Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Project Number 2: Paint and Body

Go down 
+15
ghpcnm
J. Chris Davis
bigdave
99Rivman
BlownRiv
albertj
crlombardi69
stan
DEMonte1997
Eldo
BMD
robotennis61
nebstewart07
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 12:09 am

Jamax wrote:
OK, I've just got to toss my opinion in here. First and foremost, Ben, it's your car. I recall when
you were trying out various designs and soliciting comments on them. Frankly, I thought that none of them were suitable...and I feared that you would screw it up royally with or without help.
I was wrong. You came up with the perfect solution, and it looks great. So now we come to the wheels, and the only answer here is that you see--in your mind--the Riv complete with those wheels. Dave's got the answer, and I'll bet you already have that planned. The Riv will be perfect for you--and I'll guess for almost everyone once they see it.
FYI: I'm older than both you and Robo. I plan to keep my original wheels (which I prefer on my Riv and generally speaking I prefer one solid color on a car. I'm relatively dull. I once owned a 4-door Plymouth that could--and did--scatter drug dealers when they saw it coming. but I like what you have done.
Nil carbirundum illegitimous.

No one is telling him not to do it,we're voicing our opinion.if ya put it out there ya gotta expect comment.

IMPUDENS ES LENO PERITE

Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

Name : Ben Stewart
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 6:58 am

well thanks for the comments and yes i expect comments whether for or against. i take negative or positive comments good as long as they help me improve on what i am thinking for the car.

The reason why I like these wheels:

1 they can be changed anytime
2 the car is blck red and chrome which these would allow me to include all three colors
3. imo they would compliment the car.

They may be too "loud" but i think once they are on the car the car will be whole and look like the rims were made for the car and not just go out and by chrome rims and throw them on there. jmo.

thanks for the comments again guys. keep them comming.
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 9:02 am

Jamax wrote:
OK, I've just got to toss my opinion in here. First and foremost, Ben, it's your car. I recall when
you were trying out various designs and soliciting comments on them. Frankly, I thought that none of them were suitable...and I feared that you would screw it up royally with or without help.
I was wrong. You came up with the perfect solution, and it looks great. So now we come to the wheels, and the only answer here is that you see--in your mind--the Riv complete with those wheels. Dave's got the answer, and I'll bet you already have that planned. The Riv will be perfect for you--and I'll guess for almost everyone once they see it.
FYI: I'm older than both you and Robo. I plan to keep my original wheels (which I prefer on my Riv and generally speaking I prefer one solid color on a car. I'm relatively dull. I once owned a 4-door Plymouth that could--and did--scatter drug dealers when they saw it coming. but I like what you have done.
agree I LIKE THOSE RIMS ... GO FO IT !!! cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 9:38 am

It is looking good; I agree the line does look like it is placed right!

I will have to wait and see just how the wheels look when they are installed, it might be too much for me but as has been said it IS your RIV! Might be better for me if the RED on the wheel matched the red on the body though, and maybe went with an 18” instead of a 20”?

Just an opinion...

99Rivman wrote:
Looks good! It is coming along very well thumbsup

nebstewart07 wrote:
And for the quarter window chrome that is above the window we had to get a window guy to remove it with the window $60 each window that is in and out. Once i get the paint pictures for the jams I will upload them here.
Well worth the investment having a Pro do it! If I remember correctly I paid $75 each just to have them put back in!!! headbutt

Did you opt NOT to remove the quarter windows? From the tape line in this picture it looks like you/your body man taped around them? I DO know they can be a pain, just wondering…

Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Image027
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Jamax
Enthusiast

Name : Jim Fleck
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 3:28 pm

[quote="robotennis61"]
Jamax wrote:

No one is telling him not to do it,we're voicing our opinion.if ya put it out there ya gotta expect comment.

