Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions

Go down 
+32
IFallsRon
al_roethlisberger
moldymac
Nez
Abaddon
Joby70739
DEMonte1997
robotennis61
97rivsc
manofmany
duster_do_little
Rickw
millerje18
Sweepspear
ibmoses
Shintsu
baynes72
1wickedninja
Chicken
captshiner
96rivgirlla
Mr.Riviera
texasfan010
deekster_caddy
turtleman
TonySmooth89
BillBoost37
albertj
Jason
Jack the R
AA
1998 Riv
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 12:02 am

They didn't take anything, but I am not about to pull ALL of the stuff in my center console out for that. There's a ton of stuff crammed in there.

AA, it is a low drone-like sound. Not harsh, it almost sounds like maybe if I took the resonator off or something but not quite as loud. It's an exhaust noise, I'm positive. It's not a belt or anything making the noise. The only noises it made before were some S/C noise due to the coupler but that was it.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 12:10 pm

Hey, Shintsu, the noise might be co-incidental. Even with the best of maintenance, in higher mileage cars someting is always 'going.' It's as likely not something the mechanic did as it is that it is.

IF it was the supercharger belt that was replaced, might want to look and see if the bolt and ferrule were inadvertently not replaced or not tightened all the way in teh bottom right corner of the passenger side engine mount.

Also might want to check the motor and transmission mounts.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 11:53 pm

Found out that it sort of was something they did - but not really something they could be blamed for. The noise is apparently coming from the tensioner pulley. Fix one thing (torn up belt) and break another doing it. Bullshit...dealer says $158 for the part and no telling what labor would be.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 10:52 am

The tensioner pulley is about $35-50 if you shop around. The mechanic should fix it for you, since the problem was almost directly related to the area they were working in. If the pulley was bad, they should've noticed and offered to fix while they had the belt off. If it was good, it should not be making noise now. This is looking like more than just coincidence.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 11:07 am

My dad is the one who took it back up and had them look at it and they even when he took it up there took a wrench to it and showed my dad that's what was doing it. It's funny that this pulley can make what sounds like an exhausty sound. It's not like there's a squeaking or anything under the hood, it's an exhausty sound for certain.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 5:31 pm

Hmm.... wonder if the pulley fragged the belt?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 11:29 pm

Well, the belt managed to ride up on the lip of the supercharger pulley and that frayed the edges of the belt. That's what caused the belt to get torn up in the first place. What caused that to actually happen though, I don't know.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 5:57 pm

The wifes car started making a racket Monday. It was the pulley on the SC tensioner. Since it was dark by the time I get off work and I dont have time to fix the problem I let a local AC Delco certified shop repair it. I have used them several times before and they try their best to do good work.

They replaced all the pulleys for the Supercharger belt. $192.15 I thought that was a fair price.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 7:05 pm

ibmoses wrote:
The wifes car started making a racket Monday. It was the pulley on the SC tensioner. Since it was dark by the time I get off work and I dont have time to fix the problem I let a local AC Delco certified shop repair it. I have used them several times before and they try their best to do good work.

They replaced all the pulleys for the Supercharger belt. $192.15 I thought that was a fair price.

Bert tavis

That sounds like a bargain.

By the way, I just this afternoon replaced my SC belt without removing that cast iron engine mount bracket that attaches to the block.

I removed the nut off the top stud, removed the nut and stud from the bottom one and was able to wiggle that spacer out.
The tough part was getting the spacer back in place since the crank sensor harness is right there, and you have to feel your way around blind. censor

These different engineering departments should have gotten together for coffee now and then.
There is no excuse for making belt replacement such an ordeal. suspect

cheers
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 10:07 pm

ibmoses wrote:

Bert tavis

Bert, are you sure they replaced the lower idler pulley, the one that is TRAPPED by the engine mount? I'm surprised they did it that cheap, even though it was only the SC system.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 10:16 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
ibmoses wrote:

Bert tavis

Bert, are you sure they replaced the lower idler pulley, the one that is TRAPPED by the engine mount? I'm surprised they did it that cheap, even though it was only the SC system.

Yep, I checked.

