Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

95 Riviera Destroyed last night

Go down 
+33
Rickw
ibmoses
robotennis61
captshiner
1998 Riv
Shintsu
Supercharged
palermocorey90
vendetta
98RIV7777
1wickedninja
Boattail Bill
BoattailBob
Snowdog
whit2285
TypetoHarry
manofmany
TonySmooth89
deekster_caddy
Jack the R
albertj
millerje18
Mr.Riviera
curious riv
IBx1
Sweepspear
T Riley
Andysdorm
1995 Riv
AA
xxxneeduwhenicry
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Yeah, the only safety feature old cars really had was lots of metal...but that doesn't do much good without seatbelts.
Back to top Go down
xxxneeduwhenicry
Fanatic
xxxneeduwhenicry

Name : Kelly
Merit : -3

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 9:29 pm

seatbelts arent rele important to me, i wont wear one even after the accident becuz from my eyes i think there a bunch of bull....and i no all the blah blah blah they could save your life crap but personally i could care less about em
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 9:47 pm

FWIW, my own mother would be alive today if she had worn seat belts... her injuries were a direct result of having no restraints.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 10:08 pm

Hmmm....

Kelly, I've walked away from two pretty serious accidents (one a total) in part due to wearing seat belts.

The seat belts are not so much about you and your driving as much as they are about other drivers whacking your car.

Weren't you the one who rolled a Riviera? You were or were not wearing belts? Do tell.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 11:15 pm

xxxneeduwhenicry wrote:
seatbelts arent rele important to me, i wont wear one even after the accident becuz from my eyes i think there a bunch of bull....and i no all the blah blah blah they could save your life crap but personally i could care less about em

Well it was nice knowin' ya headshot
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 12:02 am

Really, not wearing seatbelts you'll get no sympathy from me. When people die on Cops and those police chase videos it's always because they're not wearing a seatbelt. They didn't come up with them just to annoy you, although personally I can't drive a car without a seatbelt. It feels wrong, and uncomfortable to me.

There is so much statistical evidence showing how seatbelts alone save lives and then when combined with airbags. Here in KY it's a law, you must wear a seatbelt and can be pulled over just for not wearing one. Sounds more like you're suicidal to me. A disregard of proven fact of something that saves your life tends to indicate you don't care about living. Just my high school psychology class opinion.
Back to top Go down
xxxneeduwhenicry
Fanatic
xxxneeduwhenicry

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 12:21 am

ive never to this day worn a seatbelt even after the car accidents ive been in and prolly never will, and in PA its illegal to not wear a seatbelt also and u can get pulled over just for not wearing it....ive paid prolly almost $500 total in seatbelt fines since i got my license a year ago....and im sure someday ill prolly die from a car accident but its just my own personal philosophy not to wear one
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 7:39 am

bonehead
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 7:49 am

I believe insurance companies should not pay a dime in medical bills related to an accident where the injured was not wearing a seat belt. That's how important seat belts are. You are really really dumb not to wear one. What was that about scars all over your face in the pictures thread?
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 8:01 am

xxxneeduwhenicry wrote:

No offense but I hope you are not planning on birthing any babies... drunk

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 8:09 am

I think the choice should be left up to the individual, not the government or state.
With that said, I choose to wear my seat belt.

I believe the same choice should be up to the individual regarding wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle, and again I now choose to ride with one on. But there are some roads and rides where I would rather not.
Back to top Go down
xxxneeduwhenicry
Fanatic
xxxneeduwhenicry

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 12:37 pm

uhh a seatbelt had nothing to do with the scars on my face....a seatbelt isnt goin to protect you from glass shattering out of every window, with that said all a seatbelt really helps you from doing is going thru the windshield and hmm i had no problems there cuz the windshield came to me instead lol
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 12:56 pm

The seatbelt also keeps you in the right place for the airbags to protect you the way they are designed. An awful lot of research has been put into making seat belts and airbags work to cut down on injuries during accidents. Are you saying all that research draws the wrong conclusions?
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 3:09 pm

All safety designs aside, I'd just wear the seatbelt and keep the 500 bucks in seatbelt fines...

Expert

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 3:16 pm

Yeah, but you know. Seatbelts are so like dumb and stuff. Totally uncomfortable and like, don't work or do anything. Totally a drag...rolleyes
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 6:26 pm

like totally! bogus to the max! like...knarly bonds of society man!..like the govts way of ...you know..like..uhh.. fuhhh! ya know what i mean?
Back to top Go down
zombiesarebad
zombiesarebad

Name : Brian
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 8:29 pm

here in Maine seatbelts are the law also. I agree with Rickw though that people should be able to decide whether or not they want to wear them.

Just to relate a story (since that's what i love to do)... my father used to contract for the Maine state police as a ramptruck driver and I worked for him, so I often went to wrecks and helped with cleanup and getting the car on and all that. I NEVER go ANYWHERE without a seatbelt on since this one very bad accident where an Acura hit a delivery van. We didn't know there was a passenger until over an hour later when we went looking for the engine of the car (yes, the accident was that bad) and found her out in the woods about twenty feet past the tree-line. She didn't make it needless to say, but the driver who was wearing his as far as i know did survive.
Back to top Go down
xxxneeduwhenicry
Fanatic
xxxneeduwhenicry

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 11:31 pm

well whether i had worn my seatbelt or not in my accident it wouldnt of mattered anyway because the airbags didnt work right to begin with...and personally i think they should make the airbags out of something a little more comfortable so it doesnt feel like ur getting ur face smashed in with a brick....and i do think seatbelts are stupid and very uncomfortable and theres nothing that any of u can say thats goin to change my mind about them (stubborn i no)
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 11:42 pm

Kelly, there's stubborn and then there's ignorant. What would your parents say about you not using a seatbelt?

