Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FGT supercharger swap project

Go down 
+12
jbird
AA
deekster_caddy
Abaddon
damnjetski
KnottyEagle
stan
charlieRobinson
matt270avian
turtleman
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Finally went to the track last weekend and first ever dyno this weekend thanks to zzp's gathering. I'm filled with glee - doin car things!
I have decent video footage of the track and some lousy clips from saturday I'll put in later but just to kick off, here's the dyno results

FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 PmxByOlHj

I really wish I got there much earlier. There's some solid 380ish hp cars. People know how to build m90 setups these days. I'm guessing no turbo cars unless one or more of these were mild builds so this makes me look like a hero

FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 PniYTbk6j

508hp 526 ft-lb on zzp's mustang dyno 80f outside

I'm trying to resolve what roller speed correlates to what rpm to see what that pull means to the engine. The gear ratio is easy enough to figure but the torque converter doesn't really make a solid coupling so I need to at least know how much slip there is. I'm hoping to get logs from the dyno from tim if he has them saved and that might help some. From the graph, it looks like the dyno pull started already past the peak torque number. Also it's not really rolling over that hard on top end horsepower. I'm not done
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 2:11 pm

There are some decent numbers there, & then there is yours, Outstanding!! bow

Jbird
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 1:47 am

Looks up TEP Stage 2 transmission -

Time for stage 5 TEP!  Quit slackin'!

I think I'm feeling a tinge of jealousy here.

How visible is the FGT supercharger from inside the car?  Would a giant hood scoop block your view?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 2:45 pm

508whp.... Wow. Just. Wow.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 3:29 am

Jack the R wrote:
Looks up TEP Stage 2 transmission -

Time for stage 5 TEP!  Quit slackin'!

It's kinda funny. I had to make a case for myself before when I got some of the rare GMR parts from Paul's contact - presumably because only people making big power need a 1" chain and there's only so many and a max effort M90 build doesn't really require that. My case was that it's a heavier car than a w-body so I needed a little tiny bit more for the same power. I had no plan at the time for making 500+hp with a twin screw blower. Nooow I'm back to having to worry a little bit about it again. The transaxle should hold together but there's no guarantees in this game

Jack the R wrote:
How visible is the FGT supercharger from inside the car?  Would a giant hood scoop block your view?

FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 RBX1bb

If done tactfully, a cowl could be decently unobtrusive. Eventually I'll get to that but that's gonna be something I need real pro help with.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 11:47 pm

Looks like the cowl is going to be pretty tall once you account for clearances.  Maybe you cold do something like the ZR1 hood and have an engine cover that sticks through the hood.  I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result.  Or the first mockup.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 15, 2019 11:16 am

a riviera in a zzp youtube video! It's like the 2000's again
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 15, 2019 2:10 pm

At least there was one, thanks for representin'
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 16, 2019 7:40 pm

Damn dude. Very nice. I'm fuckin envious. thumbsup
Awesome that the turtle got a longer clip than the others. Well deserved.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 12:04 pm

Went back to Great lakes dragway sunday and ticked off that time I wanted  yay

FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 AuAcbB

FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 Y4AS2A

FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 WACa6V
didn't get to spray due to tuning issues and fueling issues. maybe next time

FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 QuZNBF
After spending an hour or so on my laptop trying to get my maf tune straightened out and getting nowhere, I gave up and rolled it back to the old tune that worked.
When I made the first pass, I got maybe to the 330ft and then the engine coughed and all power disappeared. I had no idea what the hell happened until I looked at the log and saw fuel pressure went to zero afraid
I believe I overloaded the MSD fuel pump voltage booster and it just gave up. Or possibly some other electrically related fault. That DW400 sucks a lot of power - more than the booster is rated for when I'm all the way turned up to 22 volt. I didn't feel good about it but I turned it down to 20 volts and went for a second pass. Glad I did!
I got the boost control profile dialed in well enough to pull off a nice 1.8XX 60ft. That makes 11's a lot easier!

