Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)

Go down 
+39
rivieralover80
al_roethlisberger
jbird
T Riley
bigROC209
crlombardi69
damnjetski
nothincame2mind
ironclyde
96_Juggernaut
Jason
QAGuy1
96riv
Abaddon
Johnny5
xxsupergman25xx
Sir Psycho Sexy
Centurion
ZEP
abaucom
ghpcnm
BMD
IBx1
charlieRobinson
bigdave
turtleman
deekster_caddy
matt270avian
llamalor2112
69GSColorado
AA
J. Chris Davis
flyineagle96
th3fr4nchi5e
stan
joshuadalegrimes
robotennis61
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 5:35 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Ha! I didn't even realize that part of it  wink 

Perhaps another thing to do with it is that this is not a brand new one...it has 4,700 miles on it. I've got it parked for the night as it's starting to rain. Can you believe it ?!?! mad

shout Still raining...
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
96riv
Fanatic
96riv

Name : Dennis
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 7:04 pm

Congrats for not buying Asian.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arizonagn.com
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 9:26 pm

96riv wrote:
Congrats for not buying Asian.

It's wayyyy more Asian than you think. Most of it comes from Korea. Doesn't change the fact that it's a sweet ride though
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 10:43 am

ghpcnm wrote:
shout Still raining...

Does the Vette come equipped with a mid-life crisis kit? ya know,the blonde and the little bottle of blue pills?  tongue 
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 10:59 am

robotennis61 wrote:

ghpcnm wrote:
shout Still raining...

Does the Vette come equipped with a mid-life crisis kit? ya know,the blonde and the little bottle of blue pills?  tongue 
Hee Haw...Haven't seen it yet, but there are lots of options.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 11:35 am

clap   lmao 
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 3:18 pm

It's mine...whew !!!
If it was a DD, I would have opted for an auto, but since it's only a dry weekend car, I went with the stick although the wife isn't too happy about it. BTW, the Cruiser is gone.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 3:23 pm

ghpcnm wrote:
It's mine...whew !!!
If it was a DD, I would have opted for an auto, but since it's only a dry weekend car, I went with the stick although the wife isn't too happy about it. BTW, the Cruiser is gone.

Congrats man!

3gears 
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 3:33 pm

I must say this is the most powerful car I've ever owned

427 ci / 505 hp / Dealer claims it will do 190 mph, but I will never see that I'm sure.
It is surprisingly easy to drive and quite docile until you hammer on it. Then, hold on tight because things get moving very quickly.  smile

*LOL...I just discovered by reading the manual that it's actually 428 ci. Yet it's called a 427...go figure.

Unbelievably...it's RAINING again headbutt
I hope this isn't a bad omen.

Last edited by ghpcnm on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 10:27 pm

ghpcnm wrote:
Unbelievably...it's RAINING again headbutt 
I hope this isn't a bad omen.

Nope.Just Gods way of telling you to get the lead outa yer right foot  jesus 
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 10:49 am

Wahooo! What motor is in that one? The 3.6 or the 2.0?

I really like the Regals. Was torn about the new GS coming out when I decided on my Volt.
Back to top Go down
QAGuy1
Rookie

Name : Russ Gollen
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Hey ghpcnm,

You'll be glad you bought the 6-speed over the automatic. IMO a Corvete should be a manual. It's a sports car and should be driven like one. The 6-speed gets better gas milagage too.

I have a 2000 Magnetic Red Coupe. My friend who owns a 2000 Fixed Roof Coupe (predecessor to the Z06). He and I took a 4200 mile trip from Seattle down through the Giant Redwoods to Yosemite, Napa Valley, then over to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and then up through the Silver State Classic race road in Nevada where we got up to 177 MPH. We were on a lot of back roads throughout the trip setting our cruise control at anywhere from 80-95 MPH.

When I pulled into my driveweay at the end of the trip my gage showed 30.4 mile per gallon. Now that's impressive. Or you could own a Prius.

The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 <a href=The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 I7ig" />
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 7:51 pm

I'm liking it so far. This is an easy shifting stick shift for sure. I just don't know if I'll ever use 6th gear...LOL
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 7:56 pm

A 427! Hot damn!  wow   3gears 
Back to top Go down
QAGuy1
Rookie

Name : Russ Gollen
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 9:20 pm

Oh you'll use 6th gear. That's where the mileage comes in when you're cruising down the highway at 1500-1700 RPM.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 11:05 pm

Nice buy!

ghpcnm wrote:
I guess it's one of the perks of being a senior citizen

The guy did exactly as he should have by letting you bring the car home.

We also said we'd never buy a new car again after the 08 Sky Redline.  Trying to buy a new car when you are (or appear) young is brutal.  No dealer would take us seriously, couldn't even get a test drive.