IMPUDENS ES LENO PERITE

[/quote/]

Robo,
I understood what you were doing and was, in fact, doing the same thing. I brought your name into it because I could see pro & cons lining up according to age and, for the first time in my long life I liked an example of new generation wheels. I could see what Ben was looking for and I, despite my age, agree.
Your last line says it perfectly. Doesn't bother me, and I apologize if what I said bothered you.
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 4:05 pm

ok can someone tell me what those foreign words mean im confused.
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 4:48 pm

Here are some more pictures:

Rear painted:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0110

Door painted:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0111

Fender:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0112

Side view:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0113

Bumper sanded:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0114

Bumper again:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0115

Bumper primed:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0116

Rear end:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0117

Tinted tailight:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0118

Rear end:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0119

Rear end other side:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0120

Driver's side:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0121

Passenger's side:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0122

Front side:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0123

Passengers side:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0124

Front:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0125

Front bumper:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0126

Rear:
Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Img_0127

More pics coming
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 6:06 pm

very nice. I still love the line as it goes across the front of the hood.
Back to top Go down
Jamax
Enthusiast

Name : Jim Fleck
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 7:01 pm

nebstewart07 wrote:
ok can someone tell me what those foreign words mean im confused.

Sorry, Ben. Mine is (more or less) Latin for "Don't let the bastards wear you down."
Robo's is, I think, probably Spanish for "Be impudent (or impertinent, or maybe even presumptuous) at your peril."
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 7:50 pm

very nice...can't wait to see some mroe pics when she's all finished.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 9:58 pm

Looks AWESOME Ben, as you add more details it really starts to come to life. I like the tinted rear lights with the paint scheme too. Man, I am getting excited, I can imagine how you must feel. bounce

So correct me if I'm wrong Ben, but it looks like the area outlined in green just pops off, right? I know the area outlined in red doesn't come off, but what about the area outlined in yellow?

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 12:50 am

[quote="Jamax"]
robotennis61 wrote:
Jamax wrote:

IMPUDENS ES LENO PERITE

[/quote/]

Robo,
I understood what you were doing and was, in fact, doing the same thing. I brought your name into it because I could see pro & cons lining up according to age and, for the first time in my long life I liked an example of new generation wheels. I could see what Ben was looking for and I, despite my age, agree.
Your last line says it perfectly. Doesn't bother me, and I apologize if what I said bothered you.

No need to apologize. I was jus plain along..as I usually do
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 2:20 am

bmd once you take the weatherstripping off the doors there will be about ten screws that will take the chrome above the doors off. the chrome below the quarter windows pops off and the chrome above it does not come off i believe it is attached to the quarter window. the chrome on the doors below the window just pops off.

O ya and the quarter windows never came out since my window guy never came by twisted
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 2:23 am

robotennis61 wrote:
very nice. I still love the line as it goes across the front of the hood.

that was the one problem i hated with everyone elses two tone rivieras it just quit at the fenders and made it appear the just put on a black hood. i tried to incorporate the two tone scheme on every piece that was removable besides the bumpers to make sure it didnt appear that i did the two tone without painting.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 3:34 am

are you going to get the sqrivi bumpers too someday?
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 3:40 am

maybe or i will just make my own bumper.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 4:00 am

ya got balls kid
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 4:07 am

well i have heard that a couple times on this forum and ive only been here since december and my car has completely transformed since i got it and got on here. The only thing that looks the same since i bought it is the engine and tranny and rims. The rims will change soon and the engine will be next once it goes out.
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 4:09 am

well i take that back the rims that were on the car when i bought it were the ugly basic rims i changed them to the "supercharged" rims
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 4:12 am

all right..lets not get cocky rolleyes
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 4:39 am

i was just saying sorry i rambled a bit but i love my car i guess i am just passinate about what i have done so far if that was understood as being cocky i apoligize.

i guess what i meant to say was thank you and there is much more to come.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 5:10 am

all right..lets not get apologetic sick
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 9:16 am

BMD wrote:
So correct me if I'm wrong Ben, but it looks like the area outlined in green just pops off, right? I know the area outlined in red doesn't come off, but what about the area outlined in yellow?

BMD, that molding removal including part numbers for the molding and the clips is found here:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t707p45-write-up-paint-job

It is the 14th post on that page, the door trim is right above it and the quarter panel trim is right below it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks for chrome info guys!

nebstewart07 wrote:
... the one problem i hated with everyone elses two tone rivieras it just quit at the fenders and made it appear the just put on a black hood. i tried to incorporate the two tone scheme on every piece that was removable besides the bumpers to make sure it didnt appear that i did the two tone without painting.

Ben, that is pretty smart theorizing. Keep it coming.
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project Number 2: Paint and Body   Project Number 2: Paint and Body - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Project Number 2: Paint and Body
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next