Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns

Go down 
+32
Rivit
DaveE_95Riv
Rivnut
Sir Psycho Sexy
Yardley
sniperdude
rivparadise
holson03
Straighteight
stan
RidzRiv
deekster_caddy
denim
Abaddon
SupersportSteve
flyineagle96
robotennis61
ghpcnm
otto95
AA
Snowdog
BlownRiv
BKRIV
LARRY70GS
ibmoses
Z-type
albertj
Rickw
Jack the R
rivboy
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
otto95

Name : John P.
Merit : 1

FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 4:12 pm

A friend of mine (retired mechanic) in AZ (grew up in Minnesota) often joked that he'd have the best of both worlds if he had a desert car with a mid-west interior. I will say that I see alot fewer cracked dashboards and sun-bleached seats and door panels back here - the interior pieces are better in the junkyards around here.

However, the rusted out cars & trucks on the road around here just drive me crazy - I saw better cars in the wrecking yards (& go to the crusher) in AZ than I sometimes see going down the roads here.
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 5:09 pm

FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 Porsch10 But... It has a perfect interior !!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 5:45 pm

That BUG is Toast!!! razz
Back to top Go down
otto95

Name : John P.

PostSubject: temp   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 8:44 pm

I think it WAS a Porsche...
Back to top Go down
SupersportSteve
Amateur

Name : Steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 10:10 am

I just noticed a knocking noise in my Riv at the right front. When I jacked it up to look for the source, I found part of the sub frame rotted out. It made the noise as soon as I started to jack it up. I may try to weld some angle iron over the rotted section, just to get me through the winter. Probably part it out in the spring. I just replaced the water pump and belts last weekend......it runs fantastic.....big disappointment. I'll probably look to buy another one, this time from a warmer climate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.csb25.com
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 10:37 am

You may want to consider putting a used cradle in it. It's really not that hard to do. Just rent an engine holder to hold the engine/trans up and start unbolting stuff. I can walk 'ya through it if you want to go that route....
Back to top Go down
SupersportSteve
Amateur

Name : Steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 8:09 am

I might consider doing that, as I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the car. I just bought a replacement, so I have some time to think about it. It runs great. I'm either going to part it out, sell it outright and lick my wounds, or make the repair you mentioned, if it's not really that bad of a job. Thanks for your reply.
Back to top Go down
http://www.csb25.com
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Is this catastrophic?   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Sadly, my Riv suddenly won't fly faster than 40mph without the front end shaking like the devil.
A look-see under reveals what is seen in the photo. Has corrosion spelled the end for this ride?

Is this at all curable?

FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 010612
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Looks like Cradle mounts. Not Catastrophic, but a pretty big job.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t8662-write-up-cradle-mount-insulators-bushings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 4:13 pm

Folks,
Since the cradle event (photo above) my Riv will not start. Perhaps a ground was broken... the symptoms are similar to the bad key resistance issue. I won't be able to make heads or tails of how this cradle is normally mated with the frame until I get it on a lift (via flatbed).
Before I make that move, can anyone direct me to existing undercarriage photos that may be on the site? I'd like to see what a solid (relatively rust-free) undercarriage should look like.
Appreciate your input.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 7:23 pm

That's a mess and very unsafe,you need to weld plates.there's no floor left big nightmare!!!
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Yes,
Very unsafe. That's why I'm looking for real time undercarriage shots to see what this assembly should normally look like. Need to decide what to do next.
Thanks for responding.
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 8:11 pm

The pic's would just look the same but metal shinny and you know rust free.If you don't have a welder or know were to get one you might want other options just to find someone to do that work is going to be hard enough never mind the cost!!!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 8:38 am

There's this write up about removing the subframe: (but no pics)

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t2799p15-write-up-transaxle-removal-installation

and this one has a pic of the subframe out of the car:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t2090-identify-this-part

but I can't find the pic you took.

HTH
-Derek
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 8:50 am

Deekster,
Please forward the cradle shown above, overnight express smile

I didn't know my Riv came with a cradle. Seems the previous owner didn't change the diapers often enough.

