Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!

Go down 
+67
ghpcnm
Johnny5
nebstewart07
bigdave
abchuuch
th3fr4nchi5e
stan
Z-type
matt270avian
jbird
J. Chris Davis
charlieRobinson
rivparadise
Riviboi95
robotennis61
norsky86
Hometown Hero
Rosario
sqrivi
Rickw
YO MUDA
xxsupergman25xx
Abaddon
brians74x
ZEP
VJD2
Tank
Eldo
ghost88
ewolfe0050
97rivsc
L67
DEMonte1997
millerje18
98RIV7777
BoattailBob
captshiner
1wickedninja
Snowdog
IBx1
TonySmooth89
deekster_caddy
texasfan010
'96reese
jrocha
SpaceBar
mcgusto82
Ridin-Rivi
dreww
Jack the R
99Rivman
98riv
2toneRivi
Pearl Riv
Jason
96riv
jax95riv
Andysdorm
turtleman
Darko
1998 Riv
racinfan
AA
¤DoughBoy¤
pwmin
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
71 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
¤DoughBoy¤
Enthusiast
¤DoughBoy¤

Name : D.J.
Merit : 0

FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 2:35 pm

if i don't like the way they look on my car I can alway's sell them........
Back to top Go down
2toneRivi

Name : Chris

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 2:47 pm

i personally dont like black rims... but i mean is up to you.. i think chrome always looks better.... whats ur budget??
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 2:52 pm

How about replacing your yellowed corners first? And is that paint flaking off the air dam in front of your driver's side wheel?
Back to top Go down
¤DoughBoy¤
Enthusiast
¤DoughBoy¤

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 2:52 pm

lol.......anyone?
Back to top Go down
2toneRivi

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 2:59 pm

^^^^^ lol.. good one.. let see a pic of ur car!!!!
Back to top Go down
¤DoughBoy¤
Enthusiast
¤DoughBoy¤

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 3:40 pm

Jack the R wrote:
How about replacing your yellowed corners first? And is that paint flaking off the air dam in front of your driver's side wheel?

huh?

this dude is a hater........
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 3:45 pm

¤DoughBoy¤ wrote:
Nice.........again thanks for the replys........

So in dummy terms those rims would fit directly on with no problem?

As far as the bolt pattern, Yes. I'm not sure about the offset of the stock wheels so I can't say about that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
¤DoughBoy¤
Enthusiast
¤DoughBoy¤

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 3:51 pm

I was told to get offset in the 30's?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 4:14 pm

I'm also not sure of OEM offset on our rims. Search "offset" here or on regalgs, I"ll bet you find the info.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2007 4:17 pm

¤DoughBoy¤ wrote:
Jack the R wrote:

huh?

Nah, Jack just likes to speak his mind. poke
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 12:05 am

2toneRivi wrote:
oksy i got the money... but i dont really know if they fit or not... curently i got 22s ono my rivi with a 255/30/22 tire.. and i see some extra space.. ....

so you say you see wheel gap, okay, but I dont think that bigger rims will help that much and this is why.....

2toneRivi wrote:
my front tires got spacers and i got air shocks on my rear side.... 22s einth doing it for me i need 24s

you had to put in spacers and adjust the shocks to accept the size of the 22's. That is causing the wheel gap. Bigger rims mean you will probably need more lift (if you want the car to actually be driveable) and then you still have gap problems.

its a catch -22. Sounds like you want 24's so you can say you got 24's. My neighbor is the same way. He's got 20's on his oldsmobile and they look great. no gap, perfect fit. he wants bigger rims though rolleyes Pretty much just to say he's got 22's or 24's. But they would make his ride look terrible. he would need to lift it alot.
Back to top Go down
¤DoughBoy¤
Enthusiast
¤DoughBoy¤

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 12:30 am

1998 Riv wrote:
¤DoughBoy¤ wrote:
Jack the R wrote:

huh?

Nah, Jack just likes to speak his mind. poke

I'm pretty sure he knows he has to change his cornering lights.......why point that out..........were talking about rims......not cornering lights.........
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 1:02 am

CANT WE ALL JUST BE FREINDS dunno dunno dunno dunno dunno dunno dunno
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 6:54 am

¤DoughBoy¤ wrote:
Jack the R wrote:

huh?

