Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts

Go down 
+58
KnottyEagle
my95riv
c0reyl
Abaddon
dbs99riv
Tha Great Riviera SC95
chitown_riv98
abaucom
highwaywarrior
RidzRiv
LARRY70GS
2000ws6transam
rk0ehn
DEMonte1997
setsuna57
dboydakid
RivieraTim
95rivy
BMD
97 park ave
flyineagle96
epic612
Lenrapkins
VegasScott
gabbysRiviera
Riviboi95
madrivage
Hard4unot2
nigelf
Eldo
robotennis61
RivieraRyan
mikemc
lionfish
hotrod58
98riv
Rickw
Chicken
Supercharged
daltonultra
andrzejsze
Buickman104
AA
deekster_caddy
ewolfe0050
Mr.Riviera
Turbocharged400sbc
98RIV7777
1998 Riv
albertj
BillBoost37
steve1173
97rivman
turtleman
oldsman105
Jack the R
62 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Lenrapkins

Name : Leonard Bernard Rapkins
Merit : 2

FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Engine and trans mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:25 am

Well at long last I have my mounts fixed on my 97 Riv and would like to pass this info on. This is for info only to try to help others with the same problem. The front trans mount is available from O Reileys approx $40.00. The rear trans mount rubber is available from Westar at approx $35.00. Now for the driver side engine mount. I fixed this problem by purchasing the mount for the Buick Park Avenue and changing out the insert by prizing open the the little tabs, removing the center and swapping it over. Cost approx $50.00 from O Reileys. I hope this helps.
Len Rapkins smile
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 2:08 pm

Len, thanks for the report. I need to do my mounts soon, so this will definately help me out!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 2:16 pm

What year park ave did you pull the passenger side engine mount from?
That is the only one i still need to replace and i have yet to see it anywhere.

Back to top Go down
Lenrapkins

Name : Leonard Bernard Rapkins
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 3:17 pm

I purchased the PA mount from O Reileys and changed over the inserts. QED. If anyone needs more info feel free to call me 704 771 1953.
Len Rapkins
Back to top Go down
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

Name : Scott
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Okay, I just did my front and rear mounts this weekend with the help of a buddy on the rear mount.

The front trans mount is simple. It took me about 40 minutes, but the bulk of that time was cutting a piece of 2x4 by hand to use as a "mechanical persuasion tool." gavel I had every intention of doing a great photo write up on this repair, but I got into a time crunch with an evening out on the town with my wife to celebrate our 13th wedding anniversary. So, unfortunately, you'll see that I don't have squat for pictures for the rear repair. Once I got to the rear mount, I had to leave my garage twice... Once to Lowes to get a 24" half inch socket extension. (Of course, they didn't have it, so I had to "erector set" 3 10" extensions. Once I got the steering rack bolts out, I had to run to Autozone to get a 55 torx head socket for the lower mount bolts. All in all, it was pretty smooth, and I made the date with the wife. Which is probably the most important thing if I want to be able to "play" in the garage with the boys... rolleyes

I uploaded some pics to photobucket...

Rear Mount on the Left 3065. Front Mount on the Right 3127. (Both ordered from RockAuto, but shipped directly from Anchor)
FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 CIMG0406

Shot of the forward mount
FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 CIMG0408

Another shot of the forward mount
FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 CIMG0411

Jack stand under the trans bracket supporting the engine and trans
FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 CIMG0412

Using the floor jack, you can get the frame to the proper height of the trans bracket which will allow you to get the bolt holes to line up when you replace the mount with the new one.
FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 CIMG0413

Took this shot without looking! shoved my hand under and shot! lol It's a great shot if I may say so myself! Here you can see the jack stand supporting the trans bracket.
FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 CIMG0414

Here I'm removing the bolt that runs through the trans bracket and through the mount.
FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 CIMG0416

Unbolt the mount from the frame.
FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 CIMG0417

The old mount.
FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 CIMG0419

The old mount versus the new mount.
FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 CIMG0418

Another shot of the old mount. It seems there is less rubber cast into the original mounts versus the newer ones. Look at the side by side comparission picture above.
FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 CIMG0420

My mount required a little "mechanical persuasion" so I used a 2x4 and tapped it into place for my frame bolt to pass through.
FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 CIMG0421

This is the first shot of the job to replace the rear mount. You need a long extension and a universal to get the bolts off of the steering rack.
FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 CIMG0422

Sorry again for the lack of photos on the rear mount. I was in a hurry... See my original comments above.

This is a comparrison of the old worn out rear mount and the new one.
FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 CIMG0424

A couple of things for those of you that haven't done this yet... Make sure you have a long enough extension to reach those rack bolts, and make sure you have a 55 Torqx socket. I used some of the write up from here to help me out BECAUSE THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL IS USELESS. It's pretty straight forward for the rear, just take off the end links on the sway bar and you can rotate it out of the way to get the old mount out. The post I read talked about undoing subframe assembly bolts, and that is NOT needed. It will save you some time.

