Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts

Go down 
+58
KnottyEagle
my95riv
c0reyl
Abaddon
dbs99riv
Tha Great Riviera SC95
chitown_riv98
abaucom
highwaywarrior
RidzRiv
LARRY70GS
2000ws6transam
rk0ehn
DEMonte1997
setsuna57
dboydakid
RivieraTim
95rivy
BMD
97 park ave
flyineagle96
epic612
Lenrapkins
VegasScott
gabbysRiviera
Riviboi95
madrivage
Hard4unot2
nigelf
Eldo
robotennis61
RivieraRyan
mikemc
lionfish
hotrod58
98riv
Rickw
Chicken
Supercharged
daltonultra
andrzejsze
Buickman104
AA
deekster_caddy
ewolfe0050
Mr.Riviera
Turbocharged400sbc
98RIV7777
1998 Riv
albertj
BillBoost37
steve1173
97rivman
turtleman
oldsman105
Jack the R
62 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts Empty
PostSubject: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptySun May 13, 2007 9:57 pm

Note from admin: this thread contains general info regarding the mounts used in various Riviera years, sources to acquire parts, and known issues/solutions. For specific procedures and Write-Ups for installation, fabrication of mounts, visit the following links:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t2586-write-up-hockey-puck-casting-front-side-motor-mounts

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t6797p30-write-up-filled-rear-motor-transmission-mount#113123

________

Spotted in the old RegalGS.org forum -

Cheap motor mounts.

$12 instead of $250.
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptySun May 13, 2007 10:10 pm

where was this 6 moths ago when I spent $300 on a new mount. This should be stickied. Thanks for the info
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptySun May 13, 2007 11:36 pm

does energy make anything for the riv or any other superior brands? I kind of need to replace the front driver and would like to replace all of them with better ones if available and doesnt cost an arm a leg and a nut
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: life saving engine mount?   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyTue Nov 20, 2007 11:33 pm

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/whatsnew1.php?id=26

Will this mount fit the riv? The only mount i've really looked at on the riv is the passenger side one which is clearly a different mount.
Back to top Go down
97rivman
Fanatic
97rivman

Name : alex
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyWed Nov 21, 2007 12:51 pm

NO, that mount is for regals and grand prixs...there is a small cradle that bolts to the lower front of the engine and then sits on a subframe slot that is different than ours. You woud need to get a whole different subframe.
Back to top Go down
steve1173
Amateur

Name : stephen rabinowitz
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts (Series II SC)   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 1:49 pm

On my 98 I was told I need all three bottom engine/trans mounts as they say the dogbone one is good. My mechanic checked & there are no aftermarket ones around & the dealer parts want $299.61 for the front, $137.30 for the left & $328.89 for the rear. I checked GM parts dirct & they are somewhat cheaper. but don't list part #'s so not sure if it is right.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 5:04 pm

Check with Napa..I've had good luck there and using a AAA card you save 7%
Back to top Go down
steve1173
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 5:38 pm

Tried Napa online & the result I got was,
There were no matches for your search. I checked with a manufacturer of aftermarker Westar & they only make one mount not hte other 2.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 11:00 pm

if you use gmpartsdirect, go ahead and use the catalog to locate the items, put them inthe shopping cart, then use the 'view cart' option. The part numbers show up in the shopping cart before checkout. You can move them to the wish list if you want to print out the list and do price comparisons elsewhere. Maybe RockAuto?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 8:21 am

Please.. don't end your searches with online only. Many times a mount is called something different. On my Bonnie..I call them motor mounts..but they are technically trans mounts and no even listed in the same area.

Call..stop in.. have the people do the work for you.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 1:21 pm

We could probably all use new mounts with our cars being 10+ years old, but that doesn't mean we all NEED them. I had the passenger side mount off to do belts and pulleys a few weeks ago, and yes it was worn, but certainly functional. I'd question the true need to replace yours. What is the year/model and mileage?
Back to top Go down
steve1173
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 9:30 pm

98 with 78000 miles. You can feel the engine vibrate. Also put the trans in reverse it kicks.
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 9:37 pm

Ya, i wish we could get the trans mount cheaper from somewhere other then the dealer, mine kicks when I shift in or out of reverse too, and I have tried EVERY parts store and NONE of them carry any of our engine or trans mounts other then the dealership, and they want way too much for them$$$$$$
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 11:54 pm

rockauto.com should be 40-50% below dealer list price.
Back to top Go down
steve1173
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 6:26 am

Checked online with rockauto no go.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 9:57 am

steve1173 wrote:
On my 98 I was told I need all three bottom engine/trans mounts as they say the dogbone one is good. My mechanic checked & there are no aftermarket ones around & the dealer parts want $299.61 for the front, $137.30 for the left & $328.89 for the rear. I checked GM parts dirct & they are somewhat cheaper. but don't list part #'s so not sure if it is right.

Ask your dealer for a printed quote, that will give you the part numbers. Plug them into gmpartsdirect. Or do as stated above: gmpartsdirect has a Catalog you can browse thru and make selections without having to know the part numbers at first. The catalog selections can be moved to your cart and part numbers will be available.
Back to top Go down
Turbocharged400sbc
Fanatic

Name : James
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 2:18 pm

chrysler K car front engine mounts ~12$ each can be readily adapted for use, leave the voids for a stiffer than stock mounting or fill them in with rubber chunks from your OE mount inserts for even stiffer mounts
front mount required two small pices of 1/4 inch plate to be tacked in for spacers, the rear needed one cut to the chrysler mounts steel shell and then it gets shoved into the rear mount, i also chose to shim it with a 3/16ths plate and one 1/4 inch plate.

the plates/shims are no more than 2x2 inches square.

for 24$ and 4 hours of work you cant go wrong...
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/write-up-rubber-trans-mounts-t2841.htm
Back to top Go down
http://www.sinisterdragdesign.com
steve1173
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 6:19 pm

It seems I need the motor/trans mounts but there are no aftermarket ones available only from GM & the list is about $950 for all 4 + installation but I checked on the net & can get them for about $650 + the installation. Wonder why there are no aftermarket parts for it. When my mechanic called the dealer for the main one the dealer seemed shocked when he said $328.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 6:26 pm

check the threads about making your own mounts wink hockey pucks work and so do other mounts off other odd ball cars with a little modification.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 7:34 am

When you replace the mounts, keep the takeoffs and overhaul them using polyurethane. Do a search on this forum to find the instructions.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

PostSubject: Removing rear trans mount?   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 1:43 pm

Since my car is down for a while due to Trans issues. I figure now is a good time to remove the rear trans mount and try to repair it. I am thinking of doing what ewolf did to his. Anybody got any pointers and or shortcuts to get this out.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 2:14 pm

Good luck- it's a bear but pretty straight forward. I had my cradle dropped so it made it a little easier. There is very limited room to move around. If your trans is removed for repair it will be much easier.

BTW- if you go with the poly mounts, I think you will be happy. Mine settled after a couple weeks of driving and I love them. Keep in mind I went hard 80A for performance but I think you will be happy with 60A.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 4:28 pm

can somebody sticky the whole thread about how you made those mounts? I'm going to be referring back to it soon too.

Thanks!
-Derek
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 5:39 pm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 7:55 pm

Well the car is going to sit for a week or to till I get my New TCC and some other items. So I am hoping to do this while the car is stopped. I am thinking about using JBweld to fill in the gaps in the mount. Anybody think this is a bad idea? nervous
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next