Here are the following cars I was ready to purchase NEW and made trips to the dealership for:
04-06 Pontiac GTO: Did not come to Canada.  Dealer told me he hoped it would NOT come to Canada as he'd rather sell 15 sunfires than 1 GTO to a "guy like me" because I had lots of questions.
Pontiac G8 GXP: N/A in Canada.  Guy wanted me to buy a G8 GT sight unseen.  Said I could test drive it if I took delivery of it.  Couldn't give me a straight price even though I asked him for a cash price.  All he could do was various permutations of monthly payments, assuming I don't understand how interest works.  Told him to call me when he knew how much the car costs to purchase outright and he told me I was a time waster.
2009 Saturn Sky or Pontiac Solstice: This was for the fiancée.  Couldn't get a test drive even though they had one at the dealerships.  Was told I could test drive it if I bought it.  Sat down with one dealer (a woman) who said there were only 5 new Skys left in Canada (this was late 09 after production stopped) and asked which one we wanted.  We asked what options/colour are they and she said she didn't have time to list them for us (WTF ?). After playing a "guess who" type elimination game that clearly took longer than just telling us what was available we bargained a price, THEN claimed the student AND military discount and she said she had to go ask her manager.  We were sitting in her office facing the window and saw her go outside in her car for a smoke.  Came back and told us the manager didn't want.  Called her manager over to call her on her bullshit.  Manager told us there was no such thing as a student OR military discount and asked where we heard about it.  We showed him the splash page of the saturn page for GM Canada.  He said corporate was probably wrong and that WE would have to call them.  Ended up buying a new 08 from a dealership over the phone.  That specific dealership was ok to deal with but the overall ordeal left a really bad taste in our mouths.
2011-2013 Cadillac CTS-V wagon:  was clearly told by 2 salesmen at 2 different dealerships (once when I was in uniform) right off the bat that I couldn't afford it.  Keeping in mind that they based this entirely on my appearance.  They had no idea of my financial situation.  Brought over the manager both times who apologized, but I wasn't going to buy it from them.  Another dealership told me the pricing wasn't out for the 2013s but I could write them a BLANK CHEQUE and they could order it for me.  Add to the fact that the CTS-V costs about 20-25k more than in the USA and that did it for me.  Never again.

My father in law used to sell cars, and he has plenty of stories of guys (including him) ignoring customers who don't "look" like they have money and passing the buck to the most junior guy only to have the folks (lots of farmers) buy loaded pickups or caddies with a shoebox of musty bills.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Interesting story and I don't doubt one word of it.  Age and appearance do make a difference when you visit the dealership.

For what it's worth, FL is full of ol' geezers like myself who have a 'Vette or some other sports car of that genre on their bucket list. I think the dealerships are aware of that and cater to us somewhat. The dealership also knew that I am somewhat of a collector. Additionally, they ran my credit before, I ever drove it. While it's not perfect 800+ as some have, it's what I would call very good. All of those things play a factor, I'm sure.

robotennis61 wrote:
A 427! Hot damn! wow 3gears

The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 1110
However, it's not the 60th Anniversary Edition. I kinda wish it was for the collectible value, although I'm not fond of the 60th Anniversary Striping.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: temp   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 7:04 pm

Yup,thats a hot car and no doubt.
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 10:18 pm

My 20 year old nephew has been home here in Buffalo on Christmas break since early December. He heads back to North Carolina State tomorrow morning. He tells me this morning that his '97 BMW 540i is running rough and his check engine light has been on for some time. He wants me to check it out before he makes the 11 hour road trip back to school.
No problem I tell him. I pull it in to the shop, hook up scanner, read codes. "EIGHTEEN!" codes. a few were doubles, but 18 non the less.
So after some testing we narrow down the possibilities. Both upstream O2 sensors were shot, MAF sensor shot, spark plugs were shot and plug boots shot. Replaced all and fired her up.
Took it for a nice spirited test drive and it performed like a Beamer should. Gotta love when a repair goes well. Never in a million years would I have thought I would have this car ready for a road trip tomorrow morning. I think I just pulled a muscle patting myself on the back!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 8:21 pm

CONGRATS, Dave! Of all your recent purchases, this one is my favorite BY FAR. Good call on the 6-speed manual, too. SO... is this a de-badged Z06 or a swapped LS7? I don't think it's a Z since the brake cooling ducts are absent. Just looked up the 427 - it's like a convertible Z06. Never knew these existed!

I have been joking that my GTO is really just a plain clothes Vette with an extra 500 lbs, that doesn't handle quite as well. There's a lot of truth in that, I guess. Most GTO owners eventually upgrade to Vettes (the previous owner of mine bought a C5 Z06 the following week).

Interesting you say the shifter moves easily. The gearbox in my GTO is like shifting a truck; the clutch pedal is no easy task, either. Definitely get a work-out driving it. Now I want to try a Vette to compare. Uh-oh... what am I saying?!!!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 1:48 am

Thanks AA.
I admit, the manual was not my first choice, but quite frankly, I just fell in love with this car and the 427 version is not available with an auto. I love the color and the fact that it appears to have some collectible value for the future. Yes, it is the easiest shifting stick I've ever driven and that played a major factor. Surprisingly docile...It's obvious the power is there, but it's not a brutish feel by any means. However, my wife still hasn't tried her hand at it. BTW...This was the first decent warm, sunny day we've had to enjoy it. The weather has been unusually cold and rainy here in FL.
(Thanks for moving this to the showroom. When I initiated the thread, I didn't know I would be buying a new car)
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Reunited with my Eclipse   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 11:11 pm

So I just wanted to share that after 4 years I have been reunited with my Eclipse which I have had for many years before the riv. After sitting for almost 4 years  while stationed in Cali I came back to the east and took the cover off her, charged the battery and after some sputtering she started right up! The interior is trashed by mildew and mold but I took her around the block and this thing still absolutely rips! first gear I completely loose the tires, and with some break-boosting in second gear the tires melt away as well ( 16psi ). I forgot how fast this thing was and even with the old gas its clear this car has a will to live. I'm thinking about removing all the interior ( already stripped the carpet) and making it a purpose only "fun car". However the riv is still going to be my DD. But this Eclipse has to much potential to pass up.
The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 0119140941a_zps8a7d5487
The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 0119140940_zps43c0e5e2
The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 0119140942_zpsc89979ea
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 9:10 am

That's awesome! I would love to have a track-only car for fun.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 1:38 pm

Glad it survived, the engine bay looks immaculate(relatively)!
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 6:54 pm

IBx1 wrote:
Glad it survived, the engine bay looks immaculate(relatively)!
Yea it looks good for the most part but alot of the rubber hoses have mold on them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)   The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II) - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Other Showroom: Current / Past Rides (Pt II)
Page 5 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next