Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts

Go down 
+29
Z-type
Sir Psycho Sexy
highwaywarrior
fubar569
98riv
97 park ave
Eldo
98inSFl
Abaddon
rivparadise
#1BearsFan
Rickw
IBx1
KillaKeninaRiv
Mr.Riviera
deekster_caddy
BillBoost37
97rivman
TonySmooth89
robotennis61
2toneRivi
AA
turtleman
ewolfe0050
albertj
T Riley
oldsman105
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts Empty
PostSubject: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 12:30 pm

I bet some of you looked at this posting title and went shocked .

Ok in order to further understand, I am posting a solid front motor mount mod for the 00+ bonnevilles.

harofreak00 wrote:
taken straight from the post...

jack car up, put jack stand under the engine/tranny and set jack back down... slightly.. enought to take tension off the mount... take off 3 bols on the mount, and 1 on the bottom, and remove all together
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts DSC09172
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts DSC09173

parts i picked up - pucks were $2.99 each and the bolt setup was $10
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts DSC09162

make a template to center your drill holes, however this is not really crucial
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts DSC09163

mark...
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts DSC09164

and drill
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts DSC09165

put bolt thru
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts DSC09166

make sure everything is just as thick as the old mount
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts DSC09167
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts DSC09168
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts DSC09169

wrapped in electrical tape just for cosmetic
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts DSC09170

attach bracket in reverse order
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts DSC09174
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts DSC09176

leftovers that i can return to home depot... so about a $13 mod
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts DSC09177

OK you have all read that. This can be adapted to the Rivieras. I didn't take any pictures during the install because I wasn't sure it was going to work. but

Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts Solidmotormount001
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts Solidmotormount002
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts Solidmotormount003
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts Solidmotormount004
Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts Solidmotormount005

You will need to get a 2000+ Bonneville or Lesabre front trans mount bracket. You will also have to drill a hole in the subframe. But I must admit the results are noticeable. The car pulls alot better.

Disclaimer :

I have not driven this enough to say it was a total sucess. I hope someone trys to do it but. At your own risk.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 3:22 pm

thats REALLY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 3:24 pm

Looks like an improvement over the OEM gumband strip mounts. Thanks for the writeup.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 6:14 pm

passenger side mounts are 3" x 3" also. I poured a casting of polyurethane 85 durometer into a capped off piece of 3" ID PVC pipe, coatd the insides with wax, and marked 3.5" up and poured it. Slipps out easily because fo the wax and it's hard enough to machine the hole for the bushing and bolt. I got the poly in blue so it should look good installed.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Write-Up: Rubber Trans Mounts Version 2   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 4:23 pm

Here is an idea of how I casted my mounts.

Passsenger side mount
Image hosted by servimg.com

Passenger side mount apart... got to bend the tabs for the center to come out. Factory glued it in also so get your hammer ready

I used a generic tube for the bushing. Same length 4" as stock and same ID.

Make template... The hole is off center.

Make sure you coat your template with a release agent. Before you pour.

I used toilet wax to fill any holes or gaps. Dont forget to cover the hole in the side!!! My first pour just came out the hole and covered everything. Thankfully I had everything resting in a baking pan so it was contained for the most part.

Pour and wait. I let it set for a good day before I removed the template. Wash off the wax and your set! Here is a photo of the passenger side mount and front mount completed. (I reused the bushing for the front and rear mounts-easy to cut out). The rear was my first attempt and I did not come out pretty- have to redo that one. I have no idea how I am going to deal with the drivers side mount. Pix of that at the end.

Not the prettiest but they should work well. 80A hardness. I would imagine stock is somewhere between 45-50A.

Now for the driveres side mount...

Last edited by ewolfe0050 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 5:10 pm

Eric, would this be something the rest of us could do ourselves? Want to make a few more..? lol
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 5:38 pm

It's actually fairly easy once you get the hang of it. I went through several batches of poly before I got it right. Stupid things that could have been avoided if I wasn't in such a rush. I tried using a clay block to hold the bushing and mount- failed miserably. Forgot to plug the hole in the passenger side mount- big mess when the poly leaked out. Bought the wrong type of poly- cost me lots of money but I have very nice 85B hardness mounts now (they're harder than steel but completely un-usable). Stuff like that... Take your time and they will come out OK- If I was anymore anal I would redo them because you can (barely) see the brush strokes from the release wax application.

