Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil

Go down 
+37
joshuadalegrimes
96_Juggernaut
IFallsRon
charlieRobinson
manofmany
scrhodes4942
carlos
flyineagle96
Abaddon
GMFreak8
24198tom
fieromanie
DEMonte1997
Eldo
robotennis61
Rickw
L67
98inSFl
albertj
Ironclad-454
95RiviSC
Ash
98RiviSC
curious riv
AA
vendetta
deekster_caddy
1wickedninja
akasirro
ibmoses
Mr.Riviera
99Rivman
SpaceBar
¤DoughBoy¤
1998 Riv
Fuzzy
mayfair4life187
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 7:22 am

General view is around 30-40k miles, or every 2-3 years maybe.
Back to top Go down
Ash
Enthusiast
Ash

Name : Marty
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 11:42 am

Mine had to be original. I changed it at around 66k miles, along with the coupler. Yes, that oil had quite a bad smell to it and was dark in color. At least it was nearly to the correct oil level the entire time.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
98RiviSC
98RiviSC

Name : Ryan
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 12:23 pm

Well i bought my car with 70k on it, and now i have 106k. I think its time to change, i dunno if it was even changed before that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062162
98RiviSC
98RiviSC

Name : Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 12:23 pm

Well i bought my car with 70k on it, and now i have 106k. I think its time to change, i dunno if it was even changed before that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062162
95RiviSC
95RiviSC

Name : Jose

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 1:24 am

Will the car suffer from certain symptoms if the supercharger oil is not changed?

I have 100,000 on mine (bought it with 97) and didn't know that oil had to be changed.

Last edited by 95RiviSC on Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.clublakers.com
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 3:38 am

Probably not a problem, but it's easy to do and doesn't cost much. At least check the level and make sure there's still some in there!

I've heard of a VW bug's engine running 70k miles without a single oil change. You can probably guess what happened in the end.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

Name : Nate
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 2:57 pm

Well, it looks like I get the opportunity to see what the inside of my supercharger looks like. I went down town and ran a few erands and it ran like a top. It was filthy so I gave it a bath and cleaned the engine bay since it looked like one of the plagues of egypt (think locusts, lol) from a recent trip. When I got in and started it the SES light came on I got out and heard the dreaded rocks in the intake sound. I've got a kit coming from Intense, thank goodness it doesn't sound like a complicated procedure.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 3:02 pm

a bad coupler will not set a SES light. it sounds like you got a sensor wet when you washed the motor down.
Get the code read and let us know what it is!

Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 3:16 pm

I wondered about that. Did I screw something up? The Traction control light was on yesterday, but its now off, might that have something to do with it?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 3:22 pm

Probably not irreversible. Point is you have to read the code and let us know. It is usually the case that washing the engine causes no problems. However - when I do it I cover the alternator, the coil pack, and the electronics on the firewall with aluminum foil scraps.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 3:29 pm

I'll have to call a shop, I don't have access to one. Thanks Mr. Riviera and albertj, I'll get back to you.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 4:26 pm

Many auto parts stores will read your codes for free, check around before giving a shop $50.
Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 4:42 pm

I called around and got prices, I think I'll call oriellys or napa before giving up 80 bucks on something that might be a false alarm.
Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 8:59 pm

Okay SES light went out, I tried tracking down a scanner, Carquest and Napa said no, Oriellys was stolen, and Oriellys bought out Checker. Oriellys did give me the name and number of a guy that goes around and scans for a small fee, if it comes back I'll call him, or I may just bite the bullet and buy one. Any way thanks for the help guys.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 9:54 pm

How did you clean the engine? Sounds like you got ignition wires wet to me, and they will dry off after a few hours... probably a misfire code.

The code should still be in history, even if it's not "active". I'd be curious what the code was.
Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 10:51 pm

Well I usually use a garden hose turned way down simply to rinse, mindful of the electronics, but I got lazy and had the water up to high trying to rinse grasshopper carcasses out of the front core support. I know what I did wrong now and swear never to be that stupid again. mad

I'm still planning on checking the code eventually, I might call my old diesel instructor and see if I can sneak it in the school and use theirs.
Back to top Go down
98inSFl
Enthusiast
98inSFl

Name : Ed
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 7:26 pm

Well I was just attempting to change my SC oil and I found it nearly impossible!

You guys are thinking I MUST be some sort of ill equipped moron, well that may be true (the moron part)but I own a small shop and am a ASE Master tech!

