Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement

Go down 
+39
mn2320
Abaddon
Yoss
DEMonte1997
71gsx455-4spd
pbrktrt
robotennis61
mike97
Crashtestdummy
Northeast
Mikel
98inSFl
akh
Eldo
Snowdog
playa
96Super
albertj
LARRY70GS
T Riley
Jack the R
turtleman
BMD
sburch23
AA
95 super3800
SToP
Rickw
dscott2000
hotrod58
manofmany
deekster_caddy
98SuperRiv
ewolfe0050
robertwolf86
TType_Riviera
dreww
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: fuel pump WU2   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 2:31 am

Rickw wrote:
Brian,
What year is your car and is it Supercharged.?
This makes a difference on pump selection as well as installation procedure.

You need to fill out your signature so we can better help you.
just look at the FAQ's for instructions on how to fill out that info also.

Definitely!

I have a writeup I haven't done yet, but here are a few photos of a '97 supercharged/VIN-1/MU35 fuel pump module...

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 4415783575_aa8114219d

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 4416550392_938efd41b6

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 4415783509_f28d2cbdaa

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 4415783535_92c5679870

Last edited by Eldo on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mikel
Enthusiast

Name : Mikel
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptySat May 29, 2010 8:39 am

Mine also had slop in the shaft and the contacts were no longer touching the rheostat. I added a bit of preload by bending the shaft and it appears to work!
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptySun May 30, 2010 2:51 am

Mikel wrote:
Mine also had slop in the shaft and the contacts were no longer touching the rheostat. I added a bit of preload by bending the shaft and it appears to work!

thumbsup
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 2:52 pm

Alright, I got the pump and I'm going to install it here in about 30 minutes. Came with a new harness as well.

One thing that seems different is that it has a rubber sleeve instead of that flimsy rubber gasket I got with the last pump. This thing won't distort or move out of it's place. If I'm wrong thinking the other pump didn't have this, I'll update.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 2:55 pm

I don't think we have a fuel pump write-up yet, if you should happen to take some pics...

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Well I've taken pictures up to this point.

Just realized the electrical connections are different. Hmmm..

EDIT: According to them the connectors are different and are suppose to be replaced. Off to do a small bit of wiring.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 4:28 pm

I got it installed. Couldn't use the rubber grommet. Hole isn't big enough.

It does work fine and is whine free, but my guess gauge is showing 1/4 more than it was showing with the last pump. Should I go fill up and see how much it holds to see if the new one is inaccurate?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 4:44 pm

manofmany wrote:
I got it installed. Couldn't use the rubber grommet. Hole isn't big enough.

It does work fine and is whine free, but my guess gauge is showing 1/4 more than it was showing with the last pump. Should I go fill up and see how much it holds to see if the new one is inaccurate?

"Guess" gauge. lmfao

LOL! lmfao jump rotf

That's funny.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 4:49 pm

LOL that was not intentional but definitely is fitting.

Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 5:19 pm

It's definitely off. I'm going to try switching out the float with the old one after dinner.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Update:

I changed out the float and initially got the same reading. Began driving home and the level slowly began dropping after going WOT. It dropped to a notch over half. Went to the gas station and it clicked off at 9.4 gallons. Seems like it may be accurate.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 1:22 pm

manofmany wrote:
Update:

I changed out the float and initially got the same reading. Began driving home and the level slowly began dropping after going WOT. It dropped to a notch over half. Went to the gas station and it clicked off at 9.4 gallons. Seems like it may be accurate.

Have you had a chance to refuel & check the accuracy? From my own experience, both senders are probably fine, it's just the slight variation between units and it takes a little bending of the float arm to fine-tune it...
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Eldo wrote:
manofmany wrote:
Update:

Have you had a chance to refuel & check the accuracy? From my own experience, both senders are probably fine, it's just the slight variation between units and it takes a little bending of the float arm to fine-tune it...

I've put 600 miles on the car since the install. As I mentioned, I did change out the float with the old one. It's 100% accurate according to my calculations.

I did order a new rubber seal which is going on possibly today. Otherwise, doesn't seem like a bad deal for $58!

EDIT: I do have several pictures that I will try to get together one day when I've got time for a write-up.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Here we go. Not sure if you can consider this a write-up, but if it's helps somebody, I'm happy!

Tools Needed:

7mm socket
Flat head screwdriver
Large pry bar and hammer (optional)
Wire stripper

Parts Needed:

Fuel Pump (Pump in the pictures purchased from Ebay seller radiatorclassic for $58+shipping for a 1997 3800 SC)
New locking ring (optional) Part #25691383
New pump seal (Necessary) Part #25028682

Depending on the pump you get, you may or may not have to rewire a new plug. I had to. Also, some pumps come with a new seal and some don't. The seal that came with my last Airtex pump was too flimsy and would deform as the locking ring was locked into place. I STRONGLY advise purchasing an OE seal using the part number above. It's $5 from Rockauto or about $9 from a dealer.

