Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge

Go down 
+73
RidzRiv
1997riv
bigdave
bmcd9179
stan
joshuadalegrimes
charlieRobinson
Fromano
matt270avian
Johnny5
al_roethlisberger
BKRIV
Rod.G
ghost88
rk0ehn
J. Chris Davis
GreenMonster
GreenSupreme
VJD2
7901mark
Snowdog
Its a car part now
GMFreak8
brmcm15
Hometown Hero
L67
Ryan from Ohio
LARRY70GS
96Super
robotennis61
texasfan010
woggy
Rickw
Fuzzy
rivboy
97rivsc
lyonsperformance
1wickedninja
SuperRiv07
gliderguy
agood1
deekster_caddy
albertj
Supercharged
blackbart95
99 Riviera 99
IBx1
palermocorey90
mr.19982tone
Jack the R
98riv
RIVhorsepwr
RivMan
okiedrifter
jimmyriv
AA
97rivman
RhinoFLA
urbsnspices
dreww
SpaceBar
NO 4 EVR
Jason
TType_Riviera
turtleman
pwmin
jax95riv
Mr.Riviera
oldsman105
1998 Riv
T Riley
77 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 6:34 pm

Just my corny nickname for the car... The Black Pearl aka the Pearl.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 6:41 pm

I want to eventually mount a couple of gauges in the ashtray area also.
Where do you get the black plastic or ABS to make a gauge panel.???
I was thinking of going to where they do custom car stereo installs and ask for a small piece of the necessary size.
Would that be the place to go.???
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 6:54 pm

I haven't yet decided on ABS plastic or just a custom metal plate. We have a fabrication shop in town here & my buddy works there called Breal Metal. I think I'll have him whip up something crisp lookin. Maybe get Riviera stamped or etched in, paint it black but leave the scribe machined. Shouldn't be crazy expensive its only a small piece. I just think plastic looks so cheap is all. Doesn't suit a loaded car.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 6:59 pm

When you decide to do that, let me know what you've decided on. I may want to duplicate the order if you don't mind.
That would definitely look more classy.
Rick
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 7:03 pm

yeah 4 sure I can get a better a deal that way on them 2. do you want the etching or stamped Riviera badge aswell on yours? If any1 else is thinking of it or interested let me know we can piece together a decent order for him at least then.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 8:37 pm

I don't know about etching or stamped yet. Will have to give it a little thought.
What are you leaning toward.
When you say etching, are you referring to a mechanical etch that is computer controlled for accuracy or hand etching.???
I'm serious about getting this done though and you have the car up there to provide all the correct dimensions needed.
I think it will be cool.
What type of material are you leaning toward, Aluminum, Stainless, or just plain steel.
I just re-read your idea on painted steel and then etched, that could be cool looking also. Please let me know what your ideas are.?

You have a 95, I'll have to measure my 98 and make sure they are the same dimensions.!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 11:12 pm

It would be laser etched. If Breal Metal for some reason cannot do it there is a place about 20 minutes away called Danik Machine they specialize in machining billet aluminum, etc. Pretty sure it'd be a breeze for them. As for the Riv logo I had thought either the standard Riviera handwritten style badging etched in, or maybe a the classic R logo, maybe even Rivperformance.com, or Riviera Performance if the boss approves lol? Really I hadn't decided on material but aluminum would be pretty narley. Will probably be doing it as soon as the car hits the road this spring so we got time to get something concrete hammered out. Pm me with dimensions to verify they are the same, and any ideas you may have as well. 2 minds are better than 1 maybe you have somthing in mind as well I'm all ears. If any1 else is interested just pm me.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 11:17 pm

I kinda like the classic -R- logo as well.
Tasteful and understated, just like all the other logo's on the car.
Just some initial thoughts, like you said we have time to figure this out and sketch it up.

