Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement

Go down 
+39
mn2320
Abaddon
Yoss
DEMonte1997
71gsx455-4spd
pbrktrt
robotennis61
mike97
Crashtestdummy
Northeast
Mikel
98inSFl
akh
Eldo
Snowdog
playa
96Super
albertj
LARRY70GS
T Riley
Jack the R
turtleman
BMD
sburch23
AA
95 super3800
SToP
Rickw
dscott2000
hotrod58
manofmany
deekster_caddy
98SuperRiv
ewolfe0050
robertwolf86
TType_Riviera
dreww
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 8:58 pm

I hate people that think they are so smart
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 8:59 pm

Ме тоо
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 9:08 pm

well,,, that escalated quickly..

Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Charlie, who did you order that pump from (I'm assuming ZZP?), did you need to replace that corrugated hose, and what brand gasket/lock ring did you get from RockAuto? I'm looking at the Dorman one (Part #579054). Any other tips/tricks I need to know before I pull the plug and order everything?
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 9:13 am

The AEM E85? I think I got it off Amazon. No, definitely use the corrugated hose. It's a surprising easy install.

Not sure what brand but def get that lock ring and gasket.

if you havent pulled your pump before, the current condition of your lock ring will be a present you will unwrap. Hopefully you get a good one and not a headache like mine was.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 9:30 am

Would you mind pulling up your orders please? Amazon shows 3 different E85 pumps (1200, 1205, and 1210).
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 9:59 am

This is the one I am using. I believe sir psycho is using the same.

http://www.amazon.com/AEM-50-1200-In-Tank-Fuel-Pump/dp/B00DQ73NO4

Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 2:06 pm

Oh boy...

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 Screen10
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 2:19 pm

dude, youre going to absolutely love it. weightless intercooler. god fuel, srsly. I still cannot make 1 degree of KR.

make sure you get the fuel tank gasket too. Mine seemed fine but the book says to replace it.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 2:25 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
dude, youre going to absolutely love it. weightless intercooler. god fuel, srsly. I still cannot make 1 degree of KR.

make sure you get the fuel tank gasket too. Mine seemed fine but the book says to replace it.

According to RockAuto this one comes with the O ring. Hopefully it will even though I ordered from Amazon...
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 2:28 pm

matt270avian wrote:

charlieRobinson wrote:

According to RockAuto this one comes with the O ring. Hopefully it will even though I ordered from Amazon...

Nice! I followed this http://www.intense-racing.com/walbroinstall.shtml and it worked perfectly. Prying the nippled out of the old pump sucks but I wouldnt have known to do that if it werent for that write up.

I have had 0 issues so far, even before I replaced my fuel filter. I didnt chop it in half to see what was inside but I wish I wouldve..
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 2:51 pm

I took everything out in preparation for when the rest of the parts come on Monday. Problem is I don't have that center line like everyone else does. What do?

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 2015-019

EDIT:

What does this little black wire go to? The instructions acknowledge it and say not to cut it off, but don't say what to attach it to (if anything).

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 2015-020
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 5:10 pm

I didnt have center line either. No idea about it.

Not sure about black line on pump either. maybe a remote switch or something?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 5:12 pm

I take it yours didn't have that line on the pump?

After a bit of searching I found somebody else who contacted AEM and they said to just let it dangle... Weird.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 11:15 pm

yes, mine had that line. Just tucked it away in a safe lil spot.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 4:44 pm

Got mine done today. Install went pretty straightforward, no major issues. My lock ring took a bit of persuasion to come off, but it only took around 15 minutes. Car starts and runs smooth, going to double check my fuel trims and adjust accordingly.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 8:55 pm

are you full of corn juice? did you change your cylinder gain table?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 9:03 pm

Not yet, waiting on injectors to do the swap.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 4:59 pm

So my car doesn't like to idle unless it's been running for awhile. I bumped up the timing and idle RPM which made no difference at all. On a fresh start it will die down to about 500 RPM for a second or two and then stall altogether. After it's been running/driven for a little while it will idle just fine, no problems. If I just give it a little gas and hold it the idle will raise and hold steady, and normal/hard driving is just fine. Fuel trims aren't perfect but it has idled better with worse. Voltage is about 13.5 during normal driving and idling which seems low to me, drops into the 11s/12s when the idle drops to 500 and it dies. Ideas? I'm thinking of trying the voltage booster mod...

Edit: Pulled out my IAC and found this:

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 2015-025

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 K3nm7710

Slapped in a new one and it's all better now.
Back to top Go down
gojo83

Name : Greg
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 4:17 pm

went to the JY and they have a 97 aurora, they say that the fp only works for an NA riv can anyone shed light on this. would it work on a SC car. the pump just gave up the ghost fully last night.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 4:19 pm

Just get a new pump. It's a little more expensive but it's a job you only want to do once and have it done right.
Back to top Go down
gojo83

Name : Greg
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 4:44 pm

Ya I am sending ractronix an email that hopefully I can get it done this weekend and I can go back to driving it and run it down the track in 2 weeks and see what the rockers and porting and such does. it feels stronger when it runs.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 7:08 pm

AEM E85 pump died for the second time yesterday.

Last time it did this I had to get a tow home. i pulled it and put a 12v power source on it, it whirled.., i put it back in the car, it worked fine like nothing ever happened to it.. ???

This time, same thing (I was home, thankfully). Key on, no pump prime sounds. I did the same thing as last time. test power to pump, CHECK. pulled pump and gave it power. NOTHING.

So I think it's finally dead.

scratch
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 8:27 pm

Maybe put 12v directly to it with an old DC power supply or something? Mine's been working beautifully aside from not liking to pick up the last 1/8th or so of fuel. Did you try the old pump and see if it's working?
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 10:15 pm

matt270avian wrote:
Maybe put 12v directly to it with an old DC power supply or something? Mine's been working beautifully aside from not liking to pick up the last 1/8th or so of fuel. Did you try the old pump and see if it's working?

I tested the module. Pulled the pump out and tested it and it worked fine.

Wired it back up and the Riv is running again. 2nd time this has happened no idea why. everything is perfect when i pull it and dissect it. drunk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next