The locking ring should be replaced if it's in terrible condition. My OE ring 2 years ago was not reusable. It's just over $2 on Rockauto using the above part number.

New Pump. Notice the black rubber grommet. Unfortunately, this will not work with our tank and will need to be removed. I would prefer something such as this to the standard rubber o-ring.

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 Img1183r

Red Arrow marks the location of the fuel pump access panel. Passenger side front trunk area.

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 Img1184jf

Here you can see the access panel. It is secured with 5 7mm screws. After loosening them, it may be necessary to use a flat head screwdriver to separate the panel from the trunk.

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 Img1185z

The old pump. The red arrow points to a blue plastic piece that needs to be removed so you can remove the electric plug. It should pull right up. You may be able to press down on the pump and get the ring off by hand. If not, first try pushing with a flat head screwdriver. In my case, I had to use a bar and a hammer to knock it loose. Use caution if this needs to be done.

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 Img1186xz

Here you can see the locking ring dislodged and two fuel lines still attached. I personally remove the gas cap and under the hood and beauty cover, there is a shrader valve on the front fuel rail. I use a paper towel and small screwdriver to press that in to relieve fuel pressure. One pressure is relieved, you can procede to squeeze the quick-disconnects and remove the fuel lines. Wipe up any spillage.

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 Img1187pu

Old pump removed. You can see the slight differences. In my case, I had to switch floats. The float is long metal arm with the plastic float. If you place your finger in between the 2 clips securing it, you should be able to pull it right out. It goes back on the same way. Just press it on.

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 Img1188jf

Locking ring

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 Img1189ei

Here you can see the difference in the two plugs.

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 Img1190pwq

Rewired. Very simple. There are two thicker wires and two thinner wires. Simply color-match and rewire them. If your pump comes with a new plug, it should include everything you need. Trim back the sheathing if need be and replace.

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 Img1191bg

Installation is reverse of removal.
Back to top Go down
Northeast

Name :
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 11:39 am

manofmany wrote:

Tools Needed:

Fuel Pump (Pump in the pictures purchased from Ebay seller radiatorclassic for $58+shipping for a 1997 3800 SC)

Whats is the brand/model # of that pump?
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. There were no markings on it. Aside from switching out the floats, it's working great.
Back to top Go down
Crashtestdummy
Rookie

Name : Nelson Kent
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Fuel Sender Unit Replacement for 1995 Riv = ?   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 10:57 pm

Can someone on the forum comment on the fuel sender unit for the 1995 S/C Riv?

My fuel gage moves down very slowly to reading a little more 3/4 of a tank when, based on known MPG and miles traveled, the tank is actually about 40% fuel.

I suspect that the sending unit is the problem and I would like to replace it.

To that end,

1. Can someone tell me if there is access to the fuel pump throught the trunk as noted for the 1998 and 1999 models as referenced elsewhere in this forum?

2. Any recommendations on where to get a replacement fuel sender unit and about how much one might cost?

Thanks for the help!

Love my Riv!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 9:11 am

See this write-up for Series I SC. It should answer your questions:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t2918-write-up-walbro-255-lph-fuel-pump-series-i

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
mike97
Rookie

Name : mike

PostSubject: fuel tank   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 3:37 pm

has anyone come across a repair for replacing rusted away tank lock ring tabs?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 3:55 pm

mike97 wrote:
has anyone come across a repair for replacing rusted away tank lock ring tabs?

ask BigRay.He found a way.
Back to top Go down
mike97
Rookie

Name : mike

PostSubject: fuel tank info ?   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 9:22 pm

I've been searching for a tank to replace mine with lock tab rusted out. I have found some tanks along with some very conflicting and confusing info.
all I wanted to know was which years and model used the same tank as my SC-97, not tough, you'd think. I called all four local dealers, 10+ salvage yards,
parts places and GM buick customer services. what I got was a combination of more than eight different answers- and a slight headache. take a look.
97 - riv only
97 - SC riv
97 - 99 riv
95 - 99 riv
97 - 99 riv, aurora
97 - riv, aurora, park ave
97 - 05 park ave
97 - 05 park ave ultra
I won't mention the pontiac's. I would stick to SC- 97 but there rare here (non rust) or long distance.
can anyone help me out with some first hand info or know where I can get it.
Back to top Go down
pbrktrt
Enthusiast

Name : patrick gervais

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 6:40 am

The 97 Riviera, Park Ave., and Aurora used the same fuel tank.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 8:39 am

Replacing the tank is a big job. A friend of mine used 4 stainless self tapping screws and washers to hold the pump ring down. he used some sealer, and screwed them into the plastic tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 12:50 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
Replacing the tank is a big job. A friend of mine used 4 stainless self tapping screws and washers to hold the pump ring down. he used some sealer, and screwed them into the plastic tank.

great idea. What's the worst you can do - ruin the tank?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 1:00 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:

great idea. What's the worst you can do - ruin the tank?

Worked like a charm for my friend. In fact he sold the car to a member on this board. Forget who it is. Car was from Monroe, CT, and was black. I want to say it is DEMonte1997 , but I'm not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next