I asked the shop manager if he knew what he was getting into when I carried the car to get it fixed.
He had already told me it would be no problem, so I said what are we looking at here... $300 to 400.00 ?
He told me it should be less than $200.00, maybe they gave me a break because they did not realize it would be harder to do than a SC Regal or PA.
I will call next week and ask the guy, he is a friend from my dirt track racing days and this is a really good shop, or so it seems to be...

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
millerje18
Enthusiast
millerje18

Name : Jordan
Merit : 1

PostSubject: need advice about bearings   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 11:41 am

im a college student and dont know much about engines ans so forth. And my car has been making a terrible loud sound for the past two days. I thought it was my supercharger since ive been trying to get it rebuilt for like 2 years. but when i brought it in to the auto repair shop he just said the i need a new bearing since it's chipping away. I dont want to get jipped off by him,

Does anyone know a reasonable price for a bearing to be replaced by a mechanic?

Last edited by millerje18 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 12:01 pm

you can check on ebay for rebuilt superchargers and kits; it would take a couple hours to properly remove and reinstall teh supercharger. Add $70 or so for miscellaneous gaskets and shop supplies.

one thing that might frustrate you about the Riviera is that it's a luxury car and unless you are doing the repairs yourself they get real expensive real fast. If you are not doing the work yourself you might set some time aside to learn.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 12:25 pm

What bearing did they say needs replacing. ???
Supercharger bearing or something else ???
Back to top Go down
millerje18
Enthusiast
millerje18

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 12:28 pm

Rickw wrote:
What bearing did they say needs replacing. ???
Supercharger bearing or something else ???

it was a bearing that was connected to the belt. there was residue from it since it was chipping and grinding off.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 12:34 pm

Is that a bearing or a pulley? You got a picture (cell phone snapshot?)
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 12:37 pm

Sound like a pulley bearing. Can't tell which one from your description but they are not expensive. I just changed a tensioner pulley with bearing and the part cost me $20.00 and 10 minutes to change it.
I don't know which one of your's is chirping but any one of the pulley's are not expensive.
If they are talking about the bearings inside the supercharger then that's a different story, but it doesn't sound like it from your brief description.
Bring it to someone else for a second opinion and write down what they tell you specifically so we can help you.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 1:48 pm

If it is a bad idler or tensioner pulley bearing, you'll need to fix it soon. They tend to fail quickly after they start making noise. The pulleys are easy to change except for the one inside the engine mount. If it's that one, you might want to let the mechanic do the job.

I've never heard of a bearing going bad in the supercharger. Very unlikely unless you're out of supercharger oil (also unlikely).

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
millerje18
Enthusiast
millerje18

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 2:03 pm

there saying to install a new bearing they want 200$ for them to buy it and get it shipped to them. and 100dollars to install the new bearing.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 2:05 pm

There are lots of bearing on the car. Did they say which bearing?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
millerje18
Enthusiast
millerje18

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 2:07 pm

he said it was an ac clutch that was making the noise
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 2:32 pm

OK, that explains things better.
The whole clutch mechanism is replaceable and that price seems about right to me.
Mine was replaced a few years ago, don't remember the exact cost but that seems close.
That's a job that requires special tools and is better handled by a competent shop.
Back to top Go down
millerje18
Enthusiast
millerje18

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 2:44 pm

thanks a lot. i appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
duster_do_little
Enthusiast
duster_do_little

Name : Dustin
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 4:25 pm

my tensioner pulley fragged on me in december. It was at like 155k miles. I replaced it with a smooth metal one, but that's all I could find at any of the autoshops. AutoZone and Advance didn't even carry a 3" idler pulley. Luckily it's an easy fix
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 5:52 pm

Well - the metal one won't frag like the plastic ones, but is somewhat higher drag on the engine. You can get billet aluminum pulleys for lots of $$. Plastic ones should be available from RockAuto.com among other places.

When you replace a pulley, be sure to check the others and replace all that have any binding,.. and use a silver or white Sharpie to write the date somewhere on the face of each pulley you replace.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions   FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Fragged Tensioner/Idler Pulley Reports & Questions
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next