Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts

Go down 
+58
KnottyEagle
my95riv
c0reyl
Abaddon
dbs99riv
Tha Great Riviera SC95
chitown_riv98
abaucom
highwaywarrior
RidzRiv
LARRY70GS
2000ws6transam
rk0ehn
DEMonte1997
setsuna57
dboydakid
RivieraTim
95rivy
BMD
97 park ave
flyineagle96
epic612
Lenrapkins
VegasScott
gabbysRiviera
Riviboi95
madrivage
Hard4unot2
nigelf
Eldo
robotennis61
RivieraRyan
mikemc
lionfish
hotrod58
98riv
Rickw
Chicken
Supercharged
daltonultra
andrzejsze
Buickman104
AA
deekster_caddy
ewolfe0050
Mr.Riviera
Turbocharged400sbc
98RIV7777
1998 Riv
albertj
BillBoost37
steve1173
97rivman
turtleman
oldsman105
Jack the R
62 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 4:27 pm

Does anybody need the cast iron Rear Trans/Eng. Mount that is bolted to the engine cradle. I have 2 extras with old rubber in them. The rubber mount part is available from the aftermarket.

Having the steel part of the mount might make it easier for you to install the new rubber part (filled with polyurethane or 3M Windo-Weld) before trying to swap things out.

You can then have your rear mount complete and ready for swap without trying to replace the rubber mount only while under the car.

I have 2 of them and will ship for cost of shipping if anyone is interested. Just thought I'd ask.

I also have a used front mount if anyone is interested also.

Rick
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 10:33 pm

Ill take one Rick. Can you give me an estimate to 15057 please? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 6:54 pm

Andrew,
PM sent.
Rick
Back to top Go down
kmorris
Rookie

Name : Kyle
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 EmptySun Feb 19, 2017 2:27 pm

Is everybody still happy with the hockey puck motor mount mod?  I think I need to replace mine and reading this I'm not sure if I should be doing the hockey puck mod or just buy new ones and fill them in with the window caulk. Sounds like there is an option to fill in the old ones with caulk too.  There is definitely some economics to doing the hockey puck mod though.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2017 12:33 pm

I wouldn't fill the old ones. Get a new replacement, or use the puck stack for the front/side mount.

For the rear, pucks are not really an easy option. I bought a new replacement and filled with 08609 window weld. Be aware that replacing the front and rear mounts with solid versions will increase vibration into the cabin, especially through the steering wheel. Filling the rear produces the most vibration; pucks up front a little less.

Links to front and rear mount write-ups are on page 1 of this thread.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

Name : terrance

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 12:52 pm

If I have read this right. I can order the tranny mounts and just be about to swap it out with just the bushing?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 2:31 pm

9ty7rivi wrote:
If I have read this right. I can order the tranny mounts and just be about to swap it out with just the bushing?

Only the rear mount. It comes as just an insert. The front mount is an assembly, and the BIG mount in the RF corner is unobtanium....discontinued.
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

Name : terrance

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Abaddon wrote:

9ty7rivi wrote:

Only the rear mount. It comes as just an insert. The front mount is an assembly, and the BIG mount in the RF corner is unobtanium....discontinued.

Thanks for the quick response! My side motor mount is actually still in pretty good shape. My tranny mounts are the problem, especially the front and side. So, I am able to obtain either of the tranny mounts? I apologize for sounding repetitive.bow
Back to top Go down
Steve98
Steve98

Name : Steve

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 3:01 pm

May I ask a possibly stupid question? Are these mounts sold by RockAuto the correct engine/transmission mounts for my '96? Of course, I don't want to pay the ACDelco prices. Are the other ones acceptable alternatives? As I understand it, three of the four mounts are replaceable. I don't have the ability to change them myself, so I'm going to have my mechanic do it (after he verifies they need to be replaced). I want to make sure there's a way for him to get reasonably priced parts.

motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 1YbGbx6h
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 11:49 am

Steve98 wrote:
May I ask a possibly stupid question? Are these mounts sold by RockAuto the correct engine/transmission mounts for my '96? Of course, I don't want to pay the ACDelco prices. Are the other ones acceptable alternatives? As I understand it, three of the four mounts are replaceable. I don't have the ability to change them myself, so I'm going to have my mechanic do it (after he verifies they need to be replaced). I want to make sure there's a way for him to get reasonably priced parts.

motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 1YbGbx6h

The Delco mounts are supposed to use a different elastomer (not rubber) and are supposed to last longer. I don't know if they still do.

Many of us shop RockAuto for parts.
Back to top Go down
Steve98
Steve98

Name : Steve

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks. I wanted to make sure there were affordable mount options available before I took the car to my mechanic, but turns out the current mounts are OK, according to my mechanic. Seems unusual to me considering the age of the car, but maybe the original owner replaced the mounts.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2019 5:24 pm

Steve98 wrote:
Thanks. I wanted to make sure there were affordable mount options available before I took the car to my mechanic, but turns out the current mounts are OK, according to my mechanic. Seems unusual to me considering the age of the car, but maybe the original owner replaced the mounts.

The mounts can last a long time if you accelerate relatively gently.

You would be wise to look at the mounts yourself. There's "wiggle room" in what different folks call OK.

What you can do is have someone stand on the brakes, set the parking brake too, and with the hood open blip the throttle. If the engine moves much it would not be a waste to replace the engine and transmission mounts. Before the mounts are totally wack the engine will move a lot like that. As powerful as the engine is, you can kill the mounts by doing that test repeatedly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts
Page 10 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10