You can get the material at www.mcmaster.com. Shore 60A is P/N 8644K24. It will be firmer than stock. The 80A hardness, would be 8644K11. The hardness of a hockey puck is shore 85A for comparison. McMaster has the easiest stuff to use. If you want to fine tune the hardness you can go to Freeman’s site.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 5:40 pm

Good stuff, Eric. Thanks for the write-up!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
2toneRivi

Name : Chris
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 6:45 pm

ewolfe those mounts look nice!!!! can u link me to the exact material u used at the mcmaster.com website pls!!!!
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 7:10 pm

The 80A hardness, would be 8644K11. I bought the release wax from freeman but mcmaster would probably have a comparable release wax. McMaster product is very easy to use for the do-it-yourselfer. I got 4 1lb kits. One for each mount. They have a 10lb kit but it is much easier one at a time- trust me. Freemans site is for the professional- able to fine tune but don't expect the people there to address any questions you might have, they assume you know what you are doing. (more for commercial applications)
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 8:34 pm

An afterthought... 85A is a pretty stiff mount especially a "solid" mount with no gaps in the rubber/poly. For those who do not like vibration they might want to go with 60A hardness. Still stiffer than stock. They do break in after a while- just wanted to warn you guys.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 2:03 am

thats cool! let us know how they ride!
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 9:18 am

Another easier fix would be to do what some the W-Body people do with their mounts. It would work on the front and rear trans mount but probably not the side mounts. The trans mounts are square with a lot of gap between the rubber . Fill the gaps with poly (I have heard JB Weld will work also). You still have some flex with the rubber still being in place but it will firm up the mount. I think I saw a thread about it at 3800pro.com forum.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyFri May 02, 2008 3:54 pm

The three mounts are now in. P mount and front/rear transmission mounts. Paul at PRJPerformance was impressed with them especially for my first castings. Other than being a PITA to install (mostly rear trans mount) they fit very well. Once I have a chance to drive the car after the rest of my mods, I will let you know how they perform. He suggested that I start making them available for sale. I am strongly considering it... I have the process down now and If I can make a reusable templete it will be that much easier. I could do it in 80A or 60S hardness. Would anyone be interested? I dont spend too much in material (not including the mounts) so they wouldn't be too expensive and should be in line with some of the aftermarket mounts for other 3800 cars. After a chance to drive with them for a while I will start a poll...just keep it in mind.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyFri May 02, 2008 4:02 pm

I'd be interested in the 60A mounts.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyFri May 02, 2008 4:08 pm

I might be if the installation wasn't too bad. What's involved in doing the trans mounts?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyFri May 02, 2008 4:08 pm

AA wrote:
I might be if the installation wasn't too bad. What's involved in doing the trans mounts?

also interested on the level of skill needed and tools needed for install
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyFri May 02, 2008 4:31 pm

No special tools except for a 55mm torq for the rear. The problem was lack of space for the rear on a couple bolts. Took aprox 2hrs. The P mount and front mount is fairly easy. It's just standard R&R for all three.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyFri May 02, 2008 4:56 pm

What exactly gets R&R? Does the cradle need to fall? wink

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
97rivman
Fanatic
97rivman

Name : alex
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyFri May 02, 2008 7:28 pm

That back trans mount is a total pain in the ass!!! I love em though.....but can we get them in red? I'm kinda of under the impression that Im going to need an additional mount or torque dampner for my motor, and some new bushings very soon
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptySat May 03, 2008 3:04 am

so....does it improve the ride?
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptySat May 03, 2008 8:55 am

robostennis61- haven't been able to drive it yet... just got the rockers on yesterday and the cam in the day before. getting ready to install the IC this weekend. Should be able to drive it late Monday...
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptySat May 03, 2008 9:54 am

ewolfe0050 wrote:
robostennis61- haven't been able to drive it yet... just got the rockers on yesterday and the cam in the day before. getting ready to install the IC this weekend. Should be able to drive it late Monday...

With a Video of a WOT run?????? right? shocked

ugh i kno i kno....... you must break it in .......
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptySat May 03, 2008 11:53 am

You have to break in a cam? Another good thing about rockers... WOT right away!

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts EmptyMon May 05, 2008 8:42 am

My passenger side mount is close to yours. if anything I've felt it was lacking a bit. (as well as failing a bit quick). I need to go find a jack at the yard so I can get a spare.

Aaron..rockers or a cam should be driven nice for a little to let them seat properly and ensure there are no issues. Plus an oil change or two right after doing them is good practice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts   Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Hockey Puck & Casting Front/Side Motor Mounts
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next