Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount

Go down 
+27
charlieRobinson
al_roethlisberger
flyingjunebugs
flyineagle96
werdstrave
98riv
jlaw
robotennis61
VegasScott
BMD
Ship
crlombardi69
AA
Mr.Riviera
Abaddon
GMFreak8
Eldo
albertj
deekster_caddy
99Rivman
Rickw
KillaKeninaRiv
ewolfe0050
turtleman
Turbocharged400sbc
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 11:04 pm

It's cheaper there but i needed it ASAP b/c i'll be moving soon and wont have a garage to work in for a little while.

Take notes when you do yours in case i missed something. i was doing a lot of trial-n-error removing bolts trying to find an easier way to get it out.

Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 4:31 pm

Boy, the mount sure doesn't look like the drawing in the manual...
I wonder if the expensive, OEM replacement comes as a complete, bolt-in unit.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 5:08 pm

driver side complete unit is available form AZ for $102

What does the manual look like? maybe the 96 is different than the rest of them?
Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 Moz-screenshot-1Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 Moz-screenshot-2Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 4

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Eldo wrote:
Boy, the mount sure doesn't look like the drawing in the manual...
I wonder if the expensive, OEM replacement comes as a complete, bolt-in unit.
Yes, the OEM replacement that was purchased for my car during the Trans rebuild for a million dollars comes complete with all the heavy steel ready to bolt in and looks like the complete one Matt posted above.
Don't know if it's the same as the one he posted, but sure looks like it from memory.
I have the remaining metal part that eventually I'll put one of those Rock Auto mounts in with some Black Urethane and see how that feels.
Just another thing to add to the list when I drop the cradle for other repairs. Not urgent since mine was replaced, but the OEM one is too soft and allows for a lot of fore and aft movement.
Need to fill the voids in the other new one that was installed in front also.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
driver side complete unit is available form AZ for $102

What does the manual look like? maybe the 96 is different than the rest of them?

Thanks for the extra photo, I'm sure it will help others along the way.

It was my mistake, I would have sworn that I read yours as 1998 last night... that's what I get for skipping my Vitamin V. tongue
Yes, '95-'96 and '97-'98 are different because of the different trannies - '99 even uses a third one that is the cheapest! To add to the confusion, GMpartsdirect lists 3 different mounts ranging from $50 to $200, but they use the same diagrams for all years... headbutt
The only good thing I see in all of this is that the "Drive" mount, which takes most of the abuse, is the front one, which is the easiest to change.

So now I have another question: Do all years use the 4th mount on the drivers side? scratch
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 7:48 pm

my 96 has a 4th mount by the EBTCM.

Also note that rockauto lists the same rear mount for 95-98 rivieras; anchor part 3065 that Aaron posted earlier.
The 99's have this listed for the "rear left" :

Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 Getimage.php?imageurl=http%3A%2F%2Finfo.rockauto.com%2FAnchor%2F2898

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 12:35 pm

I just received mine from Rockauto, looks just like the picture:

Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 3065_1

I'm going to fill it with epoxy before installing.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 1:40 pm

I also received mine! Hoping it helps some of the false knock I'm getting. Now if I could just get a chance to go to the shop and work on things.

Enthusiast

Name : Chris L
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:57 pm

If you don't mind me asking what symptoms were you experiencing to warrant the replacing of this mount?
Back to top Go down
http://crlombardi69@yahoo.com
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 12:10 am

Chris,
if you have a car that is 12 years old with 100k miles on it, chances are (at least) your rear trans mount is shot.
Both my front and rear were no good when I bought my car with about 76,000 miles on it.
I waited untill I had my trans rebuilt to have them replaced.
At that time, they weren't available aftermarket and I didn't know any better so i paid retail at $300.00 each. Figured while the trans was out for O/H it made sense to spend another $600.00. What a friggin dope i was.

