Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions

Go down 
+32
IFallsRon
al_roethlisberger
moldymac
Nez
Abaddon
Joby70739
DEMonte1997
robotennis61
97rivsc
manofmany
duster_do_little
Rickw
millerje18
Sweepspear
ibmoses
Shintsu
baynes72
1wickedninja
Chicken
captshiner
96rivgirlla
Mr.Riviera
texasfan010
deekster_caddy
turtleman
TonySmooth89
BillBoost37
albertj
Jason
Jack the R
AA
1998 Riv
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 6:16 pm

Rib number 6 totally let go this afternoon. Knew I should have just cut the F'ing thing off yesterday. Gouged a nice big hole in my new $85 hood liner. NOT a happy camper here...

Anyway, I pulled into an Applebee's lot and yanked out the pieces, drove home and got out the utility knife and cut off the rest of it. Sure runs quieter now, and has more power NA than I expected. I wonder if my SC bearings are going bad as well, considering the lack of noise, and I'm not talking about SC whine.

At least I now have all the pulleys and belts I need when it warms up here.
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

Merit : 1

PostSubject: loose pulley   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 9:48 am

I have a 1996 SC riv and one of my pulleys is either loose or wobbling because the bearing inside it is bad. i have found what pulley it is but i dont know if it is the idler pulley or what. I dont want to buy the wrong pulley. it is 3" in diameter and it is a smooth pulley(no ribs). its located below the SC pulley but closer to the front of the car. i think its the closest smooth pulley to the SC pulley. can any1 tell me if i was right? is that the idler pulley?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 11:15 am

it sounds like the s/c tensioner pulley to me. there are several topics about replacing the belts and pulleys with pictures and diagrams.

Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 11:17 am

Yep, that sounds like the SC tensioner pulley. Easy to replace, look for the topics Matthew mentioned.
Back to top Go down
texasfan010
Enthusiast
texasfan010

Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 1:48 pm

does anyone no where i can get one on short notice like napa or autozone and which one would i get.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 2:04 pm

Dealership will be expensive at around $50. If you look around, you can find one for about half. I have an extra, brand new GM part. PM me if you are interested.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
96rivgirlla
Amateur

Name : magen
Merit : 0

PostSubject: s/c tensioner pulley broke off?   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 3:14 pm

hey guys, so i was under the hood yesterday figuring out all the parts i will need in addition to ma new engine, and the pulley that is missing that i thought was the supercharger pulley is actually the tensioner pulley. Does anyone know how that could have broken off? The bolt at the end is still there and there are 2 pcs of metal that look kinda like washers left where the pulley should be. I had to have the belts changed about 6months before the engine died (charged me $500 btw) so if that has something to do with it, should i be able to get compensated from the dealership you think?
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

Name : Andrew
Merit : -1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 3:30 pm

I don't think you'll get anything from the dealer, they changed the belts. Unless they inspected all the pulleys and said they were fine, you won't get a dime from them. By the way, you were WAAAAAAAAAAY overcharged for a simple belt change. If you look through this forum, you can find the procedure for replacing belts and pulleys. $500 is REDICULOUS you can get all the parts you need for less than half of that and do it yourself in an afternoon.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572362129
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 3:38 pm

$500 isn't really overcharging, especially in LA, although you can do it for less if you DIY. It takes at around 4 hours to do the job, which a mechanic will charge $ for time. Some people think that paying someone else is getting ripped off, but not everyone wants to or is able to work on their own cars.

The pulleys start to go out at about 85-100k miles on most of our cars. Two of mine fragged within a thousand miles of each other. Others have reported the same, so it's a predictable failure. We advise replacing all of your pulleys after 85k miles.

Here is a list of failures commonly seen in the Riviera. Probably something about the pulleys in here:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/care-maintenance-f8/high-mile-club-t769.htm?highlight=mile

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Don't expect any relief from the dealer, unless they listed the pulleys as "inspected and ok" on your receipt. On the other hand, when they replaced the belts, I can't BELIEVE they didn't suggest and recommend replacing all the pulleys at the same time. That's a no-brainer for a shop, and your car with it's higher mileage.