My oil has morphed into some sort of goo that defies service, I have now broken from the "proper" method of doing this cold and still , even with the use of a shop grade vacuum siphon and a warm engine I was only able to get a small pile , yes pile sucked out, this stuff has a higher viscosity then the old STP or lucas , unfortunately it seems to be fortified with metal, so I just replaced the little fluid I got out with mobil 1 0W30 and will try again tomorrow.

This is now a challenge !
No I am not interested in or have the moment to pull my car off the road and I realize my snout will eventually have to come off for service, but for now I will bring the car into the shop after a good WOT run and try again.

I wish this forum hosted pics as I have no photobucket acct to show this goo to you.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 7:31 pm

You should not run 0w30 in the SC. I understand if you are just trying to mix it with the current goo to thin it out a little, but long term get the GM supercharger oil.

It is thick and smells awful coming out, but I never had a problem with my mighty-vac and some time. It does travel slow, but I had it emptied in about two or three minutes.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 7:37 pm

98inSFl wrote:
I wish this forum hosted pics as I have no photobucket acct to show this goo to you.

Try www.imageshack.us you can host pictures without an account.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 7:40 pm

I'm guessing it's likely that nobody ever checked or changed the SC oil, and some of it has leaked out through the bearings, and the rest is cooked. Hopefully the 0W30 mixes in enough to make it move again!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 7:41 pm

It could very well be that someone previous to you did put something like STP molasses in it and now it will take some thinning out, to get it all out of there and finally replace with the correct fluid.
Just because the car sat forever should not mean that the viscosity of synthetic oil has turned into goo. Someone has been in there before and you may find the only way to be comfortable with it, is a basic removal, cleaning and reinstall.
Not very hard to do.
And while you have it off put a new coupler in it for peace of mind (if it doesn't need a coupler then defer it) and use some Permatex "Anaerobic Gasket Maker" between the aluminum mating surfaces (GM recommended stuff)
And to answer one of your previous questions, the SC does not need to be timed or indexed from the motor, crank or cam in any way. It is totally independent of the engine and produces boost constantly. Unless it is unloaded by the boost by-pass valve during certain operating parameter's, so does not need indexing at all. Just remove and reinstall.
One other thing you may consider is purchasing a used set of FSM's (Factory Service Manuals) if you plan on keeping the car.
They have become invaluable to most of us.
They are available used on EBay Motors almost all the time. I think I recently copied a link to the "For Sale" Section on here for a 3 book set for the 98 Riv pretty cheap.
You need to look at EBay Motors and then look at Parts and Accessories and then Manuals drop down tabs. have seen them as cheap as $30.00 up to $70.00. Keep your eyes open for the lesser expensive ones, they are well worth it.

Last edited by Rickw on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 7:59 pm

you may be better off just pulling the snout off and cleaning it out with brake cleaner.
it's really not that hard to remove. the only thing in the way is the alternator, which is held on by like 4 bolts.

Back to top Go down
98inSFl
Enthusiast
98inSFl

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 8:22 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
You should not run 0w30 in the SC. I understand if you are just trying to mix it with the current goo to thin it out a little, but long term get the GM supercharger oil.

It is thick and smells awful coming out, but I never had a problem with my mighty-vac and some time. It does travel slow, but I had it emptied in about two or three minutes.

I only want to thin it and try every few days, no problem buying the right stuff but fear this was a existing problem when I got the car, this supercharger always has sounded like growley bearings, no change since I first fired it up and started body restoration 5 yrs ago. I now have 3000 miles more on her.

Thick? 3 minutes? Wow I wish! I got 15 min trying with a huge hand operated vacuum pump like this!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000JFJM14/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive

This car has never been tinkered with the cap had never been off , this has just gone gooey, yes I know snout removal is the only real option but there is no point pulling it , replacing the coupler and putting it back on while its growling and throwing metal flake off of something in there, I will attempt to clean it up without removal and seek a junkyard snout to clean up or rebuild and be prepared
As for manuals , I have Alldata and can get all the technical stuff from there but as a community I have the confidence that someone here has the hands on experience that no book can give.

I have owned several 3.8SC cars but never actually drove/adopted them, also my customer base seems to simply not include any SC cars so I have no long term knowledge on the finer points I hope to get from you guys.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 8:23 pm

what year is your car?
Back to top Go down
98inSFl
Enthusiast
98inSFl

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 8:27 pm

Rickw said "And to answer one of your previous questions, the SC does not need to be timed or indexed from the motor, crank or cam in any way. It is totally independent of the engine and produces boost constantly. Unless it is unloaded by the boost by-pass valve during certain operating parameter's, so does not need indexing at all. Just remove and reinstall."

I was referring to the gears between the rotors as I have never removed a snout...yet.

I have a 98 with 48,000 miles
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next