Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Old Cars vs. New

Go down 
+19
Sweepspear
ibmoses
deekster_caddy
robotennis61
IBx1
Boattail Bill
BMD
Shintsu
jimmyriv
SpaceBar
97rivman
1998 Riv
T Riley
Jack the R
racinfan
NO 4 EVR
jax95riv
AA
Andysdorm
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

Old Cars vs. New - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Cars vs. New   Old Cars vs. New - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 8:44 pm

I'm not bashing anyone. You posted a lot of info that was totally based on opinion and not on factual information, and I was just clarifying. I really don't care if you like musclecars or not, but I was surprised that on a domestic automotive forum that there would be more respect for them. You obviously don't enjoy working on cars or you would appreciate the potential for performance that these cars have. Thats fine, you seem to be more concerned about where to locate you Star Wars stickers.

Last edited by BMD on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Old Cars vs. New   Old Cars vs. New - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 8:47 pm

My dad had a 1970 Mach 1, grabber green. It's one of the best shapes I've ever seen given to a car, it could smoke many cars today(351 Cleveland motor, not Windsor), and it could do a real burnout. The tires never squealed, just hissed, and you had to let off the gas to start going forward.

And for Christ's sake, that Audi V10 sounds like a bored cheeta farting, stop reminding us of how soulless and industrial they are.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Old Cars vs. New   Old Cars vs. New - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 am

I love the looks of all the old cars, 60's, 50's, 40's, 30's, etc.

The mopar muscle cars can be made to perform well in all areas, mostly with cheap old parts. The reason why the stock braking and handling on these cars is as bad as it is isn't because the engineers didn't know how to do better, it's because the tires of the time were abysmal. Why build a car with more suspension and braking than the tires can handle? If you retune the suspension for modern tires, and put on bigger brakes ( 12" front rotors off an old C body will work on my Charger. Most 8th gen Riv's don't have 12" rotors), the Charger will brake and handle like a late 90's BMW. At least, that's what my suspension rebuild manual says wink So, no need to turn to new parts, but if it's o.k. to swap 14" CTS-V brakes onto an old Riv what's wrong with putting an aftermarket 14" brake kit on a Charger?

Here's a 68 Charger doing surprisingly well in AutoX vs the Lamborghini Gallardo -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9xM-UM-vhw

Here's a 68 Charger laying waste to a Gallardo at the drag strip -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UfWo1YD_oE

My 72 with the small 318, 4 barrel carb and edelbrock intake felt about as peppy as the Riv. I'm guessing it weighs 2-400 lbs less, with 100 less horsepower but about 80 lb/ft more torque. But if you want you cold put in a twin turbo 500+ cid block with race proven components all the way around. There are very few modern cars this is true for. It can be done with most all muscle cars.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Old Cars vs. New   Old Cars vs. New - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 12:24 am

BMD wrote:
I'm not bashing anyone. You posted a lot of info that was totally based on opinion and not on factual information, and I was just clarifying. I really don't care if you like musclecars or not, but I was surprised that on an domestic automotive forum that there would be more respect for them. You obviously don't enjoy working on cars or you would appreciate the potential for performance that these cars have. Thats fine, you seem to be more concerned about where to locate you Star Wars stickers.
Ho ho, right. It's opinion that they don't post specs anywhere close to what cars today do. Is it also my opinion that they can't compete with new cars handling wise either? You want to tell me a Gran Torino even has half a chance at handling with most cars today? I have a friend who bought an old clunker '74 Gran Torino with a 400 in it, he said it himself that it sounded cool but wasn't too fast. Stuff was all broke on it like the fuel gauge, temp gauge, speedo. Not sure but I think the mileage was about 74k on it when he bought it. Kinda a reason old cars were five digit odometers - they're such shit they'd never last more than 99,999 as a general. And it's funny that Kias actually have had six digit odometers considering the cheap quality of their initial cars.

...no, I don't like working on cars. If I did I'd trade my car for a Ford. My dad works on his stupid truck that breaks down enough. No thanks. I like cars you get in, start, and drive. If you're doing work to them it's because you want to not because you need to. But with muscle cars they need work because they're just unreliable. Carburetted cars don't ever want to start right and they're way more prone to quitting and doing general stupid shit. THEY'RE OLD. OLD = OUTDATED. OLD ≠ BETTER. I'll accept rarities like the Cobra 427 but even by todays standards if it was built brand new today the car would do 0-60 in 3 seconds and be might better built.

Performance potential...you want to see performance potential? Here it is