Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Exhaust tips?

Go down 
+55
BMD
BrianEsser
florence_x
VJD2
Abaddon
Rickw
Snowdog
DEMonte1997
L67
ewolfe0050
ghost88
97rivsc
#1BearsFan
deekster_caddy
sburch23
KillaKeninaRiv
riviera2454
manofmany
1wickedninja
SuperRiv07
Chicken
IBx1
Ridin-Rivi
ibmoses
99 Riviera 99
oldsman105
Sag
robotennis61
nothincame2mind
albertj
TonySmooth89
Shintsu
palermocorey90
Andysdorm
jrocha
99Rivman
jimmyriv
turtleman
97rivman
97Riv-Jon
SpaceBar
Buapo
Jack the R
Orca
ender467
racinfan
1998 Riv
TType_Riviera
¤DoughBoy¤
jax95riv
Mr.Riviera
xxsupergman25xx
AA
T Riley
Jason
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Exhaust tips? - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 4:20 pm

VJD2 wrote:
Jack the R wrote:
VJD2 wrote:
Talk about a piping nightmare under there to get the tips in that position!

You'd put a single glasspack type muffler in front of the "T", take out everything from the "T" on back and run a single pipe straight out the back. There was a Riv owner on RegalGS.org who did it.

Hmmm, didn't think of that but then again I haven't really looked at how our exhaust are setup yet. I'm still a fan of the dual unless this was executed really well.

We don't have a true dual exhaust. From the headers the exhaust flows into one big pipe down the center of the car. At the rear wheels there's a "T" that splits the exhaust off to the fake dual tip arrangement. There's been some debate as to whether the backpressure this "T" produces is beneficial or not. If you wanted the freeest flowing exhaust, you'd take out the T and run a new exhaust out under the center of the bumper.

The center quad setup isn't as ridiculous for our cars as it may first seem. We've got the heritage from the C5/6, which you could build on by putting Corvette calipers in front, and our exhaust comes routed for a center exit. The dual exhaust look is actually "rice" - it's done purely for looks, not performance. I think I prefer it as well, but I wouldn't knock a well done center exit exhaust on a Riv. One of the forum members pchopped a version with two fat tips that looked like it would be sweet. I don't think he ever did anything with it, but it was a neat idea.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 5:23 pm

There are some functional reasons, in addition to aesthetic ones, for splitting the exhaust into T near the rear. Weight distribution is one. Dual mufflers, tips, piping, mounting hardware, and the T itself puts quite a bit of weight right near the rear of the car. This helps counter the front heavy nature of our cars. It's a small thing, but added up with other small things, like the battery, ELC pump, and aluminum hood, it does make a difference.

Another thing, a dual exhaust is quieter than a single one, because you can use two silencers, 3 including the resonator, instead of one muffler with a single exhaust. For any given dual exhaust, it will flow better than an equally quiet single exhaust, even with the T split.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 12:22 am

AA wrote:
There are some functional reasons, in addition to aesthetic ones, for splitting the exhaust into T near the rear. Weight distribution is one. Dual mufflers, tips, piping, mounting hardware, and the T itself puts quite a bit of weight right near the rear of the car. This helps counter the front heavy nature of our cars. It's a small thing, but added up with other small things, like the battery, ELC pump, and aluminum hood, it does make a difference.
I wonder could the average driver notice these differences.
Most likely not, being driven on the street. Maybe in the lab or an extremely experienced road course driver.
But an extremely experienced road coarse driver would not pick the Riv as a car to drive.
So, for regular street or straight line strip driving a single exhaust system will be great. If that's what they want.
But I don't believe it will be a noticeable difference in handling character differences.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:26 am

Part of me can see the "Ultimate pursuit of perfection" argument, but the greater part wants to call - well, I'll be restrained and say I stick by my earlier opinion that the dual tip layout is purely for appearance. wink If the engineers were that concerned about the weight balance they could have put the battery next to the spare and gotten more weight on the rear with less weight overall. Probably not the best arrangement for traction in a high power (for the time) FWD car though. Could get better handling results still by using the FE2 or FE3 suspension packages, with less engineering effort. Or by using the Caddy STB we all love so much.

Let's face it, they just didn't care that much about the Riv's handling.

