HomeDashboardFAQSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksMemberlistLog in
Share | 

Write-Up: AC Compressor & Clutch Replacement

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: AC Compressor & Clutch Replacement   Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:26 pm

My compressor on my car is leaking oil and I need to replace it. Does anyone know what the difference is between the AC Delco 15-21697A and the AC Delco 15-21697? 15-21697 is about $8 more expensive on Rockauto.com.

Guru

Name :
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: AC Compressor & Clutch Replacement   Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:38 am

98riv wrote:
My compressor on my car is leaking oil and I need to replace it.  Does anyone know what the difference is between the AC Delco 15-21697A and the AC Delco 15-21697?  15-21697 is about $8 more expensive on Rockauto.com.

See https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B0016IXN72
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: AC Compressor & Clutch Replacement   Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:12 pm

Is it worth the extra $30 or so on Amazon to get the oem over the profesional version?

Should I also replace any other components or orings while I have it apart? I'll also order a new drier and orifice tube.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: AC Compressor & Clutch Replacement   Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:34 pm

98riv wrote:
Is it worth the extra $30 or so on Amazon to get the oem over the profesional version?  

Should I also replace any other components or orings while I have it apart?  I'll also order a new drier and orifice tube.

I do not know how the OEM and Pro versions compare in this case; I do know that the Delco OEM tends to be better than the Professional version across the product lines.

You may want to flush the system if the old compressor fragged when it failed. You must get a new dryer and orifice valve, both are usually done in by compressor failure, or worn out when compressor wears out. Replacement orings should come with the parts you are R&Ring, and you definitely should use them if only because in applications having thermal cycling it usually does not take long at all for orings of whatever composition to take on a Set.

I think this was broached (what to replace) earlier in this thread. And I think there i posted that you should/need to get the Variable orifice valve.
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: AC Compressor & Clutch Replacement   Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:12 pm

Hopefully I caught it in time as the air conditioning was working before I saw the oil puddle and no weird noises coming from it either. I am planning on getting the variable orifice valve. Is there any reason to change the valve core or o rings for the condensor while it is apart or is it a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Guru

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: AC Compressor & Clutch Replacement   Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:29 pm

98riv wrote:
Hopefully I caught it in time as the air conditioning was working before I saw the oil puddle and no weird noises coming from it either.  I am planning on getting the variable orifice valve.  Is there any reason to change the valve core or o rings for the condensor while it is apart or is it a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it?

When you depressurize an AC system, expect to replace o-rings in order to prevent stupid leaks.

Valve core -- you don't want to leave dirt or compressor fragments in the system. Do you really want to agonize over an inexpensive part which, if it is dirty beneath, will ruin the rest of your install?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert

Name : Matthew
Merit : 99

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: AC Compressor & Clutch Replacement   Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:44 am

Are you sure the leak is from the compressor? I had mine dripping and it ended up being the high pressure line in front of the compressor had cracked.

Also, if you (or anyone else) ends up needing a new evaporator core i have a brand new one that i never installed (since i found my leak elsewhere).

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: AC Compressor & Clutch Replacement   Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:56 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
Are you sure the leak is from the compressor? I had mine dripping and it ended up being the high pressure line in front of the compressor had cracked.

Also, if you (or anyone else) ends up needing a new evaporator core i have a brand new one that i never installed (since i found my leak elsewhere).

That's a good point about the line could be leaking. I just took a look and the lines seem to be fine and somewhat clean with no oil residue. It hasn't leaked any oil this week, but then again I haven't driven it much this week either. The air does still blow cold so hopefully it was caught in time before filling the system up with debris.

Write-Up: AC Compressor & Clutch Replacement
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6