can be taken off to expose the wires that hook over the hood lamp terminals. I swear, that hood light is so bright that I don't need a drop light...

Thanks for the tip. I've become bright light crazy with the riv since ordering HIDs. lol

And wait a minute, we have a trunk light??? shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Underhood Light   Underhood Light - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Underhood Light
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2