Shame there's no pix with the writeup.
Thanks for the link!
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Attacking Rust   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 5:36 pm

Since my Riviera is driven in the wisconsin winters, and due to its age, it has developed some rust on the underside including parts of the frame, the wheel wells, and just about everywhere else underneath the car. These cars are getting pretty old now, and have been on the road for some time, so it makes sense that a lot of them will have problems with rust. I just recently tackled the rust on my riv and decided that i might as well make a write-up for anyone else who may want to get rid of some rust/ prevent more rust. I'm sure this isn't the best way to deal with rust, but it was an efficient and reasonable method for a young guy like me.

Supplies list:
-4 cans of undercoating( I got mine from Fleet Farm)
-2 cans of Rust Fix( I got this at O'reilly's, It's made by duplicolor)
-Wire Brush
- A rag and some water
FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 34ih7p3

Before Picture
FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 S5g4uw

Step 1:
Jack up your Riviera and remove the wheel for better access to wheel well. (Don't forget your Jack Stands!)

Step 2:
Using your wire brush, brush down all areas of concern. Try to remove all loose materials.
FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 15q5jjr
FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 2cgn0cj

Step 3:
Wipe down all areas that are dirty and that you have wire brushed so that the surface will be ready for adhesion of sprays.
FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 2lmxyx5

Step 4:
Now spray the areas with Rust Fix. Apply multiple even coats.
FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 T5gi00

Step 5:
After letting the Rust Fix dry apply your Undercoating throughout all areas of the wheel well.
FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 2j2tizt

Step 6:
Inspect wheel well for areas that you may have missed with the undercoating and spray where needed.

Now you are done with one wheel well and have 3 more to go! Your efforts will be worth it when you look at your now clean and black wheel wells. You can also use the same steps to attack rust anywhere else on the underbody of your car. I recommend undercoating parts of the frame and cradle.
FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 34t69sh

FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 1zx9mye
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 6:17 pm

That sure looks better. Nice job !!! POINT+ (I hate rust)

Last edited by ghpcnm on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks Dave!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 6:37 pm

that looks great! I love that rust converter stuff.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 6:59 pm

nice write-up.Thanx.looks much better now.
Back to top Go down
Straighteight
Straighteight

PostSubject: Collapse of inner frame on 95-97's   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 8:34 pm

afraid

Are the 98 and 99 models subject to the same inner frame collapse as the previous models?

There seems to have been a rash of incidents with collapse of inner frames .
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Rust is rust and the corrosion warranty is only 6 years long.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 10:45 pm

So, has anyone dealt successfully with failure of the frame at the cradle mounts? Mine have rusted in my '95. Is there an alternative to parting out or junking?... can these areas be fixed? All else with this car is in very good shape.
Thanks in advance smile
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 12:21 am

denim wrote:
So, has anyone dealt successfully with failure of the frame at the cradle mounts? Mine have rusted in my '95. Is there an alternative to parting out or junking?... can these areas be fixed? All else with this car is in very good shape.
Thanks in advance smile

I am having a local welder repair mine as I write this; I have a problem but we caught it early.

Basically what you can do - can't locally hydroform frame pieces but can fabricate repair pieces with metal brake and some patience then MIG them together. Takes time and jigs.

After the welding is done I will coat the underbody to retard further rust. I did not realize it had gotten as bad as it is. I have some small (quarter size) perforations and proportionately more surface rust. It will all be fixed this week.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks, Albert.
I'm working on an engine replacement (as time allows) in my '98 because of the rust issue with the '95. I'd be happy to have one of these on the road! But I would also like to rehab the '95 if possible rather than part it out.
That said, it sounds like it could be a major job to patch a car that has already failed, unlike yours that is still intact. In mine, things are already out of spec and askew. Maybe a non-rust-belt chassis, wrecked but intact in the front half would be easier to weld in instead of a cobble job on my broken down NY ruster. smile
In any case, it also sounds like the interior may have to be torn up to avoid the heat of welding process. All totaled, a heck of a lot of work (and $$), not including the cradle and bushings part. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns   FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Rust Areas & Concerns
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next