Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil

Go down 
+39
EyeDoc1
1967 - 1997 Riviera
joshuadalegrimes
96_Juggernaut
IFallsRon
charlieRobinson
manofmany
scrhodes4942
carlos
flyineagle96
Abaddon
GMFreak8
24198tom
fieromanie
DEMonte1997
Eldo
robotennis61
Rickw
L67
98inSFl
albertj
Ironclad-454
95RiviSC
Ash
98RiviSC
curious riv
AA
vendetta
deekster_caddy
1wickedninja
akasirro
ibmoses
Mr.Riviera
99Rivman
SpaceBar
¤DoughBoy¤
1998 Riv
Fuzzy
mayfair4life187
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 3:50 pm

How often are you guys changing the oil in the SC, by the way.

I did mine shortly after buying the car and haven't done it since. I'm sure it's due, I have about 40K miles on it since last change.

I figure I should add to the list of things to do at every 30k miles, probably with every Trans Fluid change would be a good point to do it.

What do you think.?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 4:14 pm

I change SC oil when I do the trans fluid and plugs every 25k miles. I check the level about every other oil change.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 4:36 pm

I haven't checked the SC oil level because I haven't seen any leaks or weepage.

Hell, I haven't checked under the back seat to get a look at my battery in over 3 years, now that I think about it.

Whenever I have done work under the hood that requires disconnecting the battery, I just disconnect the connection under the hood and tape off the battery cable coming from the back of the car. Has worked for me.
I guess that is born from having a bad back and not wanting to crouch in the back seat area in an uncomfortable position and jerk the seat bottom up. The last time I did that I regretted it. This is the simple stuff I have to pay someone to do for me nowadays. But I keep forgetting about the battery.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 4:52 pm

Rickw wrote:
I haven't checked the SC oil level because I haven't seen any leaks or weepage.

Hell, I haven't checked under the back seat to get a look at my battery in over 3 years, now that I think about it.

Whenever I have done work under the hood that requires disconnecting the battery, I just disconnect the connection under the hood and tape off the battery cable coming from the back of the car. Has worked for me.
I guess that is born from having a bad back and not wanting to crouch in the back seat area in an uncomfortable position and jerk the seat bottom up. The last time I did that I regretted it. This is the simple stuff I have to pay someone to do for me nowadays. But I keep forgetting about the battery.

Admit it, you're like me and just too lazy to clean off the back seat and lift the seat up. Just like the toilet seat. wink
Back to top Go down
24198tom
Rookie

Name : Tom Hiatt
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks Rick, It is a 3/16 allen wrench. There was a bunch of dirt and debri way down inside the opening of the fill plug so thats why I couldn't get the allen wrench in there. I called and ordered a new fill plug because this one is getting pretty sloppy inside. It will be here Saturday. Thanks Again, Tom
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 12:20 am

Rickw wrote:
How often are you guys changing the oil in the SC, by the way.

I figure I should add to the list of things to do at every 30k miles, probably with every Trans Fluid change would be a good point to do it.

What do you think.?

AA wrote:
I change SC oil when I do the trans fluid and plugs every 25k miles. I check the level about every other oil change.

agree
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: The definitive answer to the S/C oil question   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 12:52 pm

There is no definitive answer. According to Eaton," The oil used in our superchargers is classified. We have never used whale oil. Whale oil is like Ivory,it is not a tradable commodity"
Me: "My 1995 GM service manual,on the M62, offers 5w30 oil as a substitute for GM oil"
Eaton: "We cannot answer why GM allows 5w30 as a substitute.Our oil is a NYE 605.It is a gear oil"
Me: "Why doesn't GM offer 5w30 as a substitute oil in the M90 S/C"
Eaton: "We cannot answer why GM does not allow 5W30 oil as a substitute"

Sounds like a whole lotta whale shit to me. Ill continue using my PRO recommended blend of 5W30 syn oil with Lucas oil stabilizer.
Eaton can shove their stinky NYE 605 oil right back up their arses.

Another product recommended by Supercharger USA .com for their rebuilds. Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 43_s
The Redline stuff is used for high HP Blowers.
PSEsuperchargers.com,out of oklahoma,A S/C rebuilding company, only uses Mobil 15w50 oil.period.
Not one company i called use the GM oil.They go so far as to recommend it,but when asked if they use GM oil,the answer is no.Lotsa cooks in the kitchen but everybody is using different ingredients. Not following the recipe at all!
Update: According to a source,One of the ingredients in the GM oil is a Synthetic Castor bean oil. It just sounds more and more like Gm Wants to scare the consumer into buying Gm oil exclusively by engineering an Exotic S/C oil.
The performance S/C repair and rebuild industry would go out of business overnight if their superchargers burned up for failing to use the Eaton/GM recommended oil.

