Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps

Go down 
+55
joshuadalegrimes
al_roethlisberger
matt270avian
Mattwa
c0reyl
95rivy
robotennis61
Garret
stan
nebstewart07
97 park ave
Hometown Hero
Abaddon
BrianEsser
1996RIV CALI
albertj
95RiviSC
krazyfish
Rickw
EatDirtFartDust
brmcm15
StrictlyBusiness
sqrivi
Ryan from Ohio
duster_do_little
captshiner
ewolfe0050
ibmoses
riviera2454
KillaKeninaRiv
deekster_caddy
#1BearsFan
T Riley
SuperRiv07
TonySmooth89
1wickedninja
Lucas
Shintsu
sburch23
manofmany
Dj Brady
overownt
1BadBuick
RhinoFLA
AA
palermocorey90
dreww
nothincame2mind
'96reese
Ridin-Rivi
turtleman
98riv
TURBO87
Mr.Riviera
Jake95Riv
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 11:49 pm

Shintsu wrote:
Those ugly square subs? They're such an unnatural design.

They make the most out of a square box. Those triangle ones are an unnatural design. The square kickers are proven. Don't run away from em
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 11:53 pm

Triangle? Damn, do they have octagon and pentagon subwoofers too? Oh wait, Sony does make a pentagon shaped subwoofer.

Still, I don't buy that crap. Home audio speakers almost never use square designs (never seen one for that matter) and they sound excellent and many of them provide excellent bass - why the hell would I stick something so stupid looking in my car? Really, I mean they have to defend their gimmick or else they wouldn't be doing it. Buying one of those stupid looking square subs limits any sub changing in the future because I have to use another one and I can't use a round sub.

Sorry but I'm not buying those square Kickers. From reading a few of the ads with people selling those subs, they seem to have a special kind of attitude too (No idea why). Kind of like Mustang drivers or something - they think they're all that even though it's just one particular choice of subwoofers as opposed to something else.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 12:09 am

I've had 2 12" infinity perfect series subs for about 6 years in a few different enclosures. They are very clean sounding and forgiving in terms of power needs. 18hz response is a neat little bragging point too. They can be had for relatively cheap now im sure.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 2:54 am

i remember hearing a story about some guy with 4 15 inch kicker l7s that had like 10000 watts to them........ he was parked outside a grocery store and decided to bump it up......... well pickle jars were bouncing around and falling off shelves on the inside of the store
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 3:53 am

...not to sound like a broken record but will someone tell me if either setups I posted a few posts ago are any good? They're actually in my price range and look decent.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 3:55 am

Shintsu wrote:
...not to sound like a broken record but will someone tell me if either setups I posted a few posts ago are any good? They're actually in my price range and look decent.
buy some center caps instead
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 10:16 am

You don't see square subs in home audio because space is not such a concern. In a car, real estate is at a premium, so Kicker patented the square design to make 8"s play like 12". No one else can Kicker's patent for a while, but if Kicker were in the home audio game, you'd see square cones dominating just as they are in car audio. The design is so successful already.

What suits your eye as "natural" has nothing to do with what an L7 sounds like, nor any other sub for that matter. Subwoofers are purely pistons that move air. If they can move a lot of air, and do it without flexing, they tend to sound very accurate and get pretty loud. There is no tonality or material characteristic to consider. Subs are just motors that move air. The more powerful the motor, the stiffer the cone, and the more surface area and travel the cone can push, the better the result. Sound quality and output level is a function of this ability.

These low-end subs you are targeting do not have stiff cones, nor the voice coil and suspension systems to move enough air to be loud or accurate. They may move enough air to sound loud, but they do this with massive levels of distortion (well above 10%). Interesting thing is, bass distortion, like tube distortion, doesn't sound that bad, and can even be desirable to most listeners. Point: round cones do not have anything to do with sound quality. Fact: Square cones move more air than round cones because they have more surface area.

MA Audio subs are low-end. Power Acoustik amps are junk. The Kenwood amp is a good piece. I used to have one that sucked lots power but made a decent amount of noise. Most say RF subs are not as good nowadays, but I have no experience with the P3 line. Imo, any company that comes out with a "Fast & Furious" line of audio equipment is pretty lame.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 12:25 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
Shintsu wrote:
buy some center caps instead
Already did - that sig picture is old. Don't have a newer one!

And now I'm stumped again. bonk
Back to top Go down
riviera2454
Enthusiast
riviera2454

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 1:14 pm

I would look around more. Also try saving a little bit more money. You can find really good deals if you look around.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 2:17 pm

I have $670 to spend on whatever, but that's it. I'm not blowing all that money on subs...if I can't get a good setup for $350 or less then fuck it I won't buy any subs.
Back to top Go down
riviera2454
Enthusiast
riviera2454

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 6:54 pm

Thats wat I am saying check around more. I got my whole setup for 400. The guy was a lil desperate for money but still. As far as squares go they pound hard. If you are looking for something that beats hard and is cheap find a square sub who cares if it looks dumb. I had 2 blitz audio 10inch squares with like a 600 or 800 watt lanzar amp in a lil bmw 318i and that beat hard really hard for what it was. It would fill your requirement of being able to tell you are bumpin at a stop light. I think I bought the whole setup for 175-200 used.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 9:22 pm

Well, I check everyday - most of what I see looks like crap or is too much. I did find a guy selling three JL 12w6 V2s for $300 in a box and I was going to get it but the asshole never emailed me back. Typical damned craiglist user...
Back to top Go down
riviera2454
Enthusiast
riviera2454

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 10:43 pm

http://louisville.craigslist.org/pts/860996022.html

This one I do not think would be half bad maybe try to talk the price down and go and try and hear and see it yourself since he cannot figure out what he has.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 11:44 pm

I showed that one and AA said it looked like Kicker knockoffs and basically to avoid.