My car showed signs of the worn mounts before the trans issues by the engine moving around the engine bay during acceleration and decelleration. Serious fore and aft movement and some banging when accelerating hard, but just the movement was enough to know that they were worn out.
Once the trans was out of the car and you could look closely at these mounts, it didn't take a second for me to tell the shop to go ahead and buy new ones, even at the price i was quoted. I was told they were not available other than through the dealer and i made a couple of phone calls to verify that.

You all are lucky that the internal parts, the rubber and center bushings are now available for what you would expect to pay for a rubber mount. Just replace them if there is a question. You will be glad you did.
And what I have found out from this site is to fill the gaps with the 3M window urethane that has been mentioned several places on here before.

The reason being is even the brand new mounts are made so flexible for a luxury car feel that they don't quite do it even when new.
Meaning they still allow the engine to rock back and forth too much.
This summer, while doing a bunch of other preventive maintenance to the car I'm going to fill the rear and front mounts with that 3M window seal, urethane, and let it cure overnight and hope i haven't waited too long to do it. Preferably the surfaces should be clean of all oil and dirt before applying.

If you buy new mounts, buy this stuff and fill the factory voids with it before installing the mounts and let sit overnight, you'll be glad you did for an extra $10.00 a tube.

Last edited by Rickw on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
crlombardi69
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 12:22 am

That's good advice because mine have gotten sloppy since I bought the car and started doing modifications. I was gonna replace the rear and want to do the front solid with the hockey pucks. thanks Rick and good to hear from you.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 12:35 am

crlombardi69 wrote:
That's good advice because mine have gotten sloppy since I bought the car and started doing modifications. I was gonna replace the rear and want to do the front solid with the hockey pucks. thanks Rick and good to hear from you.
If your thinking about doing the front with Hockey Pucks, have you seen the Pic's from Turtlemans car today.????
Glad to hear your still with us as well.
Look at the pics and think twice or 3 times before doing the hockey puck mod.

I'd be more than happy to sell you a Brand New Bonneville front engine mount to do the job, I have one that I was going to install with the GenV, but from what we have seen tonight, I would not do that to you. Unless you plan on reinforcing that area completely by welding a patch that goes all around the sub-frame.
After that is done you are ready for the mount and pucks.
Rick
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 10:18 am

Quote :
If you don't mind me asking what symptoms were you experiencing to warrant the replacing of this mount?
I started hearing a "clunk" sound during mild cornering. It sounded like there was a large socket rolling around under the hood. I took the car in for inspection and they pointed out a bad right side ball joint, and the failed rear mount. The tech took a crow bar and lifted the engine to show how loose it was - i'm not sure there's much rubber left insulating anything. Lots of movement.

I've since replaced both ball joints, but still have the clunk sound, so hopefully it's the mount.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
crlombardi69
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 12:54 am

I'm going to buy the new replacement motor mounts and do the 3M window sealant trick to them. I do expect deflection beyond my liking though and will be boxing in the subframe with plate steel and install the hockey picks or something similar to get the solid mount effect. I love doing things after the first pioneers do these mods. As most of us know is the second time doing mods and such you can do them better and with less work/time involved. This site is great for the Riviera owners and enthusiasts.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 1:02 am

I am unable to find P/N 3065, from Rock Auto, which was listed in this thread for the replacement mount for the rear trans mount.

Not a listed number anymore from what I get for feedback.

If anyone knows different, please let me know. I really would like to buy one.

Maybe I should start looking at the local Auto Parts Stores as well and see if the aftermarket or at least the local stores list it.
I definitely broke mine. Cheap OEM crap with about 30K miles on it. For only $300.00 at the time.
Back to top Go down
Ship
Fanatic
Ship

Name : Dave
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 11:03 am

Rick,
RockAuto's part number might be 3127 for the trans mount for 95-99 Rivs.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 11:54 am

That is the one currently listed and I believe that is for the front.
The one for the rear seems to have disappeared from their listing already.

And I don't know who gave you a Red mark for trying to help but I hit it with a Positive to negate it. That was foolish of whomever thinks every little thing requires a score of negative.