As for sound, the 2000 Mercedes CLK 430 w/ 275 hp 295 tq V8 had a single exhaust set up. It's a Mercedes, it couldn't have been terribly loud inside. Maybe Mercedes used expensive sound deadening material and the 2nd muffler is a cheaper solution? I dunno, but I'm not buying this argument as an explanation for our setup. It's for looks.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 8:49 am

Quote :
Let's face it, they just didn't care that much about the Riv's handling.
Strongly disagree. I think they cared. I think they had ideas, some of which were employed over the 8th gen Riv's short lifespan. I don't think they ever got there. For a '90s car of its size and weight, I don't consider it a horrible handling car.

The rear-shifted weight does make a difference when you add it all up, and although the average driver may not notice, the engineers did this stuff for a purpose. I am referring to the intent, not the result, but INTENSE and ZZP have noted the G-Body cars are harder to launch off the line than W-Bodies, due to the G-Bodies having less weight over the front wheels. That weight went somewhere - it went to the rear of the car.

I think the 8th gen Riviera was designed with good handling in mind. It certainly was not perfected, but they changed several aspects of steering and suspension geometry over the 5 year production period, all seem to improve handling ability. I don't think they ever got there, but it appears they tried. Why else would you firm up the feel of the steering wheel? There's no one-finger steering in this '98. The new Acura I drove the other day had looser steering.

The FE2/FE3 suspension thing has a lot to do with the perceived feel of the ride, which they wanted to keep soft for obvious reasons. It's possible to have a soft suspension that still has good road-holding manners. In a hard corner, the Riviera sticks decently. I think that's what they were trying to do - a comfortable car, nimble for its size, and for its time. I mean, an aluminum hood? Come on. That's pretty hard-core for not caring about weight balance. It's also not cheap, and no one would know it's there. A friend of mine mentioned his Honda S2000 (50/50 wt. dist) has an aluminum hood; he couldn't believe it when I told him the Riviera had one. And the battery, no it's not in the trunk, but it's 2/3 way there - that's a strong indicator that they might have put it in the trunk if there wasn't something stopping them. Maybe they had to compromise, or maybe they decided a central location was better for some other reason.

Yes, I think Mercedes spent more on the best performing solution for that exhaust. Isn't the CLK a RWD set-up? They were probably thinking they didn't need any more weight back there. And you're right, MB uses massive amounts of sound deadening in their cars, probably more than Buick. They are some very heavy (and quiet) cars.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 12:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM73fPXgbks
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:19 pm

Hmmmm, it doesn't look to bad at all really. Would like to see some pics from different angles.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:39 pm

I didn't say GM didn't care about the Riv's handling at all, I said they didn't care about it enough to add a 2nd muffler and pipe as a handling improvement. We know what the upper bound on their concern is - a brace that cost us $18 retail and cost them probably two or three bucks. The extra exhaust pipe and muffler costs more than the STB, and there's no way the 2nd muffler improves handling as much as the STB does.

If the Riv had come with a single tip exhaust, what would you do yourself to improve handling? 2nd muffler? C'mon. The only reason you'd put that second muffler on is for looks.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:48 pm

I don't think something like an exhaust system can ever be decided over a single concern. There are too many considerations, and likely multiple reasons they used the split exhaust. No, it's not entirely about handling, but it's part of it. When they sat down to decide, they probably considered all kinds of scenarios, and the split dual exhaust made the most sense. It's quiet, and it shifts weight to the back, and it looks more aggressive, true. But it's not ALL just about looks, so I can't call it R.I.C.E.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 11:39 am

For those of you who wanted to know. I got a P/N for my exhaust tips.
They are listed as such.....

P/N 12498009 EXTENSION 2004 - PONTIAC - GRAND PRIX

Gmpartsdirect shows them for around $105. Apparently, I was a lil off on the price. I got them for free, as our dealer was throwing away old stock wtf
I recall our parts guy telling me $350, which would be double. Lil misunderstanding I spose. List price for the pair is $160, and I can still get them for $135. GMpartsdirect would be the way to go.

Exhaust tips? - Page 11 100_1024
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Jack the R wrote:
I didn't say GM didn't care about the Riv's handling at all, I said they didn't care about it enough to add a 2nd muffler and pipe as a handling improvement. We know what the upper bound on their concern is - a brace that cost us $18 retail and cost them probably two or three bucks. The extra exhaust pipe and muffler costs more than the STB, and there's no way the 2nd muffler improves handling as much as the STB does.

If the Riv had come with a single tip exhaust, what would you do yourself to improve handling? 2nd muffler? C'mon. The only reason you'd put that second muffler on is for looks.

AA wrote:
I don't think something like an exhaust system can ever be decided over a single concern. There are too many considerations, and likely multiple reasons they used the split exhaust. No, it's not entirely about handling, but it's part of it. When they sat down to decide, they probably considered all kinds of scenarios, and the split dual exhaust made the most sense. It's quiet, and it shifts weight to the back, and it looks more aggressive, true. But it's not ALL just about looks, so I can't call it R.I.C.E.

Not sure why they did it (duals) in this case BUT I did notice:

- it shifts a little weight to theback, maybe another ~20-30 lbs
- probably more impoertant, it lets you put toghether a nearly silent exhaust that is free-flowing in the relevant range.

IIRC we'd want 250-300 CFM flow thru our exhaust. A free flowing exhaust that capacity would have 2 1/2 in. or larger pipes, at smallest, which would likely drone like a bored professor. But by splitting the exhaust they get the flow of a large tube (two 1 7/8" pipes would freely flow in excess of 300 CFM taken together) with the quieter volume of a small one. The bend introduces restriction but nothing that impinges on the target flow rate, and you can use a quiet but somewhat restrictive muffler and still not impinge on the target flow rate--taken together from the Y aft of the resonator.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 2:13 am

THREAD RESURRECTION.

I didn't read through the thread, but has anyone ever cut up into the valence thing on the bumper cover and had their tips tucked up there? I think if you did a clean job it could look cool.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 9:46 am

I refer you to 2 posts above yours.....
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 9:54 am

Your install definitely looks really clean, but I'm talking about actually cutting out a portion of the grey so there is a cove up to the body color, then having the tips in there. Like, so the bottom of the tip sits flush with the bottom of the valence. I hope that makes some sense haha.

Do you think that would look like trash?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 10:02 am

No, I don't, as I was going to do the same thing. However, the spare tire well is in the way, and so is the rear bumper support. That's as high as I could get them. Notice how the mufflers are cocked? That's all the room I had  frown 
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 11:06 am

Sqrivi did, but he had a full custom front and rear bumper.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 11:39 am

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
Your install definitely looks really clean, but I'm talking about actually cutting out a portion of the grey so there is a cove up to the body color, then having the tips in there. Like, so the bottom of the tip sits flush with the bottom of the valence. I hope that makes some sense haha.

Yeah, you would have to do some re-routing and work around things like the spare tire well, but it is probably do-able.  If done well, it would look pretty nice.  Especially if you could find some chrome or stainless inserts/rings to put into the cutouts so they looked stock/pro and not just like some guy cut out holes with a dremel  wink 

I bet you could source some faux exahaust tips "rings" from another model car that has the exhaust coming through a bumper/valence.  A lot of recent cars seem to have that styling feature now.

Al
Back to top Go down
69GSColorado
Fanatic
69GSColorado

Name : Jordon
Merit : 29

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 12:26 pm

Scott, would you care to post some close up pics of your tips? Are they rolled on the edges? I like the look of the dual-tip setup.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 10:06 pm

al_roethlisberger wrote:

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:

Yeah, you would have to do some re-routing and work around things like the spare tire well, but it is probably do-able.  If done well, it would look pretty nice.  Especially if you could find some chrome or stainless inserts/rings to put into the cutouts so they looked stock/pro and not just like some guy cut out holes with a dremel  wink 

I bet you could source some faux exahaust tips "rings" from another model car that has the exhaust coming through a bumper/valence.  A lot of recent cars seem to have that styling feature now.

Al

That's a very good idea Al. I think it could definitely look great if I take my time and do it right. We will see if I decide to actually go for it or not.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 8:16 am

69GSColorado wrote:
Scott, would you care to post some close up pics of your tips? Are they rolled on the edges? I like the look of the dual-tip setup.

The tips are nothing more than the nice(r) Grand Prix tips that you probably see every day. The P/N is listed a few posts above. They are actual stainless...no rolls or anything, just welds.

Psycho, good luck. I'm tellin you, there isn't enough room unless you buy tiny mufflers. The rear pinch-weld (rear bulkhead?) is in the way and won't allow you to go any higher, and there isn't enough room between the spare tire well and the frame to tuck a standard size muffler up there. I've thought about cutting the spare tire well out for more room. Get under your car and look. You'll see what I mean.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Exhaust tips?
Page 11 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11