A plate the width of the ashtray will hold 3 gauges, if we only install 2 on the outside edges and put the -R- in the middle.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 4:22 pm

I think that would look sharp!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 6:00 pm

Klix,
I like the gauges you chose, the Autometer Cobalts. I'm leaning toward the Autometer Nexus line. I have a brand new Nexus Boost-Vacuum gauge that was just about given to me. Guy owed me some money, so I took the gauge in payment. Still in original box with all hardware and wiring, etc.
The only problem with the Nexus line is you have to buy the controller (sensor module w/remote) to operate any of them. So I would have to invest in the controller plus one more gauge, probably a voltmeter or oil pressure gauge. I'll keep my eyes open on Ebay for a deal or just sell this one on Ebay. It Retails new for $249.00 the last time I checked.
Have you had a look at their Nexus stuff, it's a very nice product but very pricey.
Can't wait to finish the design of this mounting plate. I think it will look very good on the interior. Nice Custom Touch.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 12:00 pm

My plan was I had hoped to keep the existing flip up / hide away "dummy panel" covering the ashtray and lighter socket in the car. I will really only need these gauges part time, so I had thought it'd be cool to have a kind of stow away set-up. Flip the lid when your ready to use em and behind the lid you would have the machined billet plate n gauges where the ashtray n lighter used to be. I am sure the guys at breal or Danik will also have some good ideas. I will get mine made up and photo graph it before install, you can tell me what you would like the same, and what differences you'd like on yours. Then I will have that 1 made and can ship it out to you. Sound good?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 1:33 pm

My plan is to keep the flip up door as well.
So keep me/us posted on what you come up with.
That all sounds good to me.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 10:57 am

Its a car part now wrote:
The gauge you linked to is a vacuum gauge. The gauge in the write up is a boost/vacuum gauge. A vacuum gauge shows how much the pressure in manifold is below barometric( at idle, part throttle, cruise, n/a motor). A boost gauge shows how far above barometric the supercharger is pushing into engine. A vacuum/boost shows both with zero in middle.

The site you linked to has a vacuum/boost gauge in the "black styleline" line. There is also a amp, oil pressure and volt gauge in same style. The vacuum/boost is 270* sweep, others are 60* sweep (oil gauge is available in 270*, but is mechanical, so there is risk of hot, pressurized oil spraying in interior if leak starts). Besides sweep they look the same.

Thanks so much for clarifying that. I appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 11:02 am

AA wrote:
There are lots of ways to do it, but a simple way is to make a flat panel out of a thin piece of plastic or metal and mount the gauge(s) in holes. Then you mount the panel where the CD player was. A plastic material that's easy to work with is styrene sheet. .080" or .100" thickness would work. It's easy to cut, you can paint it, and can even bend it if you heat it up. It won't kink or crease like metal.
AA, where would I or anyone else be able to buy Styrene sheet stock from.???
I need some for my upcoming stereo and gauge install as well as a project for my motorcycle.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 12:48 pm

Well, I was gunna take my Riv in to get that gauge plate machined for it a week ago. Unfortunately we had a tragic death in the family, and I am left in charge of my Uncles estate. Pretty well gobbled up the next 4-6 months of my personal time and gave me a few extra bills.

Now its snowing again for the last 3 days after it just finished melting away for the winter. The Rivi is sitting under a nice white blanket in the driveway. Once the snow melts again, & I get everything squared away with the lawyers and everything I will get the ball rolling again. Talked to the machinist when he came in yesterday he said it prolly won't be that expensive 2 make, its just such a small piece.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 1:07 pm

I order large quantities (4'x8' sheet) from American Plastic Distributors here in Columbus, OH:

http://www.americanplasticdistributors.com/

Or, you can visit a local hobby store like Hobby Land (not Hobby Lobby). They sell smaller quantities for model railroaders, usually 12x6" pieces. Many thicknesses are available. Here's a place online that sells the same:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDL97&P=FR

Make sure you order the correct thickness for your application.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Klix,
I am so sorry to here about your Uncles passing.
Obviously you have more important things to tend to than installing some gauges in the car.
If I get a little further along and make one out of plastic material I will still want to replace it with what we have discussed.
Once again, so very sorry about your loss.
Rick
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanx Rick, I will definately keep you posted as things move along. Gotta pick up and carry on as they say, just wanted to put it out there that there may be a little delay on the gauge plate. I know you were interested and I haven't forgotten about ya.

Thanx again for your condolences.
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge   Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 3:53 pm

i installed into mine swOOsh turbo gauge whit 7 changeble colors.
keeping it allways on green.
Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge - Page 9 Photo039k

those 3 from Auto gauge would look cool when installed into the centre concol into same place where **1998 Riv** had hes.