Airbags have to be strong enough to cushion you from the damage of the rest of the car. While getting hit with an airbag may sting and hurt for awhile, it is as opposed to having broken bones or getting cut open by pieces of metal from the car. If the airbag was softer or smaller it wouldn't protect as well. As far as I know, the airbag won't go off unless you trigger the sensor in the front of the car. I haven't been in an accident to trigger an airbag so I can't say for certain I know what all triggers it.

The opinion is unanimous here and would be anywhere else smart folks are, wearing a seat belt is wise and not wearing one is completely idiotic. If you choose not to wear a seat belt and continue to pay fines for asinine reasons (How dare the police try to keep you from getting hurt by enforcing the seat belt law rolleyes), and you become paralysed because you flew out the window and hit a tree and broke your back don't act like on one told you. You'll be fine most of the time without one, but that one time you get in a wreck and don't have one...well the best of luck to you. Why anyone would gamble with their life in such a manner, I'll never understand...
Back to top Go down
xxxneeduwhenicry
Fanatic
xxxneeduwhenicry

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 12:03 am

yes i guess u could say im also ignorant, and my mother is well aware of the fact that i do not and wont wear a seatbelt and she also agree's that it is my own personal choice...she has never once worn a seatbelt and has been in alot of wrecks in her day and look at her still living...and i will gamble with my life in such a manner because ive already been there i went over a bank and into a bunch of tree's and look at me still breathing with minimal damage with no help from the airbag...the airbag only went off after my head was bashed off the steering wheel a few good times and all it did for me was leave a welt on my face....and even with a seatbelt it wouldnt of stopped me from slamming my head off the steering wheel
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 12:09 am

Maybe if you didn't roll your car in the first place you would be fine lol
Back to top Go down
xxxneeduwhenicry
Fanatic
xxxneeduwhenicry

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 12:40 am

its hard to control a vehicle that u have no control over because the front end broke
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 12:46 am

Hmm, parents set the bad role model. Society is a lost cause when parents can't teach their kids good habits because they're too foolish to follow them. And they want to cry when their kids die...their own god damn fault.
Back to top Go down
xxxneeduwhenicry
Fanatic
xxxneeduwhenicry

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 1:09 am

Shintsu why dont u just shove it up ur ass already, u talk just to listen to yourself becuz sure as shyt nobody else wants to hear it, ur like some sort of genious right who no's EVERYTHING about everybody right....whats best for you might not be whats best for everybody else did u ever think of that....never once have i started a thread that u havent bashed on in some way so how bout from now on u just keep ur trap shut cuz im sure as hell sick of hearing ur bull
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 1:22 am

xxxneeduwhenicry wrote:
yes i guess u could say im also ignorant, and my mother is well aware of the fact that i do not and wont wear a seatbelt and she also agree's that it is my own personal choice...she has never once worn a seatbelt and has been in alot of wrecks in her day and look at her still living...and i will gamble with my life in such a manner because ive already been there i went over a bank and into a bunch of tree's and look at me still breathing with minimal damage with no help from the airbag...the airbag only went off after my head was bashed off the steering wheel a few good times and all it did for me was leave a welt on my face....and even with a seatbelt it wouldnt of stopped me from slamming my head off the steering wheel

This is a note for those of you reading this thread. Kelly's welcome to it, but since she's already decided not to wear a seat belt I don't expect her to read it.

The high rigidity of the Riviera is unique among cars on the road in the 1990's - and explains the outcome Kelly had. It is almost certain that the seatbelt would have reduced Kelly's bouncing around the car's cabin - stuff happens pretty fast in a collision - and depending on the car's motion it would have kept her away from the steering wheel, gearshift lever, and other firmly fixed objects there.

The thing of it is, if you are in an accident in which you're out of control but the the car is not colliding with anything massive enough to change its velocity sufficiently, you will be injured a lot more without a seat belt than with one. One reason is that with the belt, your body is held away from objects in the car - such as the steering wheel - because again without enough of a velocity change the airbags wil not deploy. If you had been Kelly in this case, you would observe that that the airbag is not going to fire just because you are bashing into the steering wheel. (If it did that, every time somebody got angry and mashed their horn, their airbags would fire. ) And it is likely Kelly got the welt from the airbag because Kelly was not held away from it by the seatbelt. When the bags fire they hit really hard - hence the welt.

I would not call Kelly ignorant nor stupid - rather, I'd just say she's drawing a conclusion from her and her mother's experience that seems contrary to the experiences of many, many other drivers and their survivors, and probably erroneously assumes that future accidents will be like the past ones. Which could be a fatal error, and isn't what I'd choose for myself.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 95 Riviera Destroyed last night   95 Riviera Destroyed last night - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

95 Riviera Destroyed last night
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next