Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)

Go down 
+42
zip_tie
th3fr4nchi5e
RidzRiv
DaveE_95Riv
MFFDVR
LT1Squirrel
2000ws6transam
96riv
LARRY70GS
rk0ehn
98riv
charlieRobinson
Sweepspear
Abaddon
J. Chris Davis
rivman96
GMFreak8
Vista Cruiser
Eldo
robotennis61
99Rivman
Rickw
1998 Riv
Natesriv
curious riv
T Riley
EASHER
turtleman
oldsman105
dreww
arttu80
BillBoost37
Buickman104
AA
deekster_caddy
albertj
Mr.Riviera
mr.19982tone
RhinoFLA
TonySmooth89
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
AuthorMessage
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

Name : Bryson
Merit : 1

FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Boost problem?   FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 12 EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 7:22 pm

Hi guys, so I was experimenting something, and I am running about 3 psi of boost, then if I unplug the vacuum line from the bypass actuator to the bypass solenoid, I get 7psi, is my boost solenoid going out?
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 12 EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Yes. Replace it.

Fanatic
bmcd9179

Name : Bryson
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 12 EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 1:19 am

Ok sweet, that's the last thing then, thanks
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 12 EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 3:50 am

What are you guys considering the bypass "solenoid" ? isn't it just a mechanical vacuum actuated system?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 12 EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 10:52 am

96_Juggernaut wrote:
What are you guys considering the bypass "solenoid" ? isn't it just a mechanical vacuum actuated system?

Yes and no. It's actually an ON/OFF that's PCM controlled. Ever notice the 2 wire plug that connects to it? The PCM commands it ON/OFF based on Reverse/Drive. The vacuum side of it controls Boost Ramp Rate and what-not. If it's electrically shorted "open", you'll get very little boost from the vacuum control of it.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 12 EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 11:15 am

(though you can make it only vaccum controlled if you bypass it like the image I linked. it will still function and bypass as normal. the only thing it won't do is briefly drop boost at shifts for transmission protection. The drop is only a fraction of a second, but aparently makes a difference. also the whold boosting in reverse thing. having the proper thing in there is the best thing, this was just an FYI.)

Name : Will
Merit : 0

PostSubject: BBV / Boost Control question   FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 12 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2014 11:33 pm

I'm not sure which one is which in this scenario. I believe the BBV is the part with the enclosed diaphragm and the arm that comes out the bottom that goes up and down depending on throttle. Anyway, what is the normal operation of this diaphragm/arm? With the car parked and idling (95 Riv), when I give it a very large amount of throttle, the arm will come down but immediately go back up. Isn't it supposed to stay down? Also, I've listened to youtube videos of these cars running and they have a very loud tell tale whine which I don't really hear on mine. Am I not making boost? I just replaced the coupler and oil in mine, and used a new SC gasket and whatnot. All vacuumm lines are intact and I replaced the questionable ones, and they are all hooked up properly. Any help would be appreciated...
Back to top Go down
billfrank85

Name : Will
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 12 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2014 11:38 pm

And yes my CEL is on, I'm actually getting those checked out tomorrow since I have to drive to a shop that can do OBD 1.5. I just wouldn't think an electrical issue would cause my car to "sound" like there is no boost unless the BCS is truly dead...
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 12 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 2:14 am

billfrank85 wrote:
when I give it a very large amount of throttle, the arm will come down but immediately go back up.

That is normal. When you give it throttle really fast, it initially plunges down (closing the boost bypass valve) but then when rpm and vacuum reach a regulated state again just a moment after you push the throttle down, it'll go back up because there's no load on the engine to let you get far into throttle without just over-reving. So you won't get it to stay down in boost mode unless you have load on the engine and can hold some real throttle basically.
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 12 EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 8:29 pm

I originally replaced my boost control solenoid with a working used unit from a junk yard. That one is now reading zero ohms and I am looking for a new one. I don't see any for the 95 riv, but can the bracket be used from the 95 bcs to make a 96+ bcs work?
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 12 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 8:21 pm

I posted this question awhile ago, but does anyone know if a series 2 boost control solenoid can be fitted to the series 1 using the old bracket? I cannot find a boost control solenoid for the series 1 anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)   FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost) - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)
Page 12 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12