Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts

Go down 
+58
KnottyEagle
my95riv
c0reyl
Abaddon
dbs99riv
Tha Great Riviera SC95
chitown_riv98
abaucom
highwaywarrior
RidzRiv
LARRY70GS
2000ws6transam
rk0ehn
DEMonte1997
setsuna57
dboydakid
RivieraTim
95rivy
BMD
97 park ave
flyineagle96
epic612
Lenrapkins
VegasScott
gabbysRiviera
Riviboi95
madrivage
Hard4unot2
nigelf
Eldo
robotennis61
RivieraRyan
mikemc
lionfish
hotrod58
98riv
Rickw
Chicken
Supercharged
daltonultra
andrzejsze
Buickman104
AA
deekster_caddy
ewolfe0050
Mr.Riviera
Turbocharged400sbc
98RIV7777
1998 Riv
albertj
BillBoost37
steve1173
97rivman
turtleman
oldsman105
Jack the R
62 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 8:41 pm

I've heard a lot of guys on other forums use the JB Weld method so it must work fine. If it's going to be down a week you just as well should do the poly cast. I think the individual 1lb kit runs $28 which is easy enough to do a single mount. I think JB Weld (very hard) against old mount rubber (very soft) might cause a few problems...
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 10:00 am

ewolfe0050 wrote:
Good luck- it's a bear but pretty straight forward. I had my cradle dropped so it made it a little easier. There is very limited room to move around. If your trans is removed for repair it will be much easier.

BTW- if you go with the poly mounts, I think you will be happy. Mine settled after a couple weeks of driving and I love them. Keep in mind I went hard 80A for performance but I think you will be happy with 60A.

Damn you weren't kidding. I am still working on it. Got 4 bolts off mad .
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 10:05 am

lmao lmao At least you have some down time to work on it... good luck!
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 2:13 pm

I wouldn't go JB Weld. It's a hard material that could crack quicker than the poly.

I've got my front mount in my truck. I should have reviewed this and redone the rear mount. Darn it.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 2:19 pm

Update?? What did you decide to go with OEM, poly, or JB weld?
Back to top Go down
Buickman104
Enthusiast

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 12:06 am

Most likely going with JB Weld, because it was made by God! J/K

Because of time constraints and the ease of availability.
Back to top Go down
andrzejsze
Rookie

Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 11:50 pm

I found this trans mount on autozone and it's only 100.99 . Unfortunately that was after I paid to put on used ones bonk
Link
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 1:08 am

wow, thanks andrzejsze< I've been looking everywhere for this, I will bring this part number in to autozone first thing tomorrow, thanks again
Back to top Go down
andrzejsze
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 11:41 pm

I see my link has changed but the part number is A5236 (97 riviera transmission mount) on the autozone web page
Back to top Go down
daltonultra
daltonultra

PostSubject: Easy solution to floppy front trans mount!   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 11:01 pm

Enrique, you're gonna hate me for not thinking of this sooner...

Everyone knows by now about the hockey-puck mount that is so great for the 00+ Bonneville, and the later PAs. Well, us platform-mates from prior to 2000 have a little problem, as Oldsman can tell you. Our mounts aren't hydraulic. They have a square bushing, set up-right, and the trans side of the mount is a bracket that has a bolt that goes through the bushing. So we don't even have the hole to install the puck mount.

Well, after the frustrating experience yesterday of trying to get my front header off so I could get a drill in there to MAKE a hole, only to fail because the sleeve fit at the crossover pipe had WELDED itself together, I had a minor brainstorm. I hopped in, headed to Lowe's and grabbed 3' of 3/8" coated steel cable, and a couple cable-clamps. Came back, crawled under the car, and shoved one end of the cable up between the subframe and splash tray right by the motor mount. Then from above, I passed it over the bushing bolt and back down, crossed it under to the other side of the mount, and then back down again. Then I crawled under with the clamps and a ratchet and pulled the cables as tight as I could, and clamped it. Two clamps,for a little extra security. I passed the extra cable back up through the splash tray. So, now my motor mount is restricted to about 1/2" of movement back, which means no THUDding when I force a downshift. It even smoothed out the upshifts alot. And, unlike the puck-mount, it doesn't transfer any more vibration to the frame than an unaltered mount, unless your standing on it.

Old drag-racing trick.

Pretty simple, really, run it over either side on the mount, and cross it underneath. I need to clean up the extra, but you want to leave the tails so you can snug it down if it loosens at some point. I'll tuck the tails down today.

motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 0824081143
motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 0824081143a
Back to top Go down
Supercharged
Addict
Supercharged

Name : Blake

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 11:45 pm

thats what they call in school, brainstorming
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 5:14 pm

Nice!!!
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 6:00 pm

I dont understand what you did....sorry....
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:03 pm

i'm a little confused myself. so you just strapped the center bushing bolt to the sub frame? or are you filling space between rubber/housing with the cord?

Back to top Go down
daltonultra
daltonultra

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 9:06 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
i'm a little confused myself. so you just strapped the center bushing bolt to the sub frame?

Bingo!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 7:12 am

maybe this should be new thread - but -

I want to get a set of polyurethane-filled motor/transmission mounts. Do any of you knwo who I can send an old set of mounts to for gutting and refilling with PU? Please advise, thanks.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 7:38 pm

TTT
Anyone have any input and/or experience doing this. I'm interested also.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 7:56 pm

there is a thread about doing exactly this. Search is your friend. I'm pretty sure it's written by ewolfe, and subject is something like 'polyurethane engine mounts' or something.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 8:09 pm

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/write-up-rubber-trans-mounts-version-2-t2843.htm#32321

This should get you started... On the P mount I found the round tube I used augered out the hole after time. I replaced with factory new today (30min!) and will try a slightly different approach. I am going with a square bar with the middle drilled out to prevent alot of movement. Make sure the flat top and bottom are in line with up and down movement and you should be fine. eg...

this doesn't work too well after a while....
motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 No11

this should offer more support...
motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 Yes10

I think I am going to be a graphics designer when I grow up bonk

By the way the two trans mounts have held up great. They are just up and down movement not the rocking that the P mount goes though....
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 8:15 pm

Also, some people have adapted the Bonneville's lower front trans mount to replace our front mount. It seems to be a direct swap if you have all the Bonneville bracketry, and offers better support. Plus you can then remove the rubber all together and put some hockey pucks in their place... dunce
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 8:15 pm

Eric,
Where do I get the materials to make some myself and also is there any reading material you can recommend on the different grades of polyurethanes.
I would like to talk to someone about this and be able to speak somewhat intelligently about the subject.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 8:29 pm

Read the posted thread and it has all the info in it. Rickw.

For anyone who wants to do the hockey mount with Bonnie bracket, I have a bracket (OEM new) that will do the job... I figured while I did the others in poly might as well do them all but I have heard good things about the hockey mount way too.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 9:52 pm

I didn't recognize the number references you were giving for the different grades of urethane. Now I realize its the Rockwell Hardness Shore A, found under Rockwell R hardness charts for polymers. Makers more sense to me now.
I re-read your thread and am not completely sure which one chose for the trans mounts that you said are holding up real good. Is it the 60A or the 80A and would you recommend the 80A for a daily driver or the 60A.?
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 10:44 pm

I use 80A hardness on all of my mounts (except for the driver's side which I haven't found out how to do yet), and suggest it for a performance car. If you are worried about vibration go with the 60A. Although wthout a inner ballance shaft, REALLY lopey cam, and 80A mounts, I don't think it is too bad on my car...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 11:17 pm

Thanks for the pointer to the mount fabrication instructions.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next