Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement

Go down 
+39
mn2320
Abaddon
Yoss
DEMonte1997
71gsx455-4spd
pbrktrt
robotennis61
mike97
Crashtestdummy
Northeast
Mikel
98inSFl
akh
Eldo
Snowdog
playa
96Super
albertj
LARRY70GS
T Riley
Jack the R
turtleman
BMD
sburch23
AA
95 super3800
SToP
Rickw
dscott2000
hotrod58
manofmany
deekster_caddy
98SuperRiv
ewolfe0050
robertwolf86
TType_Riviera
dreww
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptySun May 03, 2009 2:04 pm

Thanks turtleman! Looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm

Did you get this sending unit for the Aurora, or is there a Riv specific unit?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 10:26 pm

If I remember correctly when he bought it the seller had 98-99 Riv.unit for sale.
Also, remember he's in Canada and so is the vendor if that makes any difference to you. Some people don't like buying from Canadian vendors.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 11:33 pm

Canada? What's that? lmao

Good point, better to get it here in the states if possible. Rock Auto has a fuel level sensor kit for $128 - think I'd rather do business with the Canadians.

Not having much luck here.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 12:24 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Did you get this sending unit for the Aurora, or is there a Riv specific unit?

Did your sensor go out too? mine did cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 1:09 pm

It's not entirely out but it doesn't read right. It's still useful within the first half tank.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 1:52 pm

Jack the R wrote:
It's not entirely out but it doesn't read right. It's still useful within the first half tank.

mine fails... it read full and i went and put 17.8 gallons in my tank shout
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 5:07 pm

So what's the issue with ordering from Canada? VAT tax?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Come to think about it I bought something from a Canadian Vendor last year without any troubles, although the price did include shipping.
The only issue was it seemed to take UPS a long time to get it here.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 12:22 pm

I contacted the seller. Apparently he's out of Rivi sensors. He suggested trying a Skylark sensor. scratch Wouldn't the Aurora sensor be a better bet? I'd rather not play "try it and see" either way if it's going to involve splicing wires
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 12:23 pm

Jack the R wrote:
I contacted the seller. Apparently he's out of Rivi sensors. He suggested trying a Skylark sensor. scratch Wouldn't the Aurora sensor be a better bet? I'd rather not play "try it and see" either way if it's going to involve splicing wires
I'm going to splice my wire's... and use hot glue to seal them than shrink wrap and electrical tape.. i don't want those exposed!!!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 2:46 pm

Where did you find a sensor?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Jack the R wrote:
At his prices, try one of each and let us know.
Splicing wires is not a problem at all. Just solder and heat shrink.
There is such little current in there it can't hurt anything or cause problems. If it could your existing worn rheostat would have already gone BOOM.
Just keep the wires covered and separated. Just like they are now.
I'm serious, there is nothing to worry about as far as explosions unless you cause an substantial arc in gasoline vapor.
This, the rheostat and wiring, is always in fluid gasoline.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 2:58 pm

Can one of the shop manual guys check to see if the Riv and Aurora have the same tank (if it says?)
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 3:37 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Can one of the shop manual guys check to see if the Riv and Aurora have the same tank (if it says?)

Doesn't say Jack, but there are two different sections for Tank Removal depending on which car, Aurora, or Riv. The Illustrative pictures look exactly the same though.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 5:25 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
Jack the R wrote:

Doesn't say Jack, but there are two different sections for Tank Removal depending on which car, Aurora, or Riv. The Illustrative pictures look exactly the same though.

The pictured tanks look the same? Surely they are. Could it be that there are two different sections for ease of use?

Let me know what you think, and I'll contact the seller again. He's offering a money back guarantee in case the part is wrong. I've got no idea how to tell if the part is wrong without installing it though.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 9:18 pm

Jack the R wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
Jack the R wrote:

The pictured tanks look the same? Surely they are. Could it be that there are two different sections for ease of use?

Let me know what you think, and I'll contact the seller again. He's offering a money back guarantee in case the part is wrong. I've got no idea how to tell if the part is wrong without installing it though.

The pictures they use look the same. No way to know if they are exactly the same, but it would stand to reason that they are.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 9:49 pm

Maybe the difference is the pumps run different pressures for different engines? I don't know. Just a guess.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 3:31 am

Duh, I just thought to check Edmunds. Edmunds says the Aurora and Riv both have a 20 gallon tank. Surely GM didn't make a unique 20 gal tank for each vehicle. I'll go ahead and order the Aurora sensor.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 8:42 am

I just looked on www.rockauto.com. 1998 Riviera fuel level sensor.

1998 BUICK RIVIERA 3.8L 231cid V6 MFI Supercharged (1) : Fuel/Air : Fuel Level Sensor Price Core Total Advice
ACDELCO Part # SK1037 {#25335941}
SENSOR KIT,FUEL LVL
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 5 business days

$127.99 $0.00 $127.99
Add to Cart

And 1998 Aurora

1998 OLDSMOBILE AURORA 4.0L 244cid V8 MFI (C) : Fuel/Air : Fuel Level Sensor Price Core Total Advice
ACDELCO Part # SK1035 {DUAL PRONG LOCKING FEATURE WITH LOOSE CPA CLIP #25330713, 88963638}
SENSOR KIT,FUEL LVL

$107.89 $0.00 $107.89
Add to Cart
ACDELCO Part # SK1194 {DUAL PRONG ATTACHMENT FEATURE #19121313}
SENSOR KIT,FUEL LVL

$143.79 $0.00 $143.79
Add to Cart

Different parts, available though.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 8:48 am

Definitely cheaper though, worth a shot.

Link
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 1:58 pm

The last one's the one I was going to get. But now you've got me worried again wink
Back to top Go down
96Super

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 2:37 am

My Gauge works from full to half. Is this an easy fix?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 10:26 am

96Super wrote:
My Gauge works from full to half. Is this an easy fix?

I think so. Just open the hatch in the trunk floor, remove the pickup/sending unit and replace. You might need a new locking ring if it's rusty. While you are in there, replace the pickup screen to the fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 12:49 pm

I've directed the eBay seller to this thread. I bet he could sell a few sensors if he could get the right ones available again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement   Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Fuel Pump/Tank Sending Unit Replacement
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next