Video coming once I get a chance to compile the footage
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 12:12 pm

clap
The CAI's up in the wind look quite radical!

Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 2:12 pm

All that and pretty handwriting too!
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 31, 2019 11:37 pm

video of flop run to hold me over till i get the in-car video of the successful run compiled featuring me doing a burnout with my back tires on the water and the track staff doing a john wayne standoff walk towards me
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2019 11:31 pm

turtleman wrote:

video of flop run to hold me over till i get the in-car video of the successful run compiled featuring me doing a burnout with my back tires on the water and the track staff doing a john wayne standoff walk towards me

Sorry, Don't know what a John Wayne standoff walk is.??? Also didn't hear much English being spoken on that video.
I thought you lived north of the border. Or is it Taboo to say such things these days. Some of my best friends speak 2 languages, so I'm cool.

Impressive dyno runs and your track ticket looks real good for the second run. Can't wait to see that run once you post it.

Also, where did you get that Dayton garage heater from and how much was it.? If you don't mind me askin'.
I installed a propane Mr. Heater 45,000 BTU heater in my garage about 7 years ago and am not happy with it. Not enough heat for the amount of propane it burns in a very well insulated and sheet-rocked garage with a relatively low ceiling. 10 ft. ceiling x 24ft x 30 ft.
Just curious what it cost's to step up to a big boy heater. smile

Thanks for all of it. Your car is amazing. But I know how much time, work and money has gone into it. But it sure looks like fun.

I stopped by the boneyard today that took my Riviera away and it's still there. If I want the complete drivetrain with the front cradle it cost me $500.00 to get it back. Wish I wasn't so F''''''d in the head when I just said the heck with it, take it away for $250.00.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 2:28 pm

Rickw wrote:

Also didn't hear much English being spoken on that video.
I thought you lived north of the border. Or is it Taboo to say such things these days. Some of my best friends speak 2 languages, so I'm cool.

Impressive dyno runs and your track ticket looks real good for the second run. Can't wait to see that run once you post it.

Also, where did you get that Dayton garage heater from and how much was it.? If you don't mind me askin'.
I installed a propane Mr. Heater 45,000 BTU heater in my garage about 7 years ago and am not happy with it. Not enough heat for the amount of propane it burns in a very well insulated and sheet-rocked garage with a relatively low ceiling. 10 ft. ceiling x 24ft x 30 ft.
Just curious what it cost's to step up to a big boy heater. smile

Thanks for all of it. Your car is amazing. But I know how much time, work and money has gone into it. But it sure looks like fun.

I stopped by the boneyard today that took my Riviera away and it's still there. If I want the complete drivetrain with the front cradle it cost me $500.00 to get it back. Wish I wasn't so F''''''d in the head when I just said the heck with it, take it away for $250.00.

All walks of ethnicity around here although I'm pretty sure my friend was the only cambodian there that day. I watched the youtube translation of this speech and it sounded like standard gangster talk dunno

The dayton heater I know nothing about other than it works really nice in the winter. Technically my roommate is a retired hvac guy so he hooked it up. The garage is insulated all over but I can see light between the floor and walls in multiple areas and the concrete floor is going to shit. Still a heated garage though

I've spent money on this car but mostly elective and still nothing close to a car payment and I'm not getting sick of this one and looking to replace it in a matter of a few years when it's not sparkly new anymore. Now I'm just getting some anxiety about the more and more unreplaceable nature of it. If you drive around in a honda crv and somebody t-bones you and totals it, you get a check, go to a dealership and get another one that's as good or better. In a now antique riv, the money you get, if you bother with coverage, doesn't really help you find another worthwhile replacement.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 2:54 pm

I hear you about replacing the Riv. I thought the 5th gen Regal GS was a possibility, but they're holding value a little too well. After that, maybe the Mercury Grand Marquis? There should never be a shortage of Panther platform parts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FGT supercharger swap project   FGT supercharger swap project - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

FGT supercharger swap project
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5