This almost seems too cheap...
http://louisville.craigslist.org/ele/869182458.html
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 3:29 pm

If those are the infinity perfects, they are good subs. Too bad you don't know because the seller can't say. Used subs are a risk, especially when you never know how they were treated. People who sell stuff for really cheap, or who can't spell, or properly describe the item - I'd avoid buying from these types.

If you put a sub in the wrong box size, or no box, or you play the wrong music, or use too much power for the box size... the subs are dead and they still look new. They might even play ok at low volumes. you never know. Also, factory power specs are for small, sealed boxes. Lots of people try to use too much power in a vented or large sealed box = bad.

If I were redoing my own sub system, I'd use a single new RE SR10 in a large sealed box with about 250wRMS.

If you gain anything from this, at least you are taking your time and learning about what you are buying.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
riviera2454
Enthusiast
riviera2454

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 11:52 pm

So I am lookig for a sub for a extended cab pickup. Those re subwoofers what would a good amp be to go with just one.

Link

I am thinking 8s due to their size and ability to fit. Or do you think I would be better off with one 12. I would like a bit of loud bass but with some quality as well. I also am afraid that it will sound bad at high volumes. A friend had a sub inside his suv and it sound distorted when played at high volumes. I do not want this.

Last edited by AA on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Link URL too LONG!!!!! Learn to use "url=" code!)
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

Name : Andrew
Merit : -1

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 12:22 am

Here's a good bass amp, I have one and I love it.
Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 AMPEG_BA-210SP
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572362129
riviera2454
Enthusiast
riviera2454

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 7:00 pm

http://www.subthump.com/silverado.htm

I am thinking the 1988-1998 GM Extended Cab Single Downfire may be the box for me. Anyone have a recomendation a good sub and amp combo for a box with that air space. I would kind of like to give JL a try just because I always how good their stuff is.
Back to top Go down
Ridin-Rivi
Enthusiast
Ridin-Rivi

Name : Darrin

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 10:42 am

Anyone need a badass amp?
Back to top Go down
riviera2454
Enthusiast
riviera2454

PostSubject: Subwoofer and Amp Help   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptySun Nov 02, 2008 1:53 am

I have read AA talk about re subs many times. I need a sub that has a 5'' mounting depth for my truck. I have found this re 10 on ebay.

Link

Will this thing be any good? Also what would be a good amp to go with it.

Last edited by AA on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Link URL too LONG!!!!! Learn to use "url=" code!)
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptySun Nov 02, 2008 11:24 am

LOOKS LIKE JUNK
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptySun Nov 02, 2008 11:25 am

What kinda amp? and How much

Ridin-Rivi wrote:
Anyone need a badass amp?
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptySun Nov 02, 2008 2:47 pm

Quote :
Will this thing be any good? Also what would be a good amp to go with it.
This is their bottom end line. Every speaker brand has one. It's not junk, but It's not going to be a great sub if it only costs $50. The RE I was talking about is the SR model, it sells for around $100. Big difference there.

Any class D power amp from a reputable company should work, There are hundreds of possibilities, jut make sure it has enough power to drive your sub(s).

Quote :
I am thinking 8s due to their size and ability to fit. Or do you think I would be better off with one 12. I would like a bit of loud bass but with some quality as well. I also am afraid that it will sound bad at high volumes. A friend had a sub inside his suv and it sound distorted when played at high volumes. I do not want this.
As long as you stay away from $50 subs, and you use the right enclosure, and you give it enough power, it shouldn't sound bad. It also helps to use a crossover to block the high frequencies.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
duster_do_little
Enthusiast
duster_do_little

Name : Dustin
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 3:05 pm

I've witnessed first hand a subwoofer sounding great in one car and not in another. I have a 10" LA sub in a narrow box (built it for my Fiero). The box is just a little smaller than recommended volume, but in my Fiero it sounded great. It had really precise beats, and it was loud (120db). I put the same box in the trunk of the riviera and it doesn't sound bad, but it's very quiet, and to make it as loud as I want it, it causes the sound to get distorted. I'll have to go back to the drawing board and I'll probably buy 2 new subs and ditch the LA, because I'm not a big fan of the company as it is. I'll probably just get a couple MB Quartz subs (not sure just how much I wanna spend yet), because I can get them for about $50 each and I've heard great things about their audio. I'll then make an enclosure for each rear corner of the trunk angled toward the front. Then I'll be using the trunk as an amplifier and I should be able to get a little more volume while keeping the clarity with 2 subs.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 7:20 pm

-

Last edited by deekster_caddy on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps   Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Subwoofers, Speakers & Amps
Page 7 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next