Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads

Go down 
+58
RidzRiv
al_roethlisberger
matt270avian
sniperdude
69GSColorado
joshuadalegrimes
MrWood88
charlieRobinson
nothincame2mind
gmann3001
J. Chris Davis
pj_rage
Abaddon
robotennis61
Jayrydingslab
flyineagle96
Hometown Hero
Derek
Fuzzy
EatDirtFartDust
GMfan1111
Snowdog
blackbart95
Jack the R
Eldo
IBx1
Its a car part now
lyonsperformance
1995 Riv
Rickw
manofmany
captshiner
Turbocharged400sbc
98SuperRiv
Buapo
palermocorey90
ewolfe0050
albertj
deekster_caddy
T Riley
99Rivman
RhinoFLA
allfalldown
dreww
Face
SpaceBar
HirohataMerc
robertwolf86
turtleman
98riv
racinfan
TType_Riviera
urbsnspices
duffy
NO 4 EVR
Mr.Riviera
jax95riv
AA
62 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
blackbart95
Enthusiast
blackbart95

Name : Mark
Merit : 3

FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads   FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads - Page 8 EmptySat May 16, 2009 5:08 pm

I've used EBC dimpled/slotted rotors and EBC Ultimax pads front and rear for over 40k miles. I had to replace the fronts after about 30k miles. Great brakes. I'd never go back to stock type rotors or pads. I live in the mountains and have many steep grades to pass over on my 150 mile/day commute.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads   FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads - Page 8 EmptyMon May 18, 2009 12:54 am

Matthew, I've decided to keep the HP Plus pads for full time duty. I want to see what happens to my rotors when using a more abrasive pad compound. HPS are yours if you want them. I'll send you a PM soon with pics, and can discuss price.

The more I experiment with changing pad compounds, the more I feel they make more of a difference than the rotors or the F-Body calipers. It's true the F-Bodies provide a larger pad surface, and I think that helps to deal with heat and makes the pads wear longer, but I think most of the increased stopping power I saw in the beginning came from swapping to Hawk HPS pads vs. ceramics.

The HP Plus pads I just installed provide an even higher level of stopping power, so can only imagine what would happen with all-out race pads. Not saying the F-Body brake mod isn't worth it, but there is some argument for keeping the stock calipers and just upgrading the pads. I think you would stop just as quickly. The real benefit of the F-Body mod seems to be heat management and increased pad life, imo.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads   FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads - Page 8 EmptySun May 24, 2009 12:00 pm

Recently installed Royalty slotted & drilled rotors, which have a lifetime warranty against warping and cracking. I also have the F-Body calipers:

FAQ: Brake Rotors and Pads - Page 8 RoyaltyRotor

For pads I chose Hawk HP Plus. These are noisy and a bit dusty, but they do what they claim: a plus over Hawk's HPS street compound. I've changed by preference from clean and quiet to all-out performance. I want to be able to stop on a dime, and do it all day without harming the system. These pads certainly stop well, hoping they will last.

Here's some video from last night. I admit, it doesn't look to be braking that fast, but this is the quickest my car has ever slowed from high speed. I think I was decelerating faster than the needle showed, because you can hear the seat fall back while the needle is still moving down: