Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge

Go down 
+73
RidzRiv
1997riv
bigdave
bmcd9179
stan
joshuadalegrimes
charlieRobinson
Fromano
matt270avian
Johnny5
al_roethlisberger
BKRIV
Rod.G
ghost88
rk0ehn
J. Chris Davis
GreenMonster
GreenSupreme
VJD2
7901mark
Snowdog
Its a car part now
GMFreak8
brmcm15
Hometown Hero
L67
Ryan from Ohio
LARRY70GS
96Super
robotennis61
texasfan010
woggy
Rickw
Fuzzy
rivboy
97rivsc
lyonsperformance
1wickedninja
SuperRiv07
gliderguy
agood1
deekster_caddy
albertj
Supercharged
blackbart95
99 Riviera 99
IBx1
palermocorey90
mr.19982tone
Jack the R
98riv
RIVhorsepwr
RivMan
okiedrifter
jimmyriv
AA
97rivman
RhinoFLA
urbsnspices
dreww
SpaceBar
NO 4 EVR
Jason
TType_Riviera
turtleman
pwmin
jax95riv
Mr.Riviera
oldsman105
1998 Riv
T Riley
77 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
96Super

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 4:09 am

1998 Riv wrote:
Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 Boost7

Does anyone have a pic of replacing the 4 tape drawers with gauges? I don't even have tapes anymore lol
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 6:27 pm

Got one permanently mounted in my 1970 GS455 Stage1, and the Riv has a vacuum/Boost gauge and oil pressure gauge where the Ashtray used to be.

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 Boost7

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 GaugeTrio
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 6:31 pm

How easy or difficult is it to mount gauges in the ashtray area?
Does the ashtray door still work to cover the gauges.?
I'd like to put a couple of gauges in myself, specifically I'd like a vacuum / boost gauge and a voltmeter at least.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 6:50 pm

Rickw wrote:
How easy or difficult is it to mount gauges in the ashtray area?
Does the ashtray door still work to cover the gauges.?
I'd like to put a couple of gauges in myself, specifically I'd like a vacuum / boost gauge and a voltmeter at least.

The ashtray and CD holders pop right out. They clip in as one piece. Nothing else holds them in. Just grab a hold of that whole piece and pull. It will come right out. The door works normally. I can cover the gauges and it looks stock. The door actually over closed without the ashtray there so I mounted a rubber bumper at each end. You can see them in the picture I posted. I had to cut out some of the plastic to mount an Autometer 2 gauge panel in that space. I used a few screws to hold the panel in. You can see them also in the picture.
Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

Name : Ryan
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 9:36 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
If you attach a vacuum gauge to the motor. You should see about 20" at idle fully warmed up in Park. Run the engine at about 2500 rpm for about 15 seconds. If vacuum drops during this period and does not increase when you close the throttle, you're almost certainly looking at a restricted exhaust.

Forgive my idiotness.

Where do I attach a vacuum gauge at?

A friend may have one I can borrow. Just need a little more detail on this step.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 11:26 am

Ryan from Ohio wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
If you attach a vacuum gauge to the motor. You should see about 20" at idle fully warmed up in Park. Run the engine at about 2500 rpm for about 15 seconds. If vacuum drops during this period and does not increase when you close the throttle, you're almost certainly looking at a restricted exhaust.

Forgive my idiotness.

Where do I attach a vacuum gauge at?

A friend may have one I can borrow. Just need a little more detail on this step.

There should be a tap on the intake manifold somewhere where you can attach a gauge. On the Supercharged engines, it's towards the back of the engine. It has a rubber cap on it. Shouldn't be that hard to figure out. When you remove the rubber cap, it will hiss from the vacuum created. Ask your friend with the gauge to show you.

You can see the tap in this picture

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img166/6730/img0132ol9.jpg
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 1:03 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
There should be a tap on the intake manifold somewhere where you can attach a gauge. On the Supercharged engines, it's towards the back of the engine. It has a rubber cap on it. Shouldn't be that hard to figure out. When you remove the rubber cap, it will hiss from the vacuum created. Ask your friend with the gauge to show you.

You can see the tap in this picture

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img166/6730/img0132ol9.jpg

yay Thats my engine bay from way back when! Good ol' stock days...
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 2:02 pm

Anybody know how to hook up a gauge where the CD player in a '95 would normally be? If it's being blanked with a 1DIN plate, can I mount the gauge onto that?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 2:25 pm

There are lots of ways to do it, but a simple way is to make a flat panel out of a thin piece of plastic or metal and mount the gauge(s) in holes. Then you mount the panel where the CD player was. A plastic material that's easy to work with is styrene sheet. .080" or .100" thickness would work. It's easy to cut, you can paint it, and can even bend it if you heat it up. It won't kink or crease like metal.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 2:30 pm

Well, the next time I'm really home with my car is the Winter break, so it's all wishful thinking for now. I'll keep note of that but I'm wondering how to run the vacuum lines and how to tap into the wiring for the gauge lights.

This is what I'm considering:
http://www.amazon.com/White-Color-Boost-Vacuum-Gauge/dp/B000UO5OIE/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1256060206&sr=1-26

Comes with a T-fitting, 6' of nylon vacuum hose, and full installation instructions, although I'll be asking you guys for help instead.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 10:12 am

I'm thinking about putting an aftermarket stereo in place of my CD player at the bottom of the center console and blanking out the top 1.5DIN radio slot.

If I want to mount the gauge on a blanking plate up by the radio, what's the best way to run the vacuum line, and how exactly do you wire the gauge lights in with the car?
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 11:02 am

Thats the perfect setup ! I was thinking about a pod column along the door but I think alot more time would have to be invested in that than just the way you showed and your looks much cleaner fit n finish.

I went ahead and ordered a Cobalt Digital auto meter 30/30 vac/boost gauge. I had thought the same at first as IBX1, but opted to put my remote bass knobs for my amp and epicenter where the cd player was, and then a gps hidden in behind the Flip lid covering the ashtray/lighter compartment. Just threw the new headunit where the old tape deck was. Looks mighty fine.

Just gotta figure out how to post some pics for you guys. Can't be that hard to do. razz
Back to top Go down
brmcm15
brmcm15

Name : Brandon
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 5:48 pm

does anyone have any of the pictures???

there not there anymore frown
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 5:54 pm

I emailed Mark. Maybe he still has the images and can re-post.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
blackbart95
Enthusiast
blackbart95

Name : Mark
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 6:32 pm

images are back up!
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 9:23 pm

Would this gauge work as a boost guage? http://www.sunpro.com/product_detail.php?pid=16365

I'm going to eventually be doing this mod, but I want all my gauges to match and this is the only gauge that also has matching sisters for voltage, amperage, and oil pressure that I can find.

What's the difference between a vacuum gauge and a boost gauge? Why does the gauge in the pictures above have a 0 starting place along with boost and vac to the left and right? Sorry about the stupid questions, but I figured I need to start somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 9:43 pm

This is not a BOOST gauge, only reads vacuum (in Hg) just reads it from the bottom up.
Seems backwards, but that is how it is calibrated.
Keep looking for something better.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 10:05 pm

Rickw wrote:
This is not a BOOST gauge, only reads vacuum (in Hg) just reads it from the bottom up.
Seems backwards, but that is how it is calibrated.
Keep looking for something better.

Wait, I'm confused. Are you talking about the gauge I linked to or the one in this thread?

What would be your recommendation?
Back to top Go down
Its a car part now

Name : Michael
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 2:47 am

The gauge you linked to is a vacuum gauge. The gauge in the write up is a boost/vacuum gauge. A vacuum gauge shows how much the pressure in manifold is below barometric( at idle, part throttle, cruise, n/a motor). A boost gauge shows how far above barometric the supercharger is pushing into engine. A vacuum/boost shows both with zero in middle.

The site you linked to has a vacuum/boost gauge in the "black styleline" line. There is also a amp, oil pressure and volt gauge in same style. The vacuum/boost is 270* sweep, others are 60* sweep (oil gauge is available in 270*, but is mechanical, so there is risk of hot, pressurized oil spraying in interior if leak starts). Besides sweep they look the same.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 8:45 am

Another manufacturer to look at that has gauge faces like that one would be Stewart-Warner or SW.
Remember to look for Boost-Vacuum gauge.
0 will be in the middle with 30 in Hg on one side and 30 psi on other side of 0.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 9:42 am

I've always like this one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SWW-114536/

from 30 in Hg, to 15 psi, it would have a nice sweep when you get into the boost.

Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Karma wrote:
I've always like this one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SWW-114536/

from 30 in Hg, to 15 psi, it would have a nice sweep when you get into the boost.
I like this one also. The 15 psi boost side would give a better sweep.
I can't seem to find info on the kind of back-lighting it has on this site. Probably have to go to Stewart Warner's site.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 2:58 pm

Picked up these 2 for the Pearl. I'll install them in the spring.

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?ref=search&gid=3811

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=3284&sid=4

Thinking they would look best stashed here the ashtray is currently. Non smoking car so what sense is there to have the ashtray?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 5:01 pm

Hometown Hero wrote:
Picked up these 2 for the Pearl.
What do you mean by the Pearl.?
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 5:14 pm

Rickw wrote:
Hometown Hero wrote:
Picked up these 2 for the Pearl.
What do you mean by the Pearl.?

I'm pretty sure he calls his car "the Black Pearl"

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge
Page 8 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next