I agree. Some comments aren't needed or helpful. We all drive a work in progress and we all have different taste. If it's not helpful or constructive...it's best to bite the side of the jaw and keep it to yourself and post in a thread where you have interest.

Personally, I feel any rim 20+ should be on a bagged car. End of story, but that's just me. Some people like the "I need a rope ladder to get outta my car" look. Each their own. jesus
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 8:57 am

quote: "Some comments aren't needed or helpful. We all drive a work in progress and we all have different taste."

I agree. I think what Jack the R is saying is, super-nice rims should go on super-nice cars, and in his opinion DoughBoy's Riv needs some cosmetic maintenance... something that could be paid for with the money dropped on 24" rims.

And I generally agree with this point of view, but looking at the Riv in question, I could find nothing so wrong with his car that it looks uncared for. If there is any paint chipping away, I can't see it. And yellowed corners, well, I have them, too. Adds character, imo. wink

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 3:46 pm

AA wrote:

And yellowed corners... Adds character, imo. wink

lmfao

i dont think 24's will fit, but you can always take a look through the cardomain pages and see is anyone else has done it. if not then it is a safe bet the car would need extensive work to make it drivable.
what about 24's in the rear and 22's up front? pimp
just to give it more of an agressive look lol

keep in mind, all the performance of that supercharger will go out the door when you put large rims on. and you may have tranny/axel problems down the road.

Back to top Go down
2toneRivi

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 3:49 pm

^^^^^^ tranny problems.??? sorry for all this drama... i diddnt really get offended nor took it personally... its cool everyone has a different opinion but just the way he said it.. it wasnt cool but whatever.... ill see about the 24s... i want 24s..... but i checked in car domain and no one has a rivi on 24s... but that just made me want to do it even more
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 4:03 pm

the extra weight of the rims puts extra stress on the transaxle

...now where is that video of the dudes wheel snapping the axel on the drag strip???

Back to top Go down
2toneRivi

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 4:18 pm

yeah u see but i dont really push my car... i dont race nor try to race anyone on the street.. i know theres people here that do upgrades to the car for better performance but i do it for the looks... and im pretty sure no one has ever seen a rivi on 24s
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 4:33 pm

i understand. everybody mods for different reasons.
here is that video btw. hillarious :lol:

<p>More Car Videos</p>

Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 7:45 pm

Matthew is right about the rims putting more stress on the transmission. You will most likely have a problem with the diff. It is good that you don't drive hard on them, but you still may have trouble on down the line. I am not trying to scare you, but just wanted to let you know to keep an eye on it.

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 9:41 pm

damn!!! see now im doubting..
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 10:48 pm

2toneRivi wrote:
damn!!! see now im doubting..

That's a good thing! Fact is, the drivetrains on these cars are not designed to support huge wheels/tires. You would likely be just fine if you baby your car on the road, but I wonder if even normal driving would cause issues eventually.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2007 11:51 pm

2toneRivi wrote:
^^^^^ lol.. good one.. let see a pic of ur car!!!!

Business before pleasure mate. One of the rules of running a business is "Don't reward yourself too soon." My car will only get maintenance while I'm building my business. There are too many things I need more than rims or mods.

Now a lot of people here have imagined I said something that I did not say. I didn't say "dubs are crap." What I said is that it's better to fix the little problem areas the car has than to trade 22"s for 24"s. Especially if the paint chip is symptomatic of a bad prep job. If so, it's only the beginning. What's better, riding on 24"s with half the paint flaking off your plastic or keeping the 22"s and getting it fixed?

That said, many other people have made good points against 24"s. It's going to strain the transmission, the car will be slower. It won't fix the wheel gap problem. I mean, you upgraded from 16"s to 22"s and you've got just as much wheel gap as I do with the stock rims. If you wanted to get rid of wheel gap you should have went with shorter springs and 18"s. Maybe the shorter springs will work with 22"s, maybe not. I kinda doubt it.

One thing that would make the wheel gap less noticeable is to get the chrome trim around the wheel well painted to match the body. Chrome screams "look at me!" And then you're looking right at that ugly gap.
Back to top Go down
2toneRivi

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2007 3:30 pm

^^^ nah the gap does not bother me.. i brought the gap up.... beacuse people where saying that they where not gonna fit.. the 24s.. so i said well my car still has a big gap... meaning they will fit not meaning i dont like the gap...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!   FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Big Wheels Question.............Will they fit?!
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next