The car is better, but I have one mount left to check out, and that is the driver's side mount. The car still has a little vibration at idle, but at least the engine isn't jumping all over the place now when put into gear. happy

VegasScott

Last edited by VegasScott on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.german-pride.com
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 4:33 pm

clap Nice! Thanks for the pics!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Oh yeah, the other thing that took about 20-25 minutes with the rear mount, was aligning the bolt hole in the mount with the bolt holes on the trans bracket. SUCKED! Fought me for a while... But I won! smile

VegasScott
Back to top Go down
epic612
Amateur

Name : Collin "C Note" Abram
Merit : 0

PostSubject: 1996 Riviera Trans/Power Steering Rack Mount   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 4:43 am

What is the compatibility between 95-99 for the Trans mount that the power steer rack mounts to? I need to replace the metal part as well as the rubber bushing. Wondering what years I can get the part from, if there is any difference. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/7point62mm
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Make 1
Back to top Go down
epic612
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Not really practical, since I don't have the materials or tools to fabricate. That's why I asked about compatibility, not how easy is it to make one, or how can I replace it. Thanks for the relevant answer.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 11:14 pm

You can use one for a 95-98 riv, not 99. Park Ave also has the same ones. I'm not sure if the year span is the same on the PA though; but I'd think 95-98 would be a reasonably safe bet.
Back to top Go down
epic612
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 12:57 am

Cool, thanks a lot!
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 12:02 pm

epic612 wrote:
Not really practical, since I don't have the materials or tools to fabricate. That's why I asked about compatibility, not how easy is it to make one, or how can I replace it. Thanks for the relevant answer.
Hockey pucks and a saw or some other cutting tool, thats all you need.

turtleman wrote:
You can use one for a 95-98 riv, not 99. Park Ave also has the same ones. I'm not sure if the year span is the same on the PA though; but I'd think 95-98 would be a reasonably safe bet.

97-05 for the park aves
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:25 pm

Excellent write-up Scott, I am due for this repair and after seeing your write-up I might give it a shot. By the way, nice garage floor. Also, I can't believe how nice and clean the Riv in the Southwest are!
Back to top Go down
VegasScott
Enthusiast
VegasScott

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:23 am

Thanks! I apologize for the lack of pics of the rear mount, but I was in hurry to finish as I had a deadline to meet. It's time consuming, but not that difficult.

As for cars in the SW, that's one of major reasons why I moved out here! wink

I'm very happy with my RIv. It's very comfortable, has decent power, and floats down the road like a caddy! The only thing I need to yet is figure out my transmission hose thats leaking. Then I'd be 100% satisfied with my car.

VegasScott
Back to top Go down
95rivy
Enthusiast
95rivy

Name : curt
Merit : 3

PostSubject: new tanny mount   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 8:31 am

I'm finally getting my rear mount fixed tomorrow. I cant wait to drive with out that clunk sound ever time i go in reverse and shift from 1st to 2nd. I got a dealer mount for $211 and they will put it in for 40 bucks..I would normally do this myself but for $40 to have someone else do it, im not getting out of bed for that. I'll let you guys know how it drives when my wife brings it home from work joy
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 7:07 pm

95rivy wrote:
I'm finally getting my rear mount fixed tomorrow. I cant wait to drive with out that clunk sound ever time i go in reverse and shift from 1st to 2nd. I got a dealer mount for $211 and they will put it in for 40 bucks..I would normally do this myself but for $40 to have someone else do it, im not getting out of bed for that. I'll let you guys know how it drives when my wife brings it home from work joy

it'll drive better but you really ought to double check the front tranny mount. I had my car back at the transmission shop that did the rebuild, I had to show the mech how to tell the mount was wack, he thought it was good. A dealer mech probably would not have this problem.

I mean you don't want to be in a wizzing contest with your friendly professional mechanic but nobody's perfec.t

bounce
Back to top Go down
95rivy
Enthusiast
95rivy

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 5:27 pm

Yea i will replace the front mount as well, but the rear mount was gone completely. The bolt was sitting on the bottom of the mount, was'nt pretty. Like i said before having that mount changed for $40 bucks was well worth it
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 7:17 pm

95rivy wrote:
Yea i will replace the front mount as well, but the rear mount was gone completely. The bolt was sitting on the bottom of the mount, was'nt pretty. Like i said before having that mount changed for $40 bucks was well worth it

agree

Last edited by albertj on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
95rivy
Enthusiast
95rivy

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 6:04 pm

werd [/quote
huh? sorry man dont your comment ..you almost always have great things to say. Im i doing anything wrong with my mounts?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 3:01 pm

95rivy wrote:

werd [/quote
huh? sorry man dont your comment ..you almost always have great things to say. Im i doing anything wrong with my mounts?

hit the wrong cartoon, sorry.

You'll get to the mounts when you're ready. They should last longer if you refresh them all at once. Also it's less hassle to support the engine once and get both trans mounts.

Happy mounting...
Back to top Go down
95rivy
Enthusiast
95rivy

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 3:12 pm

thanks man will be getting the front mount real soon, then its off to the passenger mount.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 7:29 am

95rivy wrote:
thanks man will be getting the front mount real soon, then its off to the passenger mount.

that reminds me, have to bug len rapkins for the p/n for the park ave passenger-side motor mount. Supposedly you slip the thing out of its can and use that insert in the Riv mount.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 11:01 pm

Spoke with the parts guy at the local GM dealer by me and got a GM part # for the passenger side mount.
That is for the whole thing, rubber insert and metal bracket. Dealer price of like $15. Would be really nice if we could get one from somewhere else or just replace the insert, though it doesnt look like it would come out easily.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 11:37 pm

can the dealer get them?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next