Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

lower intake compatability

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
riv96
Amateur
riv96

Name : Timm Hoffman
Merit : 0

lower intake compatability  Empty
PostSubject: lower intake compatability    lower intake compatability  EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 10:14 am

hello to all. i am doing an engine swap in my brothers 99 regal. it has a NA3800 in it with a wicked lower end knock. i happen to have a 98 riviera layin around for parts with a good supercharged engine. i was wondering how hard it would be to make this engine work in the regal? i dont care about performance so if its easier i would just swap everything from the lower intake up. i would think thats possible but im not sure if the heads are different on the supercharged engine.
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

Name : David
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: lower intake compatability    lower intake compatability  EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 12:46 pm

The heads are different between the NA and supercharged engine. The compression is lower on the SC engine, that may cause a problem on a NA engine, but not sure. You could swap the complete SC engine into the regal and get a computer from a regal GS, just a thought.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: lower intake compatability    lower intake compatability  EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:31 pm

moldymac wrote:
The heads are different between the NA and supercharged engine. The compression is lower on the SC engine, that may cause a problem on a NA engine, but not sure. You could swap the complete SC engine into the regal and get a computer from a regal GS, just a thought.

This would work really well.

Do you think the front (suspension) springs for the blown GS are different than for the NA version? I don't know.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: lower intake compatability    lower intake compatability  EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 6:15 pm

I would swap the completed s/c motor out of the riv into the regal and preferably the HD components for the trans (not too tough to do) and get a w-body s/c harness and pcm. Even with buying the harness or modifying the regal harness or whatever, it'll still be cheaper/less work than re-gasketing the whole motor for a top end/head swap.

Using the N/A top end on a S/C bottom end will give you a pretty gutless, less-efficient motor in comparison. It's not that it wouldn't work, it just wouldn't make sense.
Back to top Go down
riv96
Amateur
riv96

PostSubject: Re: lower intake compatability    lower intake compatability  EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 10:24 am

thanks guys. i know it wouldnt make much sense to put a non supercharged intake on those heads. he just isnt paying me enough for the work so im looking for the easiest way possible. i think the supercharged engine is easier. but i also dont feel like dealing with the wiring... gotta do some thinking
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: lower intake compatability    lower intake compatability  EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 4:07 pm

I don't think wiring would be an issue at all if you buy a '99 (or compatible) harness and pcm from Morad. It's all under the hood so it would be no problem at all with the motor out to swap the wiring. That's what I'd do. I'm sure Morad would know the years that would work.
Back to top Go down
riv96
Amateur
riv96

PostSubject: Re: lower intake compatability    lower intake compatability  EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 10:15 pm

the thing is i dont want to spend any money. its not my car and im not getting paid enough haha. thanks for the replies. i will give that some thought
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: lower intake compatability    lower intake compatability  EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 12:32 am

Do you think it might be the "cheapest option" would be get a junkyard NA3800 engine (there are *a lot* of them around) and directly swap it in? Donor 3800s are in buick centuries, regals; olds 88s, Buick LeSabres, Pontiac Bonnevilles, and a bunch of other GM cars. I mean, it depends on what you have locally but it might be worth a shot.

I mean, at the "pick-a-part" near me a used engine goes for $205 including core

http://horseheadspickapart.com/content.php?id=44&parts_id=60

a running engine from a local junkyard might be worth a call. the 3800s are *plentiful*.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: lower intake compatability    lower intake compatability  Empty

Back to top Go down

lower intake compatability
Page 1 of 1