Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Anyone have experience painting plastics?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

Anyone have experience painting plastics? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone have experience painting plastics?   Anyone have experience painting plastics? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 11:12 pm

Hey guys, I need a little guidance before taking on my first real project on my second car. I've decided to change out the radio for a unit with an auxilliary input jack and MP3/WMA capability, and figured that while I have the dashboard apart, why not paint it. I'm going to paint the silver center console in this picture a pearlescent white, since the silver paint is flaky around the edges:

Anyone have experience painting plastics? 103_7492

Anyone have experience painting plastics? Spd_20090919115251_b

The paint I've picked out is Tamiya's TS-45 model paint. It's a small spray can of lacquer paint so it doesn't need any clear coat(if I understand lacquers correctly). My only experience with painting car parts was with spray painting my Riviera's engine cover. I've never painted anything like this and need it to come out looking great. My questions are: am I making a good choice in picking a lacquer model paint(made for plastics), should I use adhesion promoter or anything like that, and a confirmation on my assumption that lacquers don't need a clear coat on top? Thanks a lot in advance guys.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience painting plastics?   Anyone have experience painting plastics? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 11:19 pm

I think you're going to have durability issues with the laquer and hence need to get a can of paint you want made up at an aautomotive paint shop.

Just sayin'.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience painting plastics?   Anyone have experience painting plastics? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 11:22 pm

If lacquer won't hold up well, I could spray it flat black to match the rest of the interior instead, but I love the look of pearl white. I'm limited in that I don't have an air gun and can only use spray cans. Would acryllic or enamel paints have the same issues?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience painting plastics?   Anyone have experience painting plastics? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 pm

the best thing to do is get a urethane paint at the auto body shop. its way more flexible than the one for models. adhesion promotor is allways a good thing. most important is the prep. clean ,sand,320grit,clean again. adhession promoter and then the color. if you clear coat the end result,the finish will last even longer. PREPARATION IS THE KEY!
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience painting plastics?   Anyone have experience painting plastics? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 11:49 pm

I'd make sure to clean the surface very very well before doing anything! I'm wondering though, how would I apply paint that I would have made at an auto body shop? I don't have an airgun, and only have a little air compressor(150psi max) for filling tires. I doubt you can brush this stuff on(never heard of brushes being used on cars).
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience painting plastics?   Anyone have experience painting plastics? EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 12:03 am

SEM makes a thousand different colors ready to spray. if they dont have(highly unlikly)the color you want,they can mix any color you want and make a "spray can" for you. no need for a compressor or special equipment to do small jobs. just have to find a good body supply shop that has the machine to make up custom spray cans
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience painting plastics?   Anyone have experience painting plastics? EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 12:15 am

I'll look into SEM for a urethane pearl white then!
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience painting plastics?   Anyone have experience painting plastics? EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 12:39 am

Yeah SEM is the way to go. Post pics when done sir. Sounds like a fun project. happy
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience painting plastics?   Anyone have experience painting plastics? EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 1:04 am

I definitely will, but finding what I need from SEM is a bit difficult. I think I've managed to find pearl mix-ins(sorta like that yogurt), but am stumped as to what I mix it into. A white paint? Clear coat? Do I do a white primer and then mix pearls in with clear to spray that on?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience painting plastics?   Anyone have experience painting plastics? EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 1:40 am

IBx1 wrote:
I definitely will, but finding what I need from SEM is a bit difficult. I think I've managed to find pearl mix-ins(sorta like that yogurt), but am stumped as to what I mix it into. A white paint? Clear coat? Do I do a white primer and then mix pearls in with clear to spray that on?

why not let the paint shop worry about sourcing the pigments and additives?!?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience painting plastics?   Anyone have experience painting plastics? EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 1:45 am

IBx1 wrote:

good grief man! go to the body shop and demand OPEN THE BOOKS!!
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience painting plastics?   Anyone have experience painting plastics? EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 1:38 pm

Got it in this morning, along with the new radio! Each piece was gone over 9 times with the pearl white paint. The primer started to drip a little since I hung up the parts to spray them, but overall it looks pretty good. I used 1500 grit sandpaper to make it nice and smooth to the touch, even though the surface may not look completely smooth if you put your eye right up to it.

Anyone have experience painting plastics? 103_7847

Anyone have experience painting plastics? 103_7850

Anyone have experience painting plastics? 103_7851

Anyone have experience painting plastics? 103_7852

Anyone have experience painting plastics? 103_7853

Anyone have experience painting plastics? 103_7854

Anyone have experience painting plastics? 103_7857

Anyone have experience painting plastics? 103_7855
Back to top Go down
95rivy
Enthusiast
95rivy

Name : curt
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience painting plastics?   Anyone have experience painting plastics? EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 2:09 pm

sweet dude that looks great in your car. I wasnt sure if i liked the color in your first couple of pics but when i saw it in your car. I feel in love with it. It goes great with the dash
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience painting plastics?   Anyone have experience painting plastics? EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks! I'm pleased with the results for my first time doing paintwork like this.

Your Riv was actually what inspired me to do this, after seeing your chameleon dash!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience painting plastics?   Anyone have experience painting plastics? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone have experience painting plastics?
Page 1 of 1