Thanks for looking though Dave

No sooner did I hit "Enter" for this post, that the Red bar showed up. This is ridiculous. To say the least.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 12:09 pm

I was able to pick up mine from autozone. They had to order it but it was pretty cheap. As i said earlier in the thread i filled the voids with window weld and it has been holding up VERY well. i actually have a little more cabin vibration now that all my mounts are semi-poly. Not near as bad as my friends regal with all poly mounts but i do notice a vibration at certain rpms.

ok, i think the forum is messed up b/c mine went red instantly when i posted.

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 12:26 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
I was able to pick up mine from autozone. They had to order it but it was pretty cheap. As i said earlier in the thread i filled the voids with window weld and it has been holding up VERY well. i actually have a little more cabin vibration now that all my mounts are semi-poly. Not near as bad as my friends regal with all poly mounts but i do notice a vibration at certain rpms.

ok, i think the forum is messed up b/c mine went red instantly when i posted.
I negated the Red with a positive.

Thanks for responding to my question on mounts.

I have a question for you, Did you use any kind of adhesion promoter on the mount before injecting with the 3M Urethane.?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Nope I actually had to cut the tube open because the nozzel was clogged from the last mount i filled.

I took gobs of it with my hand (gloves are a must) and packed it in the voids squishing out the air and then as it started to harden i smoothed the ends for aesthetics.

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 12:49 pm

I just checked on-line with Advanced Auto Parts and they list the Anchor mount #3065 as in stock allong with the 3M Super Fast Urethane.
I have a $10.00 off coupon from them in the mail as they just opened a store a couple of miles from me.
So, I'll go and get the stuff there today and get the new one filled before lifting the car and wrestling with the old one in the rear.
Will be doing it on a lift while changing out my front sway bar, brackets, bushings and end links.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 2:12 pm

Can you take some pics Rick?
Back to top Go down
Ship
Fanatic
Ship

Name : Dave
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Rick,
Thanks for negating the red mark with a positive...appreciate it. BUT, at age 61 I don't care what games folks play...I try to give my best car advice to people who are asking...not always dead on accurate but I do offer a little something based on my experience with at least prior or current cars I have owned or now own. This is a great forum, but I don't take stock in the extremely subjective "Integrity" section. Folks like AA, Eldo, Derek, Randall, you (as examples) are ones I trust with sound advice.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 4:30 pm

Ship wrote:
Rick,
Thanks for negating the red mark with a positive...appreciate it. BUT, at age 61 I don't care what games folks play...I try to give my best car advice to people who are asking...not always dead on accurate but I do offer a little something based on my experience with at least prior or current cars I have owned or now own. This is a great forum, but I don't take stock in the extremely subjective "Integrity" section. Folks like AA, Eldo, Derek, Randall, you (as examples) are ones I trust with sound advice.

Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated,
Rick
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Ship wrote:
Rick,

AA wrote:
Okay, I figured this one out (I think). Here's what happens: sometimes a post that gets hit with negative (or positive) will get deleted eventually, by the admin. I sometimes prune out irrelevant comments or fat that isn't needed anymore. Usually these are posts with negative votes. The negative (or positive) vote could be from a very recent post, or a one from a long time ago, it doesn't matter. When a post is deleted, for whatever reason, it will not affect your Integrity score. Say you have a score of 20, and I delete one of your posts with a red bar from last year - your score will stay at 20, not increase to 21.

What the computer does to compensate, it will automatically assign a vote to your next post, which will be the same as whatever vote type was recently deleted. If a post was deleted having no vote, or neutral votes, no vote will be assigned to your new post. If a post with negative was deleted, your new post will have a negative. Same thing with positive vote posts that are deleted - your new post will be automatically green. I believe the computer does this as a way to keep a correct count for maintaining accurate Integrity scores.

I agree it's confusing, and I will see what can be done to correct it, or at least make the error become more transparent to members. Just know that for now, if you see a negative or positive happen immediately after posting, it means that one of your previous posts (probably from long ago) was deleted, and that vote has been 'transferred' to your new post. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next