Like AA said, $500 is not a rip off when you're paying someone else (a professional) to do the job. Dealer shop rate here is $99/hr. It's a pain in the arse, really. I did my own this past spring. It's not a job for everyone, though most could get it done if they wanted to.
Back to top Go down
96rivgirlla
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 5:56 pm

i felt totally ripped off a couple months later when i found out how much the parts were. I know better now and plan on doing my belts myself (with SOME other ppls help) i guess the factory ones are kinda cheap? I'm going to replace it with the bigger pulley from intense so hopefully this will not happen again. In the past weeks (with help from you guys!) i have pieced together what happened to my car.

first, it was a little low on oil and i was running 40wt oil which i guess is a little too thick then the belt broke off i guess making the s/c not run which made the engine run harder and low on oil... then poof! that's what i THINK happened. but either way i will get the engine soon hopefully and im sure i will be on here asking how to install certain parts of it. I got the cherry picker and 2 car men to help, i just need a place or my apt. mgr. will kill me for doing another swap in my parking spot. LOL
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 6:23 pm

I don't know what you're saying.....can you "sign it"?

FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 Koko_Vocab_4Signs
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 7:09 pm

u should do the rwd conversion with a sbc 350 and a turbo 350 trany!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 9:56 pm

The OEM belts are not 'cheap', but the OEM pullies and more importantly, their bearings, are 'cheap'. I prefer the Dayco metal replacement pullies, they seem to have decent bearings and they don't scrub down like the plastic ones do.

Unfortunately, when a bearing goes bad, it usually wipes out the belt too.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 11:35 pm

1wickedninja wrote:
u should do the rwd conversion with a sbc 350 and a turbo 350 trany!

Why does everyone wanna put a damn sbc in every frickin car? She drives a Buick that came with a Buick engine. Put a Buick engine in it. headbutt
Back to top Go down
baynes72
Amateur

Name : chris

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 11:52 pm

401 nailheads are hard to come across. happy
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 8:09 am

I agree with Dave, she should just put a SII or SIII S/C back in it.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 11:12 am

baynes72 wrote:
401 nailheads are hard to come across. happy

Not really. But I wouldn't put one in a last gen Riv. This is the way to go:

FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 DYNOREADY

TT 3.8 aluminum block. smile
Back to top Go down
96rivgirlla
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 1:01 pm

1st : haha chicken ur an a$$
2nd - rwd? im barely past which is go and which is not go. lol and i hate turbo's - they lag - i have no patience. im just putting a used in and using my same s/c and am changing my s/c and tensioner pulley all at the same time

1998riv's pic is nice! im sure the lapd would be just thrilled if i was zooming by morning traffic on the fwy in that thing - i didnt know you could completly make them drag cars like that
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 1:07 pm

It's the only RWD, track-only last gen Riv that I'm aware of. The owner spent a few years putting it together before finally getting it to the track last year. Still needing a lot of tuning time, I think he ran in the 7's. Don't know about this summer.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulleys   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 8:14 pm

Took the car to a trusted mechanic today and had him replace the belt (Old won jumped the pulley once and shredded it a little). Wasn't about to fight with the car in the cold to do it myself. Anyways, when I drove the car home I noticed a new, annoying sound. Under light to moderate acceleration there is noise from the motor that sounds like noisy exhaust. It never made the sound before, and while not excrucatingly loud it really irritates me.

It only does it when the motor torques up under load, if I put it in neutral and rev up it doesn't do it. If the car goes into overdrive it's pretty quiet but from light to light, oh god it won't stop making that sound. Thinking about taking it back to them and asking what they did to it because it's making noise now. What should I tell them I think the problem is? A gasket that's coming loose or something? It had to be something they did because it never made this noise before.
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 8:34 pm

If he's a trusted mechanic, there should be a warranty on the work. Take it back and make him look at it for free.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 8:37 pm

Planned on it, but they'll probably tell me it's just normal or some crap even though I know it didn't do it. They also rummaged through my center console for some reason. Don't know why, but I remember how I had my stuff in there and they made a mess out of it. Plus, they got grease all over the fender on the passenger side. Topped with the fresh bird shit, my car looks filthy and I just scrubbed it down good about three or four days ago.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 8:54 pm

What kind of exhaust sound? High-pitched & harsh, or low & drone-like? Have you checked the area they worked on to be sure it's not something else, like the belts or pulleys? Was it making any other noises before they worked on it?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 9:47 pm

That's bullshit. You should empty everything out of your car before letting people inside just because most have "not responsible for items lost or stolen" sign. Were they checking something down in the "trap door?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next