Last edited by robotennis61 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:43 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 1:46 pm

So wait.... Is Eaton saying that lightweight shockproof gear oil is good for their M90s? And if so... how much less $$$$ we talking about?

Wait... I just looked it up and you can get a 1 quart bottle of this stuff for about $11 on Amazon and that = 32 ounces. Last I checked, we put a little over 6 ounces in on a SC fluid change. If those bottles cost roughly the same amount for only 4 ounces, this is a pretty damn good deal.

Can anyone confirm? Not that I need oil now, just curious.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 2:37 pm

http://productsearch.nyelubricants.com/pdf/TDS_English_SYNTHETIC%20OIL%20605.pdf

study

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Well, the S/C oil is made of this......(I have a bottle)

Fatty Acids, C5-10, esters with dipentaerythritol
Phosphoric acid (1, 1-dimethylethy)
phenyl diphenyl ester

I suppose if we find an oil made up of the same shit we'd be ok.

I'm not a chemist, so I have no idea wtf any of that is except Fatty Acids and Phosphoric acid.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Well, the fatty acids definitely explain the rotten cheddar smell... puke
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Dam that shit, sure does smell like "ass"!!!! lol Hey,maybe we should put a used bottle, in the DUMP THREAD, so people can smell it.... nono
Back to top Go down
carlos
Rookie

Name : carlosfuentes

PostSubject: temp   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 12:30 pm

I can put the motor oil in the supercharged is that I live in mexico but here in my city can not find the special oil?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Ay caramba! What year is your car?
Back to top Go down
carlos
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:03 pm

another type of oil that can carry the SC, is that where I live is impossible to find the special oil, I live in mexico?

HELPPPPPPPPPP
Back to top Go down
carlos
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:04 pm

MY CAR IS THE BUICK RIVIERA 96 SUPERCHARGED
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 3:24 pm

go to ,Rockauto.com
you can order from them
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 6:54 pm

summit racing also carries gm supercharger oil for like $9 a bottle. that is what most gm dealers will charge you after the loyalty discount.

Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 8:02 pm

Carlos, do you have any General Motors dealers in your area?
In general, any GM dealer can order parts for any Buick, Olds, Chevy, etc...

The supercharger oil is part #12345982, and you need 2 bottles.
Back to top Go down
scrhodes4942
Special
scrhodes4942

PostSubject: Supercharger oil change cost...   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 8:18 am

What can I expect to pay to have the oil changed on the Supercharger on my 98 Riv? I am taking it to a GM dealer. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 8:28 am

When I was at the dealer, we charged 1.0 labor ($90), and it's around $35-$40 for 2 bottles of oil. You're looking at about $130 total.

You're better off renting a vacuum pump from the parts store and doing it yourself. It's a simple job to do....
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 8:39 am

scrhodes4942 wrote:
What can I expect to pay to have the oil changed on the Supercharger on my 98 Riv? I am taking it to a GM dealer. Thanks

Do it yourself man! dont miss this opportunity to get close and personal with your Riv.I'm not supposed to tell you this but...when you get close and personal with a Riv,you join a secret society of druids.secrets of the universe will later be revealed to you....................
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 8:59 am

Robo, we've told you to stop huffing the bug spray dude.....razz
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 9:18 am

scrhodes4942 wrote:

sad

if you buy 2 bottles of SC oil, then go to a dollar store and get a "turkey baster" (just ask they'll know and they'll likely have 'em) you can change the oil yourself.

- park the car **level** (so you don't goof emptying or filling the SC)
- SC oil bung plug is at base of SC snout
- try taking the plug out with allen wrench (if it is not in too tight a Torx will work bUT risks stripping)
- if plug is "stuck" warm up the car then take it out (usually when warm it comes out easy, plug is steel SC is a light alloy)
- suck out SC oil and discard per local regulations (if no local regs, use crumpled newspaper in a trash bag to soak it all up. Warning, it really smells bad)
- pour in replacement SC oil, til the oil level is at bottom of the threads of the SC oil check/fill hole
- replace SC oil bung plug.

If it is any comfort to you if you have your oil changes at a GM dealer they are supposed to check and top off the SC oil. This is hit-or-miss. At my dealer I find it depends on which mechanic does the OC. So unless I am overdue for the OC I just do it myself and check the SC fluid then. If I am overdue and in the dealer for other reasons (I consult to a client near one dealer) I will have dealer do OC. And check SC fluid.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 10:03 am

A link with step-by-step pictures is on page 1 of this thread, if you need visual reference.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next