Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Engine Swap + Gen V

Go down 
+15
99Rivman
T Riley
nothincame2mind
BMD
Jack the R
TonySmooth89
oldsman105
robotennis61
ibmoses
Snowdog
manofmany
Rickw
deekster_caddy
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 4:56 pm

Rickw wrote:
Do you by any chance remember what size NPT tap I need to buy.?

1/4 NPT, and you need a special plug, I forget exactly what they call it but there are tall and short pipe plugs.

Bill, I put some indian head on the pipe threads before installing. Never seen one back out.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 5:05 pm

So, I assume it is the short 1/4" NPT plug that I need??
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 8:06 am

Should be a short plug with a hex key head.

Derek, what's Indian Head?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 8:52 am

Indian Head is the brand name of a pipe sealant. It's brown, very thick and works very well.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 10:35 am

Indian Head:

https://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(d5pzsdrt5goov455oijuji55)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=88220
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 10:36 am

hmmm, why is my post invisible?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 12:41 pm

wait ..i still dont get it? the reason to delete the coolant passages on the s/c is so one can run a different throttle body? other than that there are no other advantages? is there a better throttle body available for my 95 s/c? from,

clueless...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 2:09 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
wait ..i still dont get it? the reason to delete the coolant passages on the s/c is so one can run a different throttle body? other than that there are no other advantages? is there a better throttle body available for my 95 s/c? from,

clueless...

technically coolant is there to prevent the throttle body from icing. We generally don't have an icing problem (I've never ever heard of it happening), so blocking the passages doesn't seem to affect anything. It may even lower the temps at the opening of your supercharger a little bit. If you change to a different throttle body then yes, you need to block the coolant passages somewhere, because they don't line up anymore, or the other throttle body doesn't have coolant passages at all. On mine it was blocked at the supercharger to throttle body passage, it should have been blocked at the lower intake manifold. (It is now!)

I'm not sure if the M62 (series 1) had the same coolant passages.

Will post pictures later of the coolant holes and how they are blocked in my setup.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 2:24 pm

The series one does have similar coolant passages. And can be blocked if you want. For your location robotennis, I'd block them. I don't here in canada cause of the winters.

As far as what blocking them does, there are various trains of thought on the topic. Aside from nesessity (different TB and the such) some say the coolant actually does cool your aircharge under high load; whilst others say it does nothing other than make the blower and TB hotter than needed.

Personally, if it weren't for our winters here, i'd have blocked mine ages ago. Even with the winters, I'm probally going to block mine in the near future. Mostly so the coolant won't need to be drained when popping the SC off.

As far as flow on the series one TB, the 95 TB is supposed to actually be a better flower than the stock 96+ TB, so there is not really a better TB for the series one "off the shelf."

Back on topic, if I were to plug the coolant ports, I don't see why dimes woulden't work, or just tap and plug the LIM, for extra peace of mind.

Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 3:43 pm

got it! i understand now canada
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 3:56 pm

sorry about the pic size, and quality - from my cellphone and a last minute thought. In the first pic, I just ran my pipe tap through the close hole, second hole is still OEM. In the second pic, I have inserted pipe plugs with a little Permatex Ultra Copper (couldn't find my Indian Head) on the threads.

Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 Web

Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 Web

Please note, that with a pipe tap, since it is a tapered thread, and depth matters, it is very important that you stop while tapping and see how far your plugs go into the holes. Too shallow, it will hit the SC. Too deep and you ruined the hole, you'll be using dimes wink

-Derek
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 10:40 pm

is there a temp sensor at the manifold near the throttle body on the 97? and if there is wont the computer wonder why its not getting its info?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 11:53 pm

The temp. sensor is in the coolant passage, not in the TB, so it is sending proper temp signal to PCM.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 12:19 am

uhh ..i knew that!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 8:20 am

yeah, the temp sender is down below the thermostat housing. No problem there!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 9:43 am

Derek,
Did you get Stainless 1/4" NPT plugs for your LIM and if so where?
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 11:21 am

98riviera98 wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think it's the supercharger gasket, not the head gasket, as it's in more than one cylinders and not just one bank. I'll pull the S/C off and see what I find...

good luck Deek... You need to inspire me... A little birdie tells me that i might have a video of a low 13 second pass in the riv early august.. high 12's on a 75 shot... Just what the little birdie was tellin me...

that bird lied to you, my GTX will be done and in 11.2 territory before you hit 12s you lazy mofo devil
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 11:22 am

Rickw wrote:
Derek,
Did you get Stainless 1/4" NPT plugs for your LIM and if so where?

most people just use Dimes, much cheaper tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 12:13 pm

palermocorey90 wrote:
98riviera98 wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think it's the supercharger gasket, not the head gasket, as it's in more than one cylinders and not just one bank. I'll pull the S/C off and see what I find...

good luck Deek... You need to inspire me... A little birdie tells me that i might have a video of a low 13 second pass in the riv early august.. high 12's on a 75 shot... Just what the little birdie was tellin me...

that bird lied to you, my GTX will be done and in 11.2 territory before you hit 12s you lazy mofo devil

O rly?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 7:36 am

Rob, the 96+ cars got a single temp sensor body with two sensors built into it. This allviated the need for two seperate sensors.

Derek, what you do you mean when you say too deep and you ruin the holes. If you use a 1/4" tap and 1/4" plug, then if you go too far the plug could continue to thread into the manifold versus hitting a stop point. In essence you are not fully tapping the hole correct?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 8:08 am

As you know Bill, the NPT is tapered. He was just trying to warn anyone doing this to run the tap in in incriments and keep trying the plug until you have it flush or just below the surface of the LIM. If you run the NPT tap all the way through without checking as you go you can make the treaded hole too large for a shallow or short NPT plug.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 10:07 am

Thanks for the reminder Rick. That's exactly what I was looking to confirm.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 1:38 pm

yep, that's right Bill, Rick is dead on - it's a tapered thread. Make it too deep and it will be ruined. Use dimes and you risk seepage. Not for me thanks, the right fix costs $2 instead of $.20. Rick, they are chrome (ha ha) not stainless. I hate chrome but it's all they had in stock at autocrap.

sorry bout the delayed replies, I've been away for a few days.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 1:55 pm

DELAYS IN POSTING ARE INEXCUSABLE! ( with cricket bat at ready robo braces himself for punishment administration) mad
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 2:09 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
DELAYS IN POSTING ARE INEXCUSABLE! ( with cricket bat at ready robo braces himself for punishment administration) mad

Ooooo Nooooo I'm busted. Blame AT&T for not having good coverage in remote mountains where nobody lives. Damn Them!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap + Gen V   Engine Swap + Gen V